Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#6681 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 06:14 AM

Meat of whatever animal is what your pet should be eating....

it depends what you are striving for.  natural evolution in most species just assures that as many organisms as possible make it to reproduction age.  they are expendable past that.  so whatever wild dogs ate 10,000 years ago might be good.  but if you are looking for longer life you might explore other options.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 February 2021 - 06:14 AM.

#6682 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 06:32 PM

Grocery workers at ­Save-On-Foods stores have ratified a new contract that brings “substantial” wage increases, lump-sum payments and improvements in ­working conditions, says the union ­representing them.

UFCW 1518 members at the Save-On-Foods chain across the province voted to ratify the new deal, which went into effect on Sunday.

The wage increases will put newly hired Save-On-Foods workers ahead of the province’s minimum wage, with starting rates beginning in June at $16.20 per hour, up by $1.50. Starters were previously making $14.70 per hour, just above minimum wage in B.C., which is currently $14.60 per hour, and is set to rise to $15.20 on June 1.

“Our members have told us that these wage increases are life-changing,” said UFCW 1518 president Kim Novak. “With this new contract, Save-On-Foods members are helping to set a new standard for the grocery industry in British Columbia with up to 15% wage increases for thousands of workers.” The increases are permanent, not temporary bonuses tied to the pandemic.

https://www.timescol...ases-1.24280018

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 February 2021 - 06:32 PM.

• Matt R. and Brantastic like this

#6683 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 09:21 PM

it depends what you are striving for.  natural evolution in most species just assures that as many organisms as possible make it to reproduction age.  they are expendable past that.  so whatever wild dogs ate 10,000 years ago might be good.  but if you are looking for longer life you might explore other options.

What are you suggesting? That rice and carrots make domesticated dogs live longer? Cats and dogs are carnivores. "Pet food" is a modern industrial invention.

#6684 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,040 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 10:46 PM

Grocery workers at ­Save-On-Foods stores have ratified a new contract that brings “substantial” wage increases, lump-sum payments and improvements in ­working conditions, says the union ­representing them.

UFCW 1518 members at the Save-On-Foods chain across the province voted to ratify the new deal, which went into effect on Sunday.

The wage increases will put newly hired Save-On-Foods workers ahead of the province’s minimum wage, with starting rates beginning in June at $16.20 per hour, up by $1.50. Starters were previously making $14.70 per hour, just above minimum wage in B.C., which is currently $14.60 per hour, and is set to rise to $15.20 on June 1.

“Our members have told us that these wage increases are life-changing,” said UFCW 1518 president Kim Novak. “With this new contract, Save-On-Foods members are helping to set a new standard for the grocery industry in British Columbia with up to 15% wage increases for thousands of workers.” The increases are permanent, not temporary bonuses tied to the pandemic.

https://www.timescol...ases-1.24280018

I’ve had need to be at the west side village mall more than a few times lately, and I must say I’ve really enjoyed shopping at save on foods there. I like my local, but it’s so much cheaper at save on. Used to be my neighborhood 13+ years ago and I recognize a lot of the staff still, so they must be doing something right.

I always assumed they made much more, gone are the days of the Safeway of the 1980’s I suppose.

Matt.

#6685 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 06:37 AM

That’s right. Lots of long-time staff at that Save-Ons. And are you saying it’s cheaper than on Salt Spring?
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6686 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 07:04 AM

I looked at their union contract. Top rate for a clerk is about $21.

indeed I used to date a girl that worked at Safeway in the 90’s. rate there then was about $28.
  • Matt R. likes this

#6687 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 01:58 PM

149543545_445443409927706_80965125468307

Loving the new neon sign.

• Mike K., aastra and Greg like this

#6688 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 02:03 PM

That is a very cool sign. Neon needs to make a comeback.

• sebberry, Greg, Love the rock and 1 other like this

#6689 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 02:15 PM

That’s super cool, B!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6690 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 02:40 PM

That is a very cool sign. Neon needs to make a comeback.

Absolutely agree. It's part of what I love about Chinatown.

• Nparker likes this

#6691 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,040 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 02:42 PM

That’s right. Lots of long-time staff at that Save-Ons. And are you saying it’s cheaper than on Salt Spring?

Oh way cheaper. Boxes of cereal are DOLLARS less. Forget about things like toiletries and detergents. It’s not even close. We’ve been shopping at the
Vic west one and the Sidney one more and more lately.

Matt.

#6692 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,040 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 02:44 PM

indeed I used to date a girl that worked at Safeway in the 90’s. rate there then was about $28.

Not bad, and probably decent benefits as well. Maybe a discount too? Country grocer here gives its staff a 20% off card, which is substantial if you ask me.

Today I ran into the clerk who rang up my order way back when I won “groceries for a year”. What a life saver that was at the time.

Matt.

#6693 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 02:45 PM

Ok yeah, that makes sense. I was thinking perhaps there’s another chain in Greater Vic that you were shopping at as Save Ons has been relatively pricier on some fronts than competitors. Grocery stores nowadays are like sports teams, it doesn’t matter which one you follow they’re all the same.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#6694 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 03:34 PM

Were you a boy in the 90s? 

#6695 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 03:43 PM

Were you a boy in the 90s? 

i feel like this is some type of a trick or trap question.   :rtfm:

she was female and i was male.  i'm not sure it's safe to elaborate further.   also:

He was a punk
She did ballet
What more can I say?
He wanted her
She'd never tell
Secretly she wanted him as well
But all of her friends
Stuck up their nose
They had a problem with his baggy clothes

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 February 2021 - 03:47 PM.

#6696 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 04:04 PM

i feel like this is some type of a trick or trap question.   :rtfm:

she was female and i was male.  i'm not sure it's safe to elaborate further.   also:

He was a punk
She did ballet
What more can I say?
He wanted her
She'd never tell
Secretly she wanted him as well
But all of her friends
Stuck up their nose
They had a problem with his baggy clothes

If your were an adult male when you where dating this person, I'm hoping she was a woman, not a girl. Girls are childriend.

#6697 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 04:09 PM

see.  i knew it was a trap.  good thing i smelled the human sweat beyond the peanut butter.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 February 2021 - 04:10 PM.

• aastra and Matt R. like this

#6698 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 04:11 PM

If your were an adult male when you where dating this person, I'm hoping she was a woman, not a girl. Girls are childriend.

what about 18yo female and 16yo male?  can they date?  what about 17 and 18.  or 17 and 19?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 February 2021 - 04:12 PM.

#6699 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 04:17 PM

yes. I was one. Guy was 15, I was 13. Much bigger difference if you are 40 and she is 13.

#6700 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,040 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 05:53 PM

Ok yeah, that makes sense. I was thinking perhaps there’s another chain in Greater Vic that you were shopping at as Save Ons has been relatively pricier on some fronts than competitors. Grocery stores nowadays are like sports teams, it doesn’t matter which one you follow they’re all the same.

Oh I agree, but save on in Sidney is near our cheese shop and the Vic west one is where my dentist is and both are super convenient and easy. My groceries today covered my ferry fare, pretty much

Matt.
  • Mike K. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)