Derelict boats on The Gorge/Brentwood/Oak Bay/Cad Bay

• Please log in to reply
576 replies to this topic

#61 mcmusty

mcmusty
  • 34 posts
  • LocationHarris Green

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:10 PM

Anybody know what's happening? I thought it was related to the derelict boats, but the police & paramedics were more interested in looking under the trestle. qr6EynL.jpg

#62 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 534 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:06 PM

I noticed a strong diesel fuel odour while walking on the Goose towards the Selkirk Trestle earlier today.  There was a large oil sheen (50+ metres wide) in the water located between the trestle and the old boats .  I phoned into the City of Victoria and the person taking the call said that the spill had been reported to the Coast Guard earlier.  Sad to see that sort of environmental damage and that no one seems to be taking actions to deal with the situation.

• David Bratzer likes this

#63 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:16 AM

There was some talk last year about the various levels of government trying to work this out. I have yet to see any changes or hear anything further though.

#64 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:21 AM

Victoria recently strengthened their rules to deal with the derelict boats in the Gorge issue.  Some of these boats moved to Saanich as a result.  Saanich council will be asked tonight to approve amending their bylaws to limit moorage/anchoring to a maximum of 72 hours.

I wonder if anyone will try and bunny hop back and forth between the two jurisdictions to skirt the rules?

#65 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:51 AM

I wonder if anyone will try and bunny hop back and forth between the two jurisdictions to skirt the rules?

I suspect most of those boats don't have an intact powertrain.  If they moved to Saanich, they probably got a tow there.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#66 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:27 AM

If they anchor at the right spot, they'll automatically move between the municipalities twice a day.
  • sebberry, Jill and nagel like this

#67 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:30 AM

If they anchor at the right spot, they'll automatically move between the municipalities twice a day.

That's right.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#68 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:05 PM

There is actually one spot adjacent to Arm Street Park where 3 municipalities connect. 

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#69 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:32 AM

There is actually one spot adjacent to Arm Street Park where 3 municipalities connect. 

And pay moorage fees in each one?

#70 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 03:29 PM

Fire destroyed three derelict boats anchored in Cowichan Bay Hallowe’en night.

It doesn’t appear that anyone was on board any of the boats.

No word on yet on what caused the vessels to burn.

http://www.cheknews....han-bay-120885/

My guess is that there was combustible materials on board.

#71 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 03:59 PM

My guess is that there was combustible materials on board.

Yes, that sounds plausible.

#72 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:42 PM

I happened to be driving by Oak Bay the other day when the thought crossed my mind that perhaps there are some boats anchored there that might be used as live-a-boards. Nobody seems to mind. Some boats are tied to private mooring buoys and some are anchored.

Oak bay boats resized.jpg

Then I had to wonder how people made there way too and from their boats. A little peek over the bank answered that question.

beach boats2 resized.jpg

Then I wondered if that was a cool thing to do...just lock your dinghy up on the beach like that. Then I read the sign... I guess nobody minds.

Beach sign resized.jpg

• Mike K. and D.L. like this

#73 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 06:53 AM

Victoria will take a “slow and steady” approach to clearing out derelicts and other boats moored in the Gorge waterway, says Mayor Lisa Helps.

“It will be a gradual enforcement, starting with signs,” Helps said.

“There’s a mix of people there. Some people are genuinely homeless other than their boats, and there are some people who are just choosing to stay there because they don’t want to pay moorage rates at any of the marinas, so there will be that conversation,” she said.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.3693PTwP.dpuf

A sign of things to come? 

#74 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:27 AM

Coun. Ben Isitt would like to see specific solutions for each individual living there, “whether it’s assisting them in finding alternate moorage or assisting them in finding them accommodation or housing within the city.”

“I certainly think discussion and negotiation is preferable to any kind of heavy-handed enforcement,” Isitt said.

He would like the city to reconsider its position to ban overnight moorage.

“I think it over-reaches, and I think the right to anchor is a right that’s incidental to the right of mariners to navigate waterways,” Isitt said.

While the area is probably not suitable for permanent anchoring, Isitt has proposed the city install tie-up buoys and allow a 48-hour maximum for boats. He said there is nothing in the bylaw that prohibits boats from dropping anchor during the day.

“I think having vessels and anchorage is part of living in a maritime community, and I think if the city were to install moorage buoys, allowing time-limited anchorage, that would address issues in terms of not disrupting the seabed.”

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.qdDRrH0b.dpuf

Why is just about every proposal Isitt comes up with, one that costs the taxpayers money, and serves no real benefit?   What do we get from free 48-hour tie-ups?  We have day moorage available for that all around the harbour, on a user-pay basis.

#75 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:52 AM

What "housing within the city" does Isitt have in mind? How does allowing 48-hour tie-ups address the issue of people who need/expect/want to live on their boats?

#76 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:57 AM

How does allowing 48-hour tie-ups address the issue of people who need/expect/want to live on their boats?

It doesn't, that's what's completely odd about the statement.  Private and Harbour Authority moorage is available for those.  Not free moorage buoys paid for by us.

• Jill and Daveyboy like this

#77 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:57 AM

I am thankful everyday that this man did NOT receive my vote, yet I am still a victim of his irrational - and costly - ideas.  :mad:

#78 Dr.Doinglittle

Dr.Doinglittle
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:06 AM

The thing I dislike about Ben is he always seems to try to do a run-a-round due process to get his way. We see it here after council makes the decision to clean up this area. We are seeing it with him and Jeremy still pushing for tent cities after the Topaz Park fiasco. This guy doesn't seem to respect majority decisions that don't go his way.

• Nparker and Jill like this

#79 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:44 AM

Glad to see they're doing something on this. Hopefully Ben doesn't ruin the forward progress the others are making. He seems to have a soundbite for every story, no matter how uninformed he might be on the topic. Clearly he is a favourite of the TC staff, or he is never doing any real work - perhaps a mix of both.

• Nparker likes this

#80 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 534 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 04:42 PM

So I am curious as to what it is that is motivating Isitt to make the decisions he does.  What would be his rationale to providing 48 hour moorage?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users