Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8292 replies to this topic

#1921 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:02 