Photo

Moon Under Water Brewery and Distillery, pub and tasting room | 350 Bay Street

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#61 EskimoDave

EskimoDave
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:05 PM

Having been inside the brewpub, the seating area is fairly small. It shouldn't be difficult to keep track of customers.

My writing partner interviewed them and made in it to an article in the current issue of Monday Mag. Here is a link - http://mondaymag.com.../over-the-moon/

#62 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:08 PM

October opening at best right now, the proprietors say.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#63 EskimoDave

EskimoDave
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:12 PM

October opening at best right now, the proprietors say.

yes, Bonnie was saying the first was the date they were aiming for. If you do want to preview their beers they will be at GCBF this year.

#64 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:29 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Logan's* do fairly well with semi-self serve and a cash machine in the corner? Though I'm a bit old for the music that goes on at night, I enjoy the ambience of the place (and mix of people) earlier on.

*-I endorse any place that features pugs (Logan's and Ferris')

#65 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:41 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Logan's* do fairly well with semi-self serve and a cash machine in the corner? Though I'm a bit old for the music that goes on at night, I enjoy the ambience of the place (and mix of people) earlier on.

*-I endorse any place that features pugs (Logan's and Ferris')

I can speak to that, I'm a Logan's regular.

Correct, Logan's does not take debit. But their lunch crowd (they are only open for lunch Sa/Su) is maybe 15 -20 people. And I've never seen more than 25-35 in there on a Friday late afternoon for beers. I don't think it's the same crowd as a brew-pub. It's not the most sophisticated crew. Logan's was famous for their $4.00 Ranier draft beer. They went through lots.

I mean, you could say that Murph's Pub does fine with no waiters, or Monty's and Red Fox or the Cambie do good with cash-only sales, but really, we are talking two different classes of place.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#66 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:47 AM

^ I don't know. You are saying that the louts at Logans manage w/o debit cards but sophisticated brewpub folks won't be able to figure it out? Your argument reminds me of small-minded business folks who say they have to have pull-in parking in front of their store because no one will patronize them if they don't have that "convenience". Yes, you'll lose some business, but you'll gain other business. Somehow Habit coffee charges $3.25 for an espresso you could get at the drive-in Starbucks for $1.78, and they are opening a second store.

I expect this brewpub will have challenges, but if they really have good food and great beer, people will make the trip and bring cash to get a unique experience.

#67 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:15 AM

^ I don't know. You are saying that the louts at Logans manage w/o debit cards but sophisticated brewpub folks won't be able to figure it out?

Hey, I'm one of those louts! I'm saying that when you walk into a brand new upscale pub, many customers will expect table service. Again, if not having table service was a stellar business model, I'd suspect we'd know more than the one pub in Cedar, or the Cambie, Monty's, Soprano's and Logan's here that do it now.

#68 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:23 AM

^ Well, for what its worth, I think Logan's is great, and even some of the regulars seem ok. I'm just saying that if they can manage, I expect this place will manage, and the bluehairs who need their napkins placed in their laps can get their party down at Swans or Spinnakers. Trying to compete with those guys probably isn't in this pub's best interest anyhow - being a little rough around the edges and welcoming to the local trades people might bring in more business than they lose.

#69 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:08 AM

^ Well, for what its worth, I think Logan's is great, and even some of the regulars seem ok. I'm just saying that if they can manage, I expect this place will manage, and the bluehairs who need their napkins placed in their laps can get their party down at Swans or Spinnakers. Trying to compete with those guys probably isn't in this pub's best interest anyhow - being a little rough around the edges and welcoming to the local trades people might bring in more business than they lose.

I think Logan's is great too, I go there a lot.

And catering to the rougher, local crowd is good too. But then you need to have $4.50 beers. I don't think you can open a brand new pub, with all the costs, and pour cheap beers. The only ones that do it now are older, not as upscale places, that don't have big mortgages or huge costs like their own on-site brewery.

#70 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:47 AM

I think Logan's is great too, I go there a lot.

And clearly you do not personally like the proposed pub. Fine, we get it.

Now can you please allow other people to express their opinion without repeating yours each time as if somehow your opinion negates theirs? :rolleyes:

#71 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:59 AM

^ It's just that my opinion is the best one, and I must have the last word. :) If it is any consolation to you all, I'm meeting the owners of the new pub for a tour later this week.

#72 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:28 PM

I'm meeting the owners of the new pub for a tour later this week.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions and what the owners have in mind in terms of beer, service and their target demographic.

BTW, I've always found VHF to be a very fair fella in terms of reasoned argument*. I don't see the putdowns?

*-Thanks for the Moon under Water gift cert, VHF :)

#73 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:36 PM

^ Yes, VHF's debate is always welcome, particularly in this instance as he has extensive experience.

#74 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:50 PM

^^ I could use a gift card...:)

#75 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:44 AM

OK, first up, to be clear, there are no gift cards. I left with only a business card from the owner.

So, even if they were to get permission to open today, they are at least a couple months from being done. It looks like all the brewing equipment is in place, but the main lounge area is just a shell. They were framing up the bar when I arrived.

I don't have all that much to report. My bus dropped me at the front door, and the return bus was immediately across the street. The bus came to a screeching stop on my return pickup, the driver reported that he "never picks anyone up at that stop" ie. he was surprised to see a fare waiting there.

The owner reports that City staff recommend approval, and so do the police. They had an open house for the Burnside/Gorge community association, and only two people came, both adjacent business owners that had parking concerns. The pub will have 20-something stalls, and all along the north side of Bay St. near there is 2-hour parking through the day.

They only plan to open 5 days a week, probably We-Su.

We didn't get to much talking about the food service or menu. A friend of a friend of mine worked up their food menu, but thinks it'll be changed before it's put in place.

#76 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:33 PM

Did you discuss the self-serve concept or the beers at all? How do they figure to make such an industrial setting attractive to punters?

#77 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:43 PM

Approved by unanimous decision of council. 6 speakers for, one against (Denis Oliver).

;)

#78 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:11 PM

With some helpful oratory from your good self. Cheers, mate :)

Good to see city council know their beers...the Mayor commenting on IPA's and Barley Wines is something you wouldn't see in many places. Also the nearby Driftwood Brewery's support was helpful. Two fireplaces for the
winter :)

#79 EskimoDave

EskimoDave
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:13 PM

I thought that was you. The hearing went really well.
http://beerontherock.com, a comprehensive Vancouver Island beer blog.

#80 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:20 PM

^^ My oratory was rambling, but I filled 8.5 minutes with my drivel, tops of the 7 speakers. Driftwood Brewery comments were great.

I liked what John L. said about 50% of Portland draft being local. That indeed is something we should strive for.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users