Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#7881 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 07:06 AM

What will happen when the adjacent parking disappears?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7882 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 08:32 AM

Fans of Victoria’s largest video rental store are throwing their support behind a petition to have the Greater Victoria Public Library and the University of Victoria take on the store’s ­collection when it closes in the fall.

More than 1,200 people have signed a petition urging the two public institutions to buy the collection of 25,000 titles from Pic-A-Flic Video.

https://www.timescol...-closes-7048086

#7883 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 09:54 AM

^ Think that Netflix already has the collection :-)

#7884 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 09:56 AM

I think they have many, many more titles and variety than Netflix, no?

#7885 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 02:22 PM

The library already has a huge collection of DVDs. I am not sure that his selection of rather highly used DVDs would add much. 

The library has gotten rid of an awful lot of DVDs the past couple of years. I like to rewatch things and when I look them up, already gone. Same with books, pretty poor collection, lots of classics no longer in the collection. 

#7886 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 27 May 2023 - 08:09 PM

Nordstrom Inc. says it is winding down its Canadian operations

Nordstrom Inc. says it is winding down its Canadian operations and closing all of its stores in the country.

The company said all of its 2,500 staff in Canada will lose their job.

Quick rip to the big, big city today to move my kid back home for the summer, spent the day downtown doing some tourist stuff (just lovely) and ended up at the Nordstrom at pacific Centre. There are loads and loads of dresses and other women’s clothes but not a lot else, it’s been really picked over. Everything is now half of what the markdown price was. A lot of items were essentially free, less than $10.

We picked up 24 folding chairs, brand new never used, $6 each. Also, a large four shelf Metro rack for $200, and a jug of quat ammonium for cleaning, same thing we buy from Sysco but $180 less haha. I would have bought the second Metro rack but there’s still a tonne of stuff on it, and the liquidator doesn’t want to deal with finding another shelf!

There was loads of stuff from the restaurant left, but nothing I wanted. It’s been picked over for sure. Lots of folks are going to get some smoking deals still.

Everything is going to go. They have tools from the maintenance dept, cash registers, huge Samsung “display” screens, all the furniture, art, mannequins etc, all for very low prices.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#7887 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 27 May 2023 - 08:31 PM

Double post.

Edited by Matt R., 27 May 2023 - 08:32 PM.

#7888 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 27 May 2023 - 09:06 PM

...Everything is going to go. They have tools from the maintenance dept, cash registers, huge Samsung “display” screens, all the furniture, art, mannequins etc, all for very low prices.

Finally, I'll be able to replace my mannequins. They were really starting to show their age.

• Matt R. likes this

#7889 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 27 May 2023 - 09:16 PM

I took some creepy photos. The store was actually really busy, if you need office supplies or tape or scissors etc it’s a goldmine.

There is an aluminum ejector seat marked down to $5000. One guy there said it’s historic from an Apollo mission? Who knows. Looked really old, that’s for sure.

Most of the large art installations were sold, many in the $5000+ range. Truly, everything must go!

#7890 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 06:21 AM

Are they like a bazaar selling anything they can get their hands on?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7891 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 08:44 AM

Yes literally everything has a price tag on it. Even the massive hanging light art installation by the escalators is for sale. Worker said it was $300k new asking $150k but you have to get it out yourself. She also said it never did work right.

#7892 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 12:14 AM

$129,000

Great location with affordable rent!! This alteration and Drop off Dry Cleaning service business go together very well. Work 5 days a week and take 2 days off or even take a trip while you still make money. The owners are retiring after running the business successfully for over 25 years. No skills? No worries. They will train you just like they were trained when they started. They didn't have skills or experience but had the desire to learn. You can do it too and make a good living. The Dry Cleaning Depot is getting busier and that pays for the rent. The selling price is 2 for 1. Please don't approach staff.

https://www.realtor....nich-cedar-hill

1551 Cedar Hill Cross Rd
Saanich, British Columbia V8P2P3

screenshot-www.google.com-2023.06.04-04_16_34.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 June 2023 - 12:17 AM.

