Derelict boats on The Gorge/Brentwood/Oak Bay/Cad Bay

• Please log in to reply
573 replies to this topic

#41 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,078 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:33 AM

So maybe my density bylaw would work ;-) To me bylaws are there to facilitate co-habitation. The needs of the Homeless need to balance with everyones needs. This is the structure of an ordered society. It wasn't a problem for years. It even added character to the area. Not the case anymore... It's like your basement dweller adding a friend who crashes on their couch, then another, then a few in the yard of the owners house, then they are all dumping the garbage in the parks and other peoples yards. Then, yes, they should be evicted....  

#42 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:43 PM

In my opinion, if the community cannot take care of itself and nearby residents who pay taxes through the nose are impacted by a careless few, then it's game over.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#43 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,676 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:29 AM

^^ I have a friend who has lived water front front row for the last ten years. It has been a problem for almost that entire time for her. Weird smells, boat wars, strange night time activities, excessive noise. Sorry it just was never made an issue due to Victoria's normal stance around these things. Of it involves regulating the homeless it can't be done because their right are more inherent then the tax payers.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 29 August 2014 - 06:24 AM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#44 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:32 AM

In my opinion, if the community cannot take care of itself and nearby residents who pay taxes through the nose are impacted by a careless few, then it's game over.

Sounds like you are describing the whole area near Our Place.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:26 AM

http://www.timescolo...gorge-1.1336118

Victoria council has taken another step toward removing derelict and liveaboard boats from the Gorge waterway near Banfield Park.

Following a public hearing last week in which several people on both sides of the issue spoke, Victoria councillors adopted a bylaw to rezone the waterway for recreational use only.

Liveaboards, float homes and overnight anchorage or moorage would not be permitted in the area.

The city still requires a licence of occupation over the waterway from the province before the bylaws can be enforced.

Where else can these boats park, legally?  Anything to stop them from just moving a few hundred yards up the Gorge?

8ikk.png

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#46 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,676 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:12 AM

No... The city of Victoria will just move the issue elsewhere.

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:47 AM

Now it appears we have at least one boat further up #1, attached to an anchor buoy, and a parking space for another, #2 is a red anchor buoy.

1w9.png

1w7.png

Now, it's great that the councillors have concerns about the environmental impact of these 12 boats, do they also have a concern about these other 20 parked at private docks pictured here?  Or the probably 75 other ones parked privately along part of the Gorge?

1w3.png

#48 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,171 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:57 AM

The ones at docks, are those liveaboards?

#49 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:00 AM

The ones at docks, are those liveaboards?

Not many, if any at all.  So those boats might not be regularly checked for fuel and oil leaks or to see if they are taking on water and at risk of sinking.  The live-aboard boats have a real person onboard most of the time to check for these hazards daily.

#50 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,171 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:04 AM

I thought the primary issue isn't so much derelict boats as it is the noise and garbage from those living on boats.

#51 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:08 AM

I thought the primary issue isn't so much derelict boats as it is the noise and garbage from those living on boats.

I suspect you will not find a quote from a politician saying that's the primary goal.

#52 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,171 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:21 AM

Sure but that's just politicking. Seems to me, the reason this is an issue now is due to people living on some of these. That's why the issue would just move elsewhere unless all areas were enforced.

#53 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,676 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:23 AM

It will move up the Gorge and become Saanich's issue.

#54 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:38 AM

Not many, if any at all. So those boats might not be regularly checked for fuel and oil leaks or to see if they are taking on water and at risk of sinking. The live-aboard boats have a real person onboard most of the time to check for these hazards daily.

I'd say they're maintained better than the live-aboard boats that come in all forms of working condition. Keep in mind you're seeing a satellite photo taken in the summer when boat owners leave their boats tied up at the dock and ready for use. Come winter most will be moved into sheds or "winterized" and secured.

I know some folks who rent their docks out for the summer. It's an easy $150/month per boat and after the season is over the boat owners store them on land off-site.

Actually a nice dock is a great money maker if you're fortunate enough to be able to afford a waterfront property. If you don't mind the boat owners scooting across your property now and then the money is certainly a unique mortgage helper.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#55 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:00 PM

Crazy how almost every home on Lotus has a dock.

#56 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:06 PM

^Well, wouldn't you?  Not much point to paying the 'waterfront premium' if you don't have ready access to the water...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#57 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:34 PM

Inspections, warnings about the new bylaw, what?   For the few minutes I was on the bridge they stopped at and/or boarded two different boats.

They just left this group of boaters:

15298355661_8e40bfe8a0_h.jpg

And headed to this group of boats:

15278446946_70e47f3a6f_h.jpg

They then proceeded to board:

15301501245_bbcab0b3b4_h.jpg

15301127422_428320033f_h.jpg

Edited by Gary H, 20 September 2014 - 01:36 PM.

#58 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:35 PM

I believe they did this on Thursday as well. I saw a police vessel heading towards "waterworld" with its lights on.

Know it all.

#59 KAS

KAS
  • 140 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:56 PM

There was some sort of police action going on in the Railyards Thurs pm. There were 3 police cars parked at the corner of Tyee and Bay, a motorcycle patrolling around' and the boat out. They were there from at least 5, until maybe 7? No idea what was going on.

#60 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:12 PM

Oh, right there was something going on. I saw cops walking around the empty portion of the development, not where residents currently live. There was quite a turn out.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)