Greater Victoria police forces issues and news

• Please log in to reply
3331 replies to this topic

#1701 Banksy

Banksy
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 09:27 AM

https://twitter.com/...399819747880962

The millennial blogger brigade of Victoria that believes they’re journalists are obviously unaware they’re peddling cringe level insufferable mediocrity. Imagine the level of self absorbency to not see it.

Edited by Banksy, 19 September 2021 - 09:30 AM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#1702 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 06:13 AM

The millennial blogger brigade of Victoria that believes they’re journalists are obviously unaware they’re peddling cringe level insufferable mediocrity. Imagine the level of self absorbency to not see it.

Content quality aside, journalists opining on major issues via their social media accounts makes them advocates, not journalists. As Canadians we are free to choose our own adventures but the level of advocacy I see, that is described by the advocates as journalism, is more prevalent now than ever.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1703 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 09:00 AM

It's a real honour to be on the newest episode of the True Blue podcast.  This episode touches on my current work with the team at VIIMCU, and my past work in community policing, beat & patrol. We discuss my off-duty advocacy efforts as well as my human rights case. Plus you can learn all about my bad driving.  :cop:

• Mike K., Nparker, sebberry and 2 others like this

#1704 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 09:05 AM

Awesome, David, thank you.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1705 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 September 2021 - 09:51 AM

Tim Ford is complaining about how many releases and tweets VicPD is putting out, saying it's making crime look worse than it is.  

I commend VicPD for getting the news out, especially now that the new radio system is in place and the public has been locked out of listening to what's going on in the community.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1706 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 09:54 AM

What’s also clear is there is a lot more criminality taking place than what they do report. Like the axe attack at a downtown condo that I have been informed happened, but so far there are limited details and no word from VicPD.

So that makes me ask, out of the shocking information they are telling us, there is obviously shocking information they are not telling us.
  • Love the rock and rmpeers like this

Know it all.

#1707 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,002 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 09:55 AM

the combination of more VicPD releases, less reporters out there in general (so more just repeating press releases) and then the lightning speed of social media to move them around can in many ways make it seem like there is more crime.

#1708 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 09:56 AM

There is more crime today than in 2016. Prove me wrong.

Know it all.

#1709 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 04:42 PM

What’s also clear is there is a lot more criminality taking place than what they do report. Like the axe attack at a downtown condo that I have been informed happened, but so far there are limited details and no word from VicPD.

So that makes me ask, out of the shocking information they are telling us, there is obviously shocking information they are not telling us.

Yes. If Ford actually believes vicpd are overstating things, I have to question how much he has researched his subject. But of course, he is not really reporting but seemingly supporting an anti cop agenda.

#1710 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 04:47 PM

Ford sucks.

He is also claiming he has suffered a hard day on social media today.

#1711 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 06:14 AM

-Looks like this is replacing Steve Wallace's column...

You never forget that post-crash silence  
  • Times Colonist
  • 24 Sep 2021
  • JOHN DUCKER
  •  
  • ducker.png
Over his career in law enforcement, retired deputy police chief John Ducker found that traffic safety was always the No. 1 community concern.

It was my first fatal crash scene. A Toyota Celica heading east on Fairfield Road had drifted sideways over the boulevard near Moss Street. The passenger door had slammed into a tree, bending the car into a near perfect horseshoe.

Calls lit up the switchboard, as the sound of the crash must have been horrendous. When I arrived, the driver’s head was flopped out of his open window, resting against the door post. His eyes were wide open, staring up to the sky.

There wasn’t any blood or gore, really, but his limbs were splayed into disturbing, unnatural contortions. The seatbelt dangled, unused, near his misshapen shoulder. He was around 18 or 19.

Even as a rookie, with only 18 months’ service, I knew the coroner’s attendance would simply be a formality.

More: https://www.timescol...ence-1.24360001

#1712 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 06:43 AM

Police departments in Greater Victoria hope to improve their relationships with Black, Indigenous, South Asian and LGBTQ communities by talking with people about their experiences with law enforcement.

At the request of police chiefs, the Greater Victoria Police Diversity Advisory Committee has launched a series of five conversations engaging ­people who are ­Indigenous, Black, South Asian, East and Southeast Asian and part of LGBTQ ­communities on ­systemic racism and ­community-police relationships.

https://www.timescol...lice-1.24359864

skin colour affects police response locally here?  i do not see Latinos on the list above, are they treated fairly then?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 September 2021 - 06:45 AM.

