720 replies to this topic

#541 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:06 PM

:banana:

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#542 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 05:18 PM

The beer machine needs to be restocked.

#543 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:50 AM

I've made this point before, but look at the stuff that gets beautifully preserved and restored in Vancouver. Victorians would knock a small & not-so-old building like that down without a second thought. You'd get laughed at even for suggesting that it had any value.

https://www.facebook...nWestVancouver/

#544 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:39 PM

Sometimes I wonder if I appreciate just how seriously Victoria was flirting with disaster.

It's the little building on the left of this pic beside the old post office, right?

(also check it out in this old tourist film at around 1:46, which shows what that side of the street used to look like before the Harbour Square mall complex was built):

Edited by aastra, 21 December 2020 - 01:18 PM.

• newbie_01 likes this

#545 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 05:53 PM

Yikes. Yeah I think we got pretty close to being a giant British Leavonworth Washington.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#546 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:26 PM

Just thought it was interesting to see a news story about this building:

Daily Colonist
February 2, 1979

Salvation Army opens fund drive for centre

The Salvation Army Thursday kicked off its $500,000 fund-raising campaign for the construction of a new $3 million building at Johnson and Wharf.

At present, the programs are operated out of two separate buildings, both of them old and cramped.

The new facilities will have 121 beds, 61 for the Harbor Lights Centre and 60 for the Social Services Centre. A chapel will accommodate 150 people.

...the new building will enable them to expand their programs, particularly the alcoholic treatment centre.

There was a great need for the treatment of alcoholics, but the present quarters simply didn't permit expansion.

Daily_Colonist-Feb_2_1979-Salvation_Army.jpg

Pic of the former digs:

M08594_141.jpg

pic from https://archives.vic...rmy-mens-hostel

Edited by aastra, 11 January 2021 - 09:01 AM.

#547 Freedom57

Freedom57
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:15 AM

Does anyone know if you are allowed to have a Heritage Designated home (city of Victoria) picked up and moved?  It's not being altered or destroyed.....  just moved - possibly to Esquimalt or Saanich.  ie, with Nickel Bros.

#548 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:45 AM

Does anyone know if you are allowed to have a Heritage Designated home (city of Victoria) picked up and moved?  It's not being altered or destroyed.....  just moved - possibly to Esquimalt or Saanich.  ie, with Nickel Bros.

I assume you would still need a heritage alteration permit, as the physical location and siting of the building sometimes plays in to the heritage designation. Best to check with the heritage planner at the City.

#549 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:31 AM

^I believe it was a concern brought up when the plan was to relocate the houses on the Mount St. Angela property on Burdett way back in 2007. The houses were site-specific.

#550 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:53 AM

Rezoning application in for 1442 Elford Street to allow the existing heritage home to be restored and renovated to accommodate five strata units (4 1BR and 1 2BR). The applicant also seeks heritage designation for the property (it is in the inventory but is not currently "designated").

Dev tracker: https://tender.victo...Number=REZ00703

Existing:

Capture2.PNG

Proposed:

Capture.PNG

• aastra, Hotel Mike and Brantastic like this

#551 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:23 AM

https://nationalpost...ut-to-be-ruined

Not Victoria, but you don't need to be Pam Madoff to tell that this hideous proposal is an insult to the stately and handsome Chateau Laurier

Attached Images

• Capture.JPG

#552 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:34 AM

^ This one has been going on for a number of years. They were told not to make it too modern, but also not to make it faux heritage. It was to complement the existing hotel but not mimic or distract from it. 

#553 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:36 AM

That looks like a Microsoft Paint copy and past. It's hideous.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#554 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:36 AM

I think subtle, tasteful complementary heritage style would have been far more appropriate considering the location.

#555 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:37 AM

Victorians know this game all too well. New construction must defer to old, but if you go overboard with the deference then the new construction ends up being crappy, which ultimately tarnishes the old stuff, anyway (thus producing the very same unfortunate result that you were ostensibly trying to avoid).

New wings should be their own thing. They should stand on their own, be individual, be impressive, flaunt high-quality materials, etc. As I like to say, imagine if the old wing falls down after a fire or earthquake or whatever, and all you're left with is the new wing. Would anybody care about the new wing? Thank goodness the new wing survived? If not, then your design needs work.

#556 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:50 AM

I really like the atrium on the old museum building in Ottawa. Maybe folks in Ottawa are similar to folks in Victoria? They don't want to learn from their own successes?

#557 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:53 AM

There are plenty of good and tasteful examples of new construction in a heritage style particularly in Europe that fit in well and don't look like Disneyland. Being that this is basically our National mall I think deference would be most appropriate

#558 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 02:04 PM

^^^Chateau Laurier is trending on Twitter right now. Seems the expansion plan is not terribly popular.

#559 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 04:41 PM

Looks like a nice renovation is coming to the building that houses the soon-to-be-closed Fields Shoes on Government Street (and adjacent properties):

https://www.timescol...feet-1.23884411

#560 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:16 PM

GMC Projects has struck a three-building deal for the Adelphi and its neighbours at 574-576 Yates St. and 1306 Government St.

Me confused. The Adelphi building was across Yates on the corner where the big federal building is now. Was the Field's Shoes building also called Adelphi?

Adelphi Building:

d-09654_141.jpg

pic from BC Archives

Anyway, a half-decent restoration of the Field's Shoes building would be great. Victorians claim to be sensitive to heritage but they've also never seemed to care one bit about covered-over windows on so many old buildings.

M01387_141.jpg

pic from City of Victoria Archives...

Edited by aastra, 13 July 2019 - 06:20 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users