* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#6721 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 02:39 PM

A surprising number of tradesmen in Victoria have a strong preference for cash.

Also beauticians etc. who run their own business. I always pay cash. 

#6722 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 03:19 PM

I suspect we'll see fewer and fewer physical bank locations in the future. Often when I've gone to the bank, the teller goes out of their way to tell me about ways I can do what I came in for online. 

#6723 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 03:34 PM

...Often when I've gone to the bank, the teller goes out of their way to tell me about ways I can do what I came in for online. 

Mandated career suicide. 

#6724 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 06:37 AM

Nope - unless you count the ATM in the lobby.

Why would I need to go into the actual branch?

I think that means you’ve been to the bank.

Vic West only has one bank branch, the TD. Now it’s closing, so that’s going to be an issue for some people (probably many people).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6725 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 06:43 AM

I think that means you’ve been to the bank.

Vic West only has one bank branch, the TD. Now it’s closing, so that’s going to be an issue for some people (probably many people).

let me guess.  seniors? 

most seniors i know keep their savings in more sophisticated vehicles than simple bank savings accounts.

like mattresses.  or the top drawer of the dresser.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 February 2021 - 06:44 AM.

#6726 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 06:44 AM

Maybe the expansion was just too much for this branch. They were in the smaller unit next door that became a Browns, and it had a drive through ATM that was popular.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6727 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 07:59 AM

i know this was reported previously here.

Meanwhile, the last commercial tenant in the Scott Building has announced it is moving to a new location.

Scott Elias of Luxe Home Interiors said the furniture retailer is moving to 564 Yates St. at the end of April.

“After 24 years in the historic Scott Building it is time to move on and make room for the exciting redevelopment of the building and property that will play a vital role in the transformation of the mid-town district,” said Elias.

Luxe will make its new home in a 160-year-old, 5,000-square-foot heritage building in the lower Yates shopping district between Government and Wharf streets.

He said only Luxe’s location is changing. Ownership, management and the staff remains the same.

https://www.timescol...eoff-1.24285591

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 February 2021 - 07:59 AM.

#6728 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 02:08 PM

This is an opportunity to purchase an updated heritage building in the heart of Downtown Victorias Old Town District. The building is comprised of 3 residential rental suites on the upper floor, retail space on the main floor and storage lockers and functional work space in the basement. A new 5 year lease has been signed with the anchor commercial tenant Cherry Bomb Toys which includes the main level, mezzanine and basement areas. The building has received seismic upgrades, and two of residential suites have been completely renovated with modern finishes throughout.

https://www.realtor....ctoria-downtown

$2,400,000

#6729 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 03:44 PM

https://www.victoria...PlU5-f0EXdYEnBM

New vintage clothing/furniture store called CREAM Life + Style opening in Fernwood Square in the space currently occupied by Luna Collective once it is done moving to the former Sorenson's Books on Fort Street.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#6730 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:40 PM

It looks like Yellowjacket Comics & Toys is moving from Johnson Street (presumably in anticipation of the Morgan Block development) to the building at the northwest corner of Douglas and Broughton. The business license is listed as a Broughton Street address, but the only vacant unit in the building I'm aware of faces onto Douglas (whereas the business license for Freshii on the corner has a Douglas Street address). The unit I'm thinking of has had a "leased" sign up for a little bit now.

It also looks like Big O Tires is in fact moving to Quadra and Pandora. I saw their big truck there again today and found a business license for Big O Tires at this location dated Dec 23 2020.

Edited by Brantastic, 24 February 2021 - 05:41 PM.

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#6731 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 06:30 PM

...It also looks like Big O Tires is in fact moving to Quadra and Pandora. I saw their big truck there again today and found a business license for Big O Tires at this location dated Dec 23 2020.

Maybe someone is looking at purchasing the Big O property and the former Mings's lot for redevelopment.

• Brantastic likes this

#6732 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 07:36 PM

That seems likely to me. I also wonder about the other Big O Tires property on Johnson Street. The tire shop, its adjacent parking lot and the little 920 Johnson building (with the First Aid store and Vic City Barbers), seem like an obvious choice for redevelopment.

#6733 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:36 PM

Agreed. The Johnson Street properties are definitely underdeveloped.

Capture.PNG

#6734 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:34 AM

Kid Sister is closing its Fan Tan Alley location. They say the landlord would not renew the lease.

Know it all.

#6735 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:37 AM

or they would not accept the lease terms offered. that’s the other way to look at it.

#6736 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:38 AM

Yes, it could be. They've operated for a decade.

Know it all.

#6737 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 02:18 PM

Yes, it could be. They've operated for a decade.

Lots of those spaces are being converted to live/work. More money for the landlord.

#6738 KAS

KAS
  • 140 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 25 February 2021 - 03:18 PM

Kid Sisters Instagram says that the owners were ready for new things, and the landlord would not renew the lease with a new owner. They feel certain Kid Sister will reappear somewhere else soon.
  • Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#6739 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 03:21 PM

Kid Sisters Instagram says that the owners were ready for new things, and the landlord would not renew the lease with a new owner. They feel certain Kid Sister will reappear somewhere else soon.

even i'd be sick of ice cream after 10 years.

https://www.instagra...g_web_copy_link

#6740 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 11:16 AM

Well established and Eco friendly drycleaners in Oak Bay. It's been in the business over 21 years and the owners are retiring. It's situated in a vibrant residential area in a strip mall. Plenty of parking in front. Training will be provided and easy to operated. Please don't approach the sellers. Contact Listing agent. Info package available.

$90,000

2575 Cadboro Bay Rd.

https://www.realtor....oak-bay-estevan

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 March 2021 - 11:16 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users