#1713 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 03:10 PM

Rather amusingly, the weblink contained in the last line of this press release doesn't take you to the @VicPDCanada Twitter page at all - instead, you are connected to the Instagram page of local protestor @okimawiskwew :)

Traffic Disruptions Anticipated During Downtown Protest

Date: Friday, September 24, 2021

File: #21-39028

Victoria, BC – Traffic disruptions are anticipated downtown during a protest downtown today.

A protest group has organized a rally at the B.C. Legislature starting at noon today. The group plans to march following the rally.

The Integrated Public Safety Unit (PSU) and VicPD Traffic officers will on scene to help keep everyone safe. The right to safe, peaceful and lawful protest is protected under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Please follow our @VicPDCanada Twitter account for the latest updates.

#1714 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 07:33 PM

They are protesting about downtown?

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1715 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 10:04 PM

They are protesting about downtown?

Whatever their paid to protest .

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#1716 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 04:56 AM

Working together isn’t always easy, but it’s crucial
  • Times Colonist
  • 26 Sep 2021
  • CHARLA HUBER 

There has been tension in our community and communities across this continent when it comes to policing. Regardless of your position on these issues, everyone has the right to go to work and be safe.

On Saturday, I received a text from a friend sharing a post about Victoria Police Chief Del Manak being assaulted at the legislature. My friend texted because she knows I am on the Victoria-Esquimalt Police Board.

Manak was at the legislature as part of an event honouring Chantel Moore, a Vancouver Island Indigenous woman killed during a police wellness check in New Brunswick last year.

Morehttps://digitaltimes...282291028384239

#1717 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 27 September 2021 - 05:35 PM

“The Oak Bay Police Department is accepting resumes for our Reserve Constable Program. The next class is scheduled to begin in January 2022. We have two positions open. The deadline for applications is Friday, October 15th, 2021 at 4:00pm”:
https://oakbaypolice...stable-program/

#1718 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 06 October 2021 - 08:29 AM

Seven VicPD Officers Redeployed To Patrol Division From Integrated Units

Date:   Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Victoria, BC – Seven VicPD officers assigned to three integrated units have been redeployed to VicPD’s Patrol Division as part of ongoing efforts to address continuing shortfalls in our front-line response capability.

Preview-Image-Chief-Manak-Announcment-vi

Chief Del Manak Announces The Redeployment of Seven Officers

To The Patrol Division From Integrated Units

A total of seven VicPD officers assigned to the Capital Regional District Integrated Road Safety Unit (CRD-IRSU), the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit-BC (CFSEU-BC), and the Integrated National Security Enforcement Team (INSET) will be redeployed to our Patrol Division.  Once these changes take effect on November 7th, VicPD will have no officers remaining with those integrated units.

Officer injuries, both physical and psychological, combined with the volume, complexity and severity of calls have placed a strain on the Patrol Division that is neither acceptable nor sustainable. This redeployment of officers to VicPD’s Patrol Division is intended to better meet public expectations regarding VicPD’s ability to respond to calls for service.

“When citizens call for help, they expect that an officer will arrive to help them quickly,” Chief Constable Del Manak said. “Without this change and further changes, VicPD cannot maintain that basic level of service.  These integrated units do important work, keeping our roads safe, investigating and disrupting organized crime groups, and monitoring and investigating national security threats.  We do not take the decision to redeploy these officers lightly, but we have to prioritize for our community.”

Of VicPD’s total strength of 249 officers, 39 are currently unable to work in a call-response capacity for a variety of reasons, including physical and psychological injuries.  An additional 17 officers are non-deployable as they undertake various stages of recruit training.

Staffing shortfalls have created major challenges in ensuring adequate deployment of frontline resources to respond to calls from our community.  Recent measures to address frontline resource shortfalls include the 2018 reassignment of six officers – including our three school liaison officers, an intelligence officer, our reserve program officer and a beat officer – to our Patrol Division, and the 2019 disbandment of VicPD’s Crime Reduction Unit (CRU).

VicPD is always evaluating how to strengthen our response to community needs.  Therefore, future organizational changes may occur in an effort to address the demands on available resources.  A review of these seven transfers will take place over the next year to assess if staffing resources allow for these assignments to be restored.

#1719 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 October 2021 - 08:37 AM

Good.  It always puzzled me when IRSU members stood around peering through their spotting scopes when something else pressing was going on.

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1720 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 06 October 2021 - 11:27 AM

Are police liaisons back now?

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Blair M.