Derelict boats on The Gorge/Brentwood/Oak Bay/Cad Bay

• Please log in to reply
576 replies to this topic

#81 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 04:56 PM

Slippery slope. Once you put 48 hours on paper pretty soon he'll be pushing for a week. Then a month, then a season, then a year. Right now it's zero hours so anything on paper gives that first bit of ledge to hold on to.

Camping in parks went from zero, to 7AM provided there are no shelter beds, to just 7AM, to pushing for a tent city.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#82 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 530 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 05:44 PM

Okay that makes sense, but why is he pursuing this in the first place?   Does he see himself as a champion of the derelict boat crowd or is it because he wants attention?  That is the mystifying part as it makes very little sense.  Many hundreds of people are very upset about derelict boat operators fouling the Gorge/Upper harbour with fecal material thrown or flushed overboard so why does he take this stance?

#83 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 05:54 PM

Good question. I'm as confused by this as the next guy.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#84 Dr.Doinglittle

Dr.Doinglittle
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 06:03 PM

Ben sees himself as a champion for the downtrodden, blue collar worker, marginalized, etc. I have no problem with him pursuing causes that benefit these groups - we need people who do this in politics - but he does it no matter what the issue is or the facts around it. Which makes you wonder what his real motivations are.
  • Nparker likes this

#85 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 06:08 PM

Communism is his thing, isn't it?

Know it all.

#86 Dr.Doinglittle

Dr.Doinglittle
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 06:12 PM

I don't think he wants to force collectivization and make us work the Mason St farm but he did have the nickname Boleshevic Ben in university.
  • Nparker likes this

#87 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 06:17 PM

Right.

There's lots of money to be made in left wing politics.

Know it all.

#88 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 06:26 PM

Got to love our politics here. Speak softly and politely, and carry a soft stick. Something akin to a pool noodle.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#89 LJ

LJ
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 06:41 PM

Daveyboy, on 18 Nov 2015 - 6:44 PM, said:

Okay that makes sense, but why is he pursuing this in the first place?   Does he see himself as a champion of the derelict boat crowd or is it because he wants attention?  That is the mystifying part as it makes very little sense.  Many hundreds of people are very upset about derelict boat operators fouling the Gorge/Upper harbour with fecal material thrown or flushed overboard so why does he take this stance?

Shhhhh. If Ben reads this he will be wanting to provide floating washrooms for these poor folk.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#90 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:22 PM

It doesn't, that's what's completely odd about the statement.  Private and Harbour Authority moorage is available for those.  Not free moorage buoys paid for by us.

I wonder if there is a loophole in this situation.

If the moorage area is part of a PARK, then do the boat owners have the same rights as tenters in city parks?

#91 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 07:20 AM

A lake might be part of a park but in the case of Bamfield Park the water is federal.

Know it all.

#92 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 530 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:10 AM

We have spent decades trying to clean up the Gorge waterway to once again make it swimmable, identifying faulty septic systems, creating an annual Selkirk/Gorge cleanup, considering a ban on plastic bags, yet Isitt seems to champion the derelict boat group that goes against all of those initiatives.  He sounds like a confused young man...

• thundergun likes this

#93 Dr.Doinglittle

Dr.Doinglittle
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 11:06 AM

Grad school will do that to you..

On a related note, I was jogging across the trestle last Saturday and saw one of the boat people dumping his chamber pot into the water.

#94 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 11:13 AM

Grad school will do that to you..

On a related note, I was jogging across the trestle last Saturday and saw one of the boat people dumping his chamber pot into the water.

Look, I don't think there is any doubt whatsoever that there is dumping of most if not all human waste from these vessels.  Does it have a major affect on the waterway?  I doubt it.  But we need to get rid of the boats.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#95 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 11:34 AM

I have no opinion on what happens to the Derelict boats, but just want to point out as far as I know there is no regulation banning the discharge of sewage in the Victoria Gorge, unlike other areas in British Columbia and Canada. There is a holding tank pump out at Fisherman's Wharf.

If it's only 48 hours max it would probably be unlikely to be used by "derelict boat" owners, derelict boats don't like to be moved much, most BC park anchorages have a two week maximum policy. City could put down their own limited set of mooring buoys for tourists and charged a fee for them, make a deal with harbor patrol to ensure payment/regulations are followed. 

^Just thoughts.

#96 Dr.Doinglittle

Dr.Doinglittle
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 11:37 AM

Plenty of people swim in the Gorge, including off Banfield Park and near the Tillicum bridge. Plus the countless paddlers who use it daily. It may not be enough to make anyone sick but it's unacceptable practice for a public waterway.

• Nparker and Daveyboy like this

#97 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 11:45 AM

If it's only 48 hours max it would probably be unlikely to be used by "derelict boat" owners, derelict boats don't like to be moved much, most BC park anchorages have a two week maximum policy. City could put down their own limited set of mooring buoys for tourists and charged a fee for them, make a deal with harbor patrol to ensure payment/regulations are followed. 

^Just thoughts.

That would be OK if there was a need.  But the Harbour Authority and private docks have no shortage of room.  Let's not get the City into a new business.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#98 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:44 PM

I have no opinion on what happens to the Derelict boats, but just want to point out as far as I know there is no regulation banning the discharge of sewage in the Victoria Gorge, unlike other areas in British Columbia and Canada. There is a holding tank pump out at Fisherman's Wharf.

I doubt if very many of those boats have power so getting to Fisherman's Wharf isn't going to happen.

#99 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 05:23 PM

As someone that lives next to these blight... they need to go and not be allowed 24 hour anything.
  • Nparker, Jill, Daveyboy and 1 other like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#100 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:59 PM

I doubt if very many of those boats have power so getting to Fisherman's Wharf isn't going to happen.

Yup, Derelict Boats don't like to move.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users