* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8290 replies to this topic

#4941 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 08:49 PM

The tiny coffee shop on fort is closing (think it’s called level up) in December

#4942 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 04:55 AM

Oh no! Do we know why? I know the operator had said bicycle lane construction made for a very difficult period.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4943 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,079 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 05:09 AM

it was/is for sale for some time at $40k, then reduced to $30k.  you can see cached listings if you search 714 fort st.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 October 2018 - 05:11 AM.

#4944 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 October 2018 - 09:37 AM

Do you mean Street Level Espresso? The one owned by the council candidate Archibald? The coffee wasn't half bad but if you've ever been in there you can imagine that it's not exactly a money maker. A couple of chairs filled with nice (but lingering) skids and limited/no baked goods = minimal revenue opportunities.

But Mike, you raise a good point - it must have been the bike lanes. So evil in their intent and astounding in their ability to destroy businesses up and down Pandora and Fort :whyme:

• Coreyburger and N E Body like this

#4945 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 09:42 AM

Don't shoot the messenger. Archibald was very vocal about the disruption their construction caused for her business.

• zenbunny likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4946 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 09:47 AM

That was also the spot that took several months longer than the rest of the bike lanes - I recall the sidewalk being torn up there for ages. Possibly for some kind of sewer work under the street? For a business called Street Level Espresso, street level access was mighty difficult for a while.

Only been there a couple of times and not in years - coffee was decent, service was really bad.

#4947 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,079 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 09:49 AM

“We used to make $400 to $500 a day. Now we’re making $200, maybe $150, and on Saturdays we made $65, said Darlene Archibald, owner of Street Level Espresso and Teas.

A gaping hole remains in the sidewalk near the entrance to Archibald’s shop — a frustration for Archibald who said the city shouldn’t have done other infrastructure work while building bike lanes. “The bike lanes are not actually the problem.

The problem was the sidewalks and that they were all done at the same time ” she said.

“Although the council seems to think that’s a good idea, I don’t think it was the best idea because they took away our parking as well as the sidewalk as well as customers.”

https://www.timescol...path-1.23315131

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 October 2018 - 09:49 AM.

#4948 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 10:06 AM

They took away parking but they got a nice parkette that provides attractive seating they don't have to pay for.

It wasn't just fixing the sidewalk. They completely redid the underground area that connected the basements with the sidewalk trap doors. 

You could make the argument that the work should have been done separately but most infrastructure projects  like storm drains or repaving etc. you hear about the people complain "why didn't they do them at the same time?" so I really don't buy that.

• thundergun likes this

#4949 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 10:17 AM

The reality is that someone took a chance, invested their time and energy and started a small business. Kudos to them and everyone else like them. 

The unfortunate part is that the owner and likely a few staff will lose their jobs and unlike recent history, a pot shop won't arrive to fill the void.

#4950 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 02:48 PM

The McGavin’s Bread Basket Discount Store, selling baked goods at reduced prices, will be closing its Victoria location on November 13th.

The company has been closing its locations throughout the province over the last year and multiple locations will also close on the 13th.

McGavin’s is a chain operated by Dempster’s Bakery.

Know it all.

#4951 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 03:40 PM

I guess I can't miss it if I didn't know it existed?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4952 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 06:00 PM

bike lanes did effect businesses (they did a survey last year.) Some dramatically. You sound like you only care about bike lanes & less about merchants. Keep in mind they pay 1/2 the taxes for the entire city. You should be thanking them, supporting them - not dismissing them. They’re important.

BC shaver shop will also be closing if it is not sold in the next few months, I think the owner has had enough and is ready to let it go
  • zenbunny likes this

#4953 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 06:03 PM

I guess I can't miss it if I didn't know it existed?

It was actually really good. Great prices

#4954 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 07:21 PM

Oh right, the B.C. Shaver shop is closing, isn’t it?

Know it all.

#4955 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 07:35 PM

Oh right, the B.C. Shaver shop is closing, isn’t it?

Yeah it’s been for sale for a while ... it’s one of the last remaining general hobby shops on the island.
  • Mike K. likes this

#4956 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 06:12 PM

I noticed "leased" signs in the windows of the eastern-most portion of the Union development fronting on Pandora when I walked by today. Anyone have any info?

#4957 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:05 AM

Coming to Uptown

http://www.premiumlabel.ca/outlet/

Find clothing, footwear and accessories for men, women and kids - OUTLET PRICED at 20-70% off everyday!

Edited by sdwright.vic, 28 October 2018 - 09:08 AM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4958 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 03:24 PM

The Memory Express website homepage is highlighting that they are hiring for the upcoming Victoria store. No indication of when it is expected to open, I think the broad range was late fall.

#4959 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 03:09 PM

The Bombay furniture store at Hillside Mall is going out of business and liquidating its inventory now.

#4960 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 03:20 PM

What sort of contraption are they using to liquidate the furniture? Must be noisy.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

spanky123