Photo

[Langford] Kettle Creek Station | U/C

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#61 stormy

stormy
  • 361 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:20 AM

Seems weird that so many convenants can be put on a private property. Who would enforce it? Once the project is built out and all sold, would it require one property owner to sue another property owner? Can't imagine the police would do anything and I would hope that the city inspectors would have better things to do... But would it be their jurisdiction anyways?

It just doesn't make sense. I can understand property covenants such as that on the Hudson Condos that maintains the ability of owners to rent out their suites in perpituity as that is a benefit to the city as a whole and the city required it as part of the development permit.

The fact that an owner has hung a clothes line hardly impacts the greater community.

I asked Kettle Creek Sales that question, here is what she sent me;

“A Building Scheme can be considered a form of local law that applies to owners of the properties enumerated in the Building Scheme. Each affected owner is both burdened by the restrictions and entitled to enjoy the benefits of the scheme. The owners all have a community of interest which can be enforced by any member of the community or by the declarant of the Building Scheme (subject to the opinion of the court as to enforceability of specific provisions). Because the Building Scheme is registered against the title to all of the affected lands, and the covenants run with the lands, all purchasers are on notice as to the restrictions and cannot complain after they complete their purchase that they do not agree with the provisions.”

“Initially, a Building Scheme is enforced by the developer/owner or its nominee who has the authority under the Building Scheme to withhold approval of the construction of any improvements, the installation of landscaping, and other features unless the proposed plans and specifications for the improvements or other features comply with the restrictions set out in the Building Scheme. The authority to approve plans beyond the initial stage of development is sometimes transferred, by provisions in the Building Scheme, to a committee consisting of owners. This is particularly useful when the developer no longer has any involvement with the development, or in circumstances where the original development company ceases to exist.”

“The most usual remedy is injunctive relief, requiring an owner to remove the offending structure or thing (such as an RV, a high fence or a satellite dish), or to stop the offending activity.”

#62 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:19 PM

In actual practice once the developer has "left the station" there is very little you can do to enforce local building scheme restrictions.

After the people have paid their money, got all their deposits back, they pretty much do whatever they want.

If there is a covenant registered with the city on the building scheme and somebody is in violation, all you can do is complain to the city. It takes two residents who are directly beside or across the street from the offender to make the complaint and you have to state how, whatever the offence is, is impacting negatively on your life.

Then they decide whether anything will be done. Usually not.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#63 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 436 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:22 PM

After the people have paid their money, got all their deposits back, they pretty much do whatever they want.

Here come the clotheslines and derelict cars.

#64 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:45 PM

Here come the clotheslines and derelict cars.

And they can't even build a garage for the derelict cars, so when the car does get driven once a month you can stare at the oil stains all over the driveway...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#65 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:24 PM

Hmm.. I've had an idea.

You can't enclose your car port and turn it into a garage because that would only leave 1 "surface" parking spot, and Langford requires two.

I wonder... does langford require grass in front of your house? Why not pave the front lawn to fulfill the "2 surface parking spots" rule?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#66 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 436 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:47 AM

Hmm.. I've had an idea.

You can't enclose your car port and turn it into a garage because that would only leave 1 "surface" parking spot, and Langford requires two.

I wonder... does langford require grass in front of your house? Why not pave the front lawn to fulfill the "2 surface parking spots" rule?

Grass and or greenery doesn't seem to be a huge priority with Langford at this time.

#67 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:11 PM

Hmm.. I've had an idea.

It's done in north Surrey all the time.

#68 stormy

stormy
  • 361 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:34 AM

Shell and Timmy's going up at Kettle Creek. I have been here since the middle of September, really liking it.

#69 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

This area was originally called Langford Meadows. In the 1930s Chinese Labourers were paid to hand dig a ditch to Drain Langford lake out of its north end. Langford Lake drain through a ditch under the TCH and in behind Ice cream Mountain where it dumps into Goldstream River.

Langford Lake Originally drained on its western side into Hulls Field where it crossed Jacklin Rd and continued into Colwood Creek.
Langford filled in Hulls Field with rock and squeezed every ounce of water out of it and into a pipe.
That pipe goes under Canwest ( Westshore) mall and eventually hooks up with Colwood Creek which drains into Esquimalt Lagoon Via Royal Roads. When Veterans Memorial Road was extended to Sooke Rd teh Colwood Creek bog was drained and all of it replaced with rock and teh road built on top.
I will post photos soon of the area.

Back to Langford Lakes north shore. This land had a fertile layer of soil over glacial till and was productive for some who attempted to farm it.
The area like others in Langford have been completely stripped bare of all vegetation right down to bed rock and then ugly houses are built some quite cheaply. Kettle Creek is an example of a lego-land style neighborhood soon to be surrounded by more roads and warehouse style commercial areas.
There is an interchange planned for the TCH right out front of Kettle Creek.

Now the name Kettle Creek where does it come from. well there is no creek there other than the ditch that drains Langford Lake.There IS however a small pond that collects all of the oily runoff from the roads. This pond is what is known as a Kettle a small depression caused when a large chuck of glacier was left to melt in place . The weight of it formed a kettle. Langford was kind enough to let the developers leave a hint of Vegetation around this small Kettle.

These comments are my own personal opinion and shall not be taken personally or seriously by anyone living in or around the area.

Now onto the Photos.

Before and After

#70 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,501 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:20 PM

Paved paradise put up a parking lot...

#71 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:11 PM

Baaaa!

#72 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:37 PM

Trees dont grow well in a gravel pit anyway.
Oh and after having a closer look...neither does grass The "affordable" price of these prefabs does not seem to include quality topsoil.

#73 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:57 PM

Looking at that they almost should have made them row/townhouses. Or mid-rise condos.

#74 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:53 AM

:o

#75 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,501 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:09 AM

I see $150,000 profit per house...

#76 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:40 PM

I see a lot of people happily living in affordable single family homes.

#77 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:03 AM

Let's consider it this way: Currently, humans live completely out of harmony with their natural environment. There are some who take advantage of this situation (for their ultimate downfall), and there are others who simply go along with it knowing that someday it will end and things will be better. :D ;) ;) !

#78 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:01 PM

When I was contemplating KCS, I was asking if the car port could be enclosed. The response I got was "no, Langford requires two non-enclosed parking spaces per house".

Now KCS is not a strata. Are there different regulations for stratas that allow them to have only one non-enclosed parking space?

I was looking here and most of these houses have only one spot: http://maps.google.c...2,80.97,,0,1.04

#79 stormy

stormy
  • 361 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:04 AM

Hi Sebberry,

Kettle Creek has two new designs and one of them includes an enclosed garage. You can see the design on their website.

#80 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

Hi Stormy, I see that there, thanks! If it wasn't out of my price range it'd be a nice little home. I've been fantasizing about a 3bed/2ba rancher with a double garage in Nanaimo for a while... (yes, that's how bad it's getting).

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users