Photo

Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
1936 replies to this topic

#741 JimV

JimV
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 07:00 AM

How the hell the NDP formed the government not once, but twice in the past 5 years is mind boggling.

Since he got smacked down on his absurd and expensive pipeline opposition in his first term John Horgan seemed to return to a kind of middle of the road style.  After his recent treatment, though, he has gone really dopey.  The museum fiasco is only the latest example.  I wonder if there was one of those body snatcher pods near his hospital bed.

• Nparker likes this

#742 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 07:00 AM

When I was younger the NDP was the champion for the working blue collar people like my dad. Now it has somehow become the party of the Woke. Screw them.

Edited by Barrrister, 04 June 2022 - 07:01 AM.

• Nparker and rjag like this

#743 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 07:02 AM

There was a radio clip of an NDP minister saying of course the Liberals are calling the museum a vanity project, and that they call everything a vanity project.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#744 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,594 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 07:07 AM

Jagmeet is a member of the WEF Global Young Leaders. That’s not an organization that’s full of, or mentored by, working class people…

#745 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 08:06 AM

New health centre opens in West Shore, caters to marginalized groups

Times-Colonist posted June 4 2022

--- Health centre is on Goldstream Avenue in Colwood; aims to provide care for 6,700 patients; it is not a walk-in clinic ----

....It is not a walk-in clinic, and patients disproportionately affected by unstable housing, substance-use, mental-health and social-services issues will be priorities. Patients who believe they are in a priority group need to register through the province’s new central registry, Health Connect Registry.

...The West Shore became home in November 2018 to the Island’s first urgent and primary care centre, designed to alleviate pressure on hospital ERs and provide a team-based care model. The UPCCs opened to much fanfare, but have more recently been criticized for long wait times and understaffing.

Edited by JohnN, 04 June 2022 - 08:10 AM.

:)

#746 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 08:25 AM

So if you are a druggie you get priority while regular working families drop down the list. The government no longer seems to care about the ordinary working guy and his family.

My wife read on a Facebook mom’s group that there’s a sexual health clinic in town that gives priority access to a doctor if you identify as trans/non binary/queer or whatever. For any health issue.

I haven’t fact checked this. Might become temporarily female to get my annual checkup. (“Turn and cough, ma’am”)

Edit: this might be true. Website says this on the home
Page.
https://www.islandsexualhealth.org/

Providing sexual health care for all people and additional primary care delivery for priority populations.

Edited by max.bravo, 04 June 2022 - 08:31 AM.

#747 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 08:48 AM

New health centre opens in West Shore, caters to marginalized groups

Times-Colonist posted June 4 2022

--- Health centre is on Goldstream Avenue in Colwood; aims to provide care for 6,700 patients; it is not a walk-in clinic ----

....It is not a walk-in clinic, and patients disproportionately affected by unstable housing, substance-use, mental-health and social-services issues and those affiliated with the NDP and their friends will be priorities. Patients who believe they are in a priority group need to register through the province’s new central registry, Health Connect Registry.

...The West Shore became home in November 2018 to the Island’s first urgent and primary care centre, designed to alleviate pressure on hospital ERs and provide a team-based care model. The UPCCs opened to much fanfare, but have more recently been criticized for long wait times and understaffing.

Signed up, nowhere does it allow me to claim that I am in an equity seeking group however. Perhaps they can already make that determination from data they have stored and linked to my care card number.

Anyone working in healthcare will tell you that those living in unstable housing and with mental health and social service issues have the lowest compliance rates with medical direction and thus the poorest outcomes even when they are provided ready access and free services. The NDP then feels that diverting healthcare funding to where it will have the least amount of success and away from the best outcomes makes sense.

Edited by spanky123, 04 June 2022 - 08:55 AM.

#748 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 08:52 AM

If you check out page 5 of Victoria's equity czar presentation you will note that we have moved past equality and equity to 'justice'. In the case of health care, it appears that justice means denying services to those groups that Horgan and his buddies feel are privileged as it is not good enough anymore to just making access available to everyone.

https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=80834

• Nparker likes this

#749 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,594 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 09:00 AM

That’s their definition of equity. It’s not bringing everyone up to the same level…it’s pushing everyone down to the same level. Everyone except the 1%.
  • Nparker likes this

#750 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 09:21 AM

That’s their definition of equity. It’s not bringing everyone up to the same level…it’s pushing everyone down to the same level. Everyone except the 1%.

Well looking at the chart justice means that after you have brought everyone down to the same level, you must go further and deny access to the 99%

#751 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 09:33 AM

Vaughn Palmer: 'Urgent' so far from truth that NDP care centres a laughingstock

Vancouver Sun June 3 2022

Excerpt: 

Health Minister Adrian Dix has made much of primary care networks — medical practitioners linked by an administrative network to provide team-based care — and urgent and primary care centres — bricks and mortar facilities to supplement walk-in clinics and emergency wards within a given community.

Dix has repeatedly cited the combination as the future of primary care and as a substitute for the growing shortage of family doctors.

The credibility of those reforms took a major hit in mid-May when the Opposition obtained the Health Ministry’s figures on actual staffing within the primary care networks and the urgent and primary care centres.

• Nparker likes this

#752 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,594 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 09:47 AM

“ The Richmond primary care network, open for three years and funded for 32 full-time physicians, reported only one physician.”

So where has the funding gone? Why doesn’t the press ask this simple question? Was the funding Just available or was it issued in full. Important distinction here.
  • Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

#753 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 10:13 AM

Publicity stunt idea: anyone who needs to see a doctor should bring a lawnchair to John Horgan’s driveway. Turn it into a waiting room. I’ll bring the coffee table and magazines. Stay until Horgan gets you a doctor visit.

I’m sure the press would love to hear some of the ailments people are living with untreated.

I’m generally against protesting at politicians’ homes. But this doctor crisis is a massive failing, especially considering the swift treatment Horgan just received himself. He should personally feel the pressure to solve this crisis ASAP.

Edited by max.bravo, 04 June 2022 - 10:16 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#754 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 11:33 AM

The Woke have taken over the health care system. 

#755 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 11:59 AM

I wonder the wait time difference for gender reassignment surgery vs something like a hip replacement.

#756 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,594 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 02:32 PM

“ The Richmond primary care network, open for three years and funded for 32 full-time physicians, reported only one physician.”

So where has the funding gone? Why doesn’t the press ask this simple question? Was the funding Just available or was it issued in full. Important distinction here.

I’m super curious now because our system isn’t really truly public. Most of it is private, it’s just funded by the government. So Most of these clinics are probably private so does this mean they got the money or not? Where have all those nosy journalists gone to?
  • Nparker likes this

#757 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 02:41 PM

I’m super curious now because our system isn’t really truly public. Most of it is private, it’s just funded by the government. So Most of these clinics are probably private so does this mean they got the money or not? Where have all those nosy journalists gone to?

The UPCC's are run by the Province. The goal was to force the private clinics out of business and their GPs into the UPCCs. Didn't work out the way the NDP expected.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#758 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,863 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 02:53 PM

Didn't work out the way the NDP expected.

Fortunately, not much does.

#759 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,594 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 02:59 PM

The UPCC's are run by the Province. The goal was to force the private clinics out of business and their GPs into the UPCCs. Didn't work out the way the NDP expected.

Isn't that the magic of words. They are running the "network" not the facilities themselves. 

A PCN is a network of family practices (including traditional physician owned family practices,
community health centres, and health authority primary care clinics) in a defined geography linked with
each other and with other primary care services, delivered by the health authority and other
community-based organizations.
They will increase patient access and attachment to a regular primary
care physician or nurse practitioner through interdisciplinary team-based care.
PCNs will include networking of patient medical homes, urgent primary care services, and community
health centres

https://www.pcnbc.ca...s_July_2019.pdf

#760 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 05:02 PM

2017:  Alberta physicians remain nation's highest paid, average gross income of $380,384

2022:“It is what it is” — the quiet, progressive death of Alberta’s health-care system

Apparently, much of the problem in Alberta health-care system now is nurses leaving.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users