* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#4921 threePs

threePs
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 02:07 PM

Monarch Furnishings has had their last day at their Store St. location beside Iron Works this past Friday. Their new store on Hillside Ave., where the old racket sports store was will be open after the Thanksgiving weekend.

A cross-fit gym will be replacing the Store St. warehouse location.

• Mike K. likes this

#4922 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:56 AM

This isn’t exactly “retail”, but a 4000-sq ft animal hospital is replacing the former Newport Realty office at the NW corner of Fairfield and Moss.

#4923 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:09 AM

Oh, interesting. Do you know the name of the hospital, by chance?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4924 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:14 AM

I’m guessing that it could be Fairfield Pet Clinic, which is already located in a smaller space within he same building.
  • Mike K. likes this

#4925 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:15 AM

Oh, interesting. Do you know the name of the hospital, by chance?

I’m guessing that it could be Fairfield Pet Clinic, which is already located in a smaller space within he same building.

BP says it's for Fairfield Animal Hospital (which is a business in Kelowna), so I imagine that either Fairfield Pet Clinic is renaming or the BP description is just a description of the business and not the name. 

• Mike K. likes this

#4926 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:35 AM

I was told by the front end manager at Shoppers on Douglas that the move will be a year and the making and that the store will only use the first and second floors.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4927 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:37 AM

I was told by the front end manager at Shoppers on Douglas that the move will be a year and the making and that the store will only use the first and second floors.

Even with just two floors that's a huge space, so hopefully they get an expanded grocery section or even a Loblaw's City Market in there, too.

• Nparker likes this

#4928 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,747 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:49 AM

Hopefully the complete redevelopment of the existing SDM location on Douglas can happen soon after the move.

#4929 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:57 AM

Hopefully the complete redevelopment of the existing SDM location on Douglas can happen soon after the move.

Consolidate with the lot on the corner, build a tower

• Baro, grantpalin and Brantastic like this

#4930 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,747 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:58 AM

Consolidate with the lot on the corner, build a tower

I dare not dream that big.

#4931 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:21 PM

Yeah shoppers lot + the bank would be 1/4 of the whole block and a fantastic site to redevelop.  Dinky 2 story retail of no historical value, no displaced residents, its perfect.

• Nparker and grantpalin like this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#4932 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 01:15 PM

And yet it would unleash a fury from the legions who supported the new bridge, the Worldmark monstrosity on the harbour, and the 1980's-though-early-2000's blandness of the Songhees.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4933 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 October 2018 - 01:21 PM

Yeah shoppers lot + the bank would be 1/4 of the whole block and a fantastic site to redevelop.  Dinky 2 story retail of no historical value, no displaced residents, its perfect.

Both properties are also zoned OTD-1, so the developer may not have to rezone and could go straight to DP. May not work for a landmark project, as the zone allows for up to 43.0 m building height but only 3.0 FAR

#4934 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 01:49 PM

BP says it's for Fairfield Animal Hospital (which is a business in Kelowna), so I imagine that either Fairfield Pet Clinic is renaming or the BP description is just a description of the business and not the name. 

BP description uses the legal business name, not necessarily the operating name. I cannot confirm if the operating name is changing, but I can confirm it's the same people as Fairfield Pet Clinic. My firm is doing the tenant improvements.

• Jackerbie likes this

~ Jasmine ~

#4935 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 01:53 PM

I've wanted to see the little bank building gone since forever (to me it's one of the symbols of Victoria's post-1945 neuroses, when you compare what was there before to what replaced it) but I've recently changed my tune. Preserve and gussy up the bank facade and maybe even activate the roof area, and build new on both sides of it. Junior highrise facing Douglas, maybe five or six stories facing Yates.

• Nparker likes this

#4936 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:57 PM

So basement or bottom level would be stock room?
  • sdwright.vic likes this

#4937 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 07:01 AM

^Loading area, stockroom, employee changing/washrooms, staff break room, manager offices, shoplifter holding cells (several).

• sebberry and RFS like this

#4938 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 07:02 AM

Dr. Hettle at the Fairfield Pet Clinic is excellent. We don't have a pet right now, but we took our dogs to him for years. Great guy.

#4939 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 06 October 2018 - 12:01 PM

^Loading area, stockroom, employee changing/washrooms, staff break room, manager offices, shoplifter holding cells (several).

Methodone clinic? Don't they use that side door off Yates at their current location anymore? I was in there the other day and there was a very desperate shakey person being served up two doses of methodone right where you go drop off your prescription.

#4940 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:57 PM

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this link, but Omicron has cancelled plans to build the shopping centre in Sidney. https://www.cheknews...rt-land-501434/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users