#7893 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 06:13 PM

Indigo sees nearly half its board exit; founder Heather Reisman to retire this summer

https://www.theglobe...eisman-retires/

#7894 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 08 June 2023 - 09:35 PM

Quick rip to the big, big city today to move my kid back home for the summer, spent the day downtown doing some tourist stuff (just lovely) and ended up at the Nordstrom at pacific Centre. There are loads and loads of dresses and other women’s clothes but not a lot else, it’s been really picked over. Everything is now half of what the markdown price was. A lot of items were essentially free, less than $10.

We picked up 24 folding chairs, brand new never used, $6 each. Also, a large four shelf Metro rack for $200, and a jug of quat ammonium for cleaning, same thing we buy from Sysco but $180 less haha. I would have bought the second Metro rack but there’s still a tonne of stuff on it, and the liquidator doesn’t want to deal with finding another shelf!

There was loads of stuff from the restaurant left, but nothing I wanted. It’s been picked over for sure. Lots of folks are going to get some smoking deals still.

Everything is going to go. They have tools from the maintenance dept, cash registers, huge Samsung “display” screens, all the furniture, art, mannequins etc, all for very low prices.

Nordstrom tries to sell single shoes in last-ditch efforts of clearance sale

https://dailyhive.co...-clearance-sale

screenshot-dailyhive.com-2023.06.09-01_34_52.png

“Any single leg amputees need a single, new shoe? Nordstrom $5 SALE alert!” someone posted on Toronto Reddit along with a photo of few shelves that do indeed advertise single shoes for only $5 each.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 June 2023 - 09:36 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#7895 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 11 June 2023 - 07:00 AM

B is always excited about toys, but he’s also excited about the much-anticipated reopening of the store at 719 Yates St. – a big move after being at the store’s previous location, 1410 Broad St., for 14 years. B Woodward owns the shop alongside his wife Candice Woodward, who also shares a passion for toys.

When Cherry Bomb Toys first opened, it was located on 630 Courtney St. for five years before moving to the beloved Broad Street location. The owners say the community was sad to see the store move locations.

Not only was the toy store located on Broad Street, but the Woodward’s lived above the space. When the couple’s store was located on Broad Street, they went through four different landlords before the final ones decided to take over the space.

#7896 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 11 June 2023 - 07:00 AM

B is always excited about toys, but he’s also excited about the much-anticipated reopening of the store at 719 Yates St. – a big move after being at the store’s previous location, 1410 Broad St., for 14 years. B Woodward owns the shop alongside his wife Candice Woodward, who also shares a passion for toys.

When Cherry Bomb Toys first opened, it was located on 630 Courtney St. for five years before moving to the beloved Broad Street location. The owners say the community was sad to see the store move locations.

Not only was the toy store located on Broad Street, but the Woodward’s lived above the space. When the couple’s store was located on Broad Street, they went through four different landlords before the final ones decided to take over the space.

https://www.vicnews....nds-a-new-home/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 June 2023 - 07:01 AM.

#7897 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 08:38 AM

Instant Brands, maker of Instant Pot and Pyrex cookware, files for bankruptcy

In 2019, his company merged with Illinois-based Corelle Brands, the owner of Pyrex, CorningWare, SnapWare and Corelle. The company, which also includes brands like Chicago Cutlery and Visions, claims that 90 per cent of households in the U.S. have at least one of their products in them.

The combined company soon expanded the Instant brand name into new products beyond its eponymous cooking device, including air purifiers and coffee machines.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...uptcy-1.6874487

They should have gone for a subscription model. 90% of households paying $3/mo. for their pot to keep working wound be a goldmine.

Don’t pay and your frying pan turns off. Or your knife doesn’t cut.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 June 2023 - 08:43 AM.

#7898 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 09:49 AM

Corningware just made their products too good. I’ve got a bunch that has been in regular use for decades.

Everyone I know with an instant pot raves about them too, especially for smaller households.
  • Nparker likes this

#7899 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 10:17 AM

If you're tired of it just take it out of the hot oven and put it down on a damp countertop.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#7900 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 June 2023 - 01:35 PM

i think the instant pot craze has shifted over to the air fryer craze.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users