Photo

2010 Victoria Municipal By-election

• Please log in to reply
625 replies to this topic

#61 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:12 AM

Dean Murdoch (Saanich councilor) is a provincial employee.

As are Nils Jensen (Crown Prosecutor) and Pam Copley (Heritage Planner) on the OB council.

#62 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:35 PM

We have a declared candidate today. Marianne Alto. (?) I dunno, each time I heard her name in the CFAX interview I heard it differently. Anybody? She has a website that ends dot ca after her full name, but my searches come up blank.

http://mariannealto.ca/

WARNING! Annoying website with immediate sound...

Since 1997, Marianne has been a small business owner, the principal in Azimuth Research and Consulting, a firm specializing in outcome-based organizational change, consultation, strategic planning, and community advocacy.

She is a business-woman, but her business is wishy-washy social stuff. Somehow I suspect it just gets government contracts. So maybe here is our left-wing candidate. She names her kids in her bio not not her partner that she married in 2003.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#63 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:57 PM

^ I often wonder why I dislike unrequested sound on a website....perhaps it is because I have an awesome set of "Monsoons" connected to my computer that I sometimes do a little research on in the wee hours, while my family is sleeping.

It wakes everyone up without warning.....uncalled for.

Information is one thing......sound should be a choice.....like second hand smoke.

#64 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:02 PM

She is a business-woman, but her business is wishy-washy social stuff. Somehow I suspect it just gets government contracts.

I agree. Her company doesn't have a single reference to it on the Internet.

She ran in 2005 and came pretty close to knocking out Bea Holland for the last seat. But has anyone heard her name mentioned in the last five years?

The last thing this council needs is another party hack.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#65 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:45 PM

Good to see more candidates getting engaged early regardless of who they are. It's a sign of a good election IMHO and this one is gearing up to be fairly competitive. I don't know much about Marianne Alto except that I know her name well and I believe I've met her briefly on a couple occasions quite some time back. She certainly has a strong following from a certain demographic here and I think it's worth noting she has Lynn Hunter's endorsement (at least on FaceBook).

It pains me to see this election rapidly approaching and not be able to participate myself beyond voting. As many of you may or may not know I reluctantly left Victoria and the Environment Advisory Committee for a scholarship opportunity in Vancouver earlier this year. If I'd known there was going to be a by-election I definitely would have liked to engage in it somehow; although it's just one councillor, I feel it has the potential to be a 'swing-vote' hot seat for whoever gets in.

I've heard a lot of grumblings about who else will throw their hat in but I know at least one candidate who I am happy to see return and who hasn't been spoken of here or in the local media much. Rose Henry is in the process or registering this week I believe and has been organizing her campaign for weeks. She is not one to be overlooked...although some perceive her as a 'fringe' candidate she has consistently topped 3,000 votes with little to no financial backing and got only marginally less than Robert Randall in 2008. She also has some of the strongest neighbourhood-centric support in the poverty-stricken Burnside region and she could pick up the more 'radical' supporters left hanging with Chandler's departing (the rest, presumably going to Alto or some other likeminded candidate).

Anyhow, good to see the discussion has started already and I look forward to the results even if I can't campaign for anyone.

#66 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:44 PM

http://electbarryhobbis.org/?p=92

Barry Hobbis today:

Barry has worked hard all summer on the Marina issue encouraging and supporting City Council to rezone the proposed location, and recently has facilitated meetings with Pandora Green business owners, service providers and the City for action to regulate and help the campers.

We look forward to more meetings and conversations. In the mean time, Barry and the team are busy cleaning, painting and installing IT into the campaign office. The grand opening will be announced soon, so stay tuned.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#67 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:10 PM

At it's September 15th meeting, the Victoria Labour Council passed a motion setting up a process to endorse candidates in the upcoming Victoria council byelection.

If you will be running and wish to be endorsed by the VLC, send email to vlcbc@telus.net.

#68 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:12 PM

The thread title should be "2010 Municipal Elections" of course. If I knew how to change it I would, perhaps a moderator can and will be so kind as to do so.

#69 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:19 PM

I trust this time the process and the result will be more straightforward and transparent than it was before the last election.

#70 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:26 PM

Barry Hobbis to have a campaign office set up next week in the 900-blk Pandora. Interesting location indeed.

#71 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:43 PM

The thread title should be "2010 Municipal Elections" of course. If I knew how to change it I would, perhaps a moderator can and will be so kind as to do so.

OK, I know you will correct me somehow....but the next local government general election is November 2011.....and I had trouble finding another by-election in the province....so......I give.....why the name change from by-election?

#72 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:49 PM

OK, I know you will correct me somehow....but the next local government general election is November 2011.....and I had trouble finding another by-election in the province....so......I give.....why the name change from by-election?

Don't panic, I merged two threads so that posters post would have been the first in a new one. We are all in the right place now.

#73 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:35 AM

Well, a by-election is an election, isn't it?

I do apologize for putting my message about the VLC endorsement in the wrong thread. I should have looked for this thread first and it was the wrong forum as well.

#74 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:05 AM

^ No worries. It's all good. Your comment enticed me to see what else was going on in the province and the answer is not much.

One definition I found "A special election held between general elections to fill a vacancy."

So you are right it is an election.....it's just special. :)

#75 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:41 PM

So you are right it is an election.....it's just special. :)

Byelection is the general term for an election held to fill a position made vacant by the incumbent leaving before the normal end of their term. Historically I believe most byelections are provincial ones in B.C.

But if an elected official steps down (or is forced to resign) before the end of their term and it is deemed necessary to fill that position until the end of that regular term, a byelection is necessary. Whoever gets elected fills only the remaining part of the term. So whomever gets elected in November to Victoria council will only serve a one year term and will have to stand for reelection in 2011 if they then wish to continue in office.

#76 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:23 PM

For those who were wondering about Marriane Alto, she is on the local NDP executive. With her on council we would have an even tighter NDP cabal on council.
Pieta VanDyke

#77 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:28 AM

^and that's a good thing? :confused:
In chains by Keynes

#78 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:46 PM

So Barry Hobbis is in the "Wrong Plan" camp with Desjardins and the Esq. council.

Facebook.

#79 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:43 PM

^and that's a good thing? :confused:

God no!

When I saw that this was the direction that things were going during the last election campaign I purposely stopped campaigning. The LAST thing I wanted to do was to get elected and spend the next 3 years having to work with that group!
Pieta VanDyke

#80 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:47 PM

So Barry Hobbis is in the "Wrong Plan" camp with Desjardins and the Esq. council.

Facebook.

Interesting to see photos that Barry has posted on his Facebook page with a Victoria City Councillor and another prominent Victorian, who I would think would want to be impartial. Do these photos imply endorsement? Did he get permission from these people to have their photos on his FBsite?
Pieta VanDyke

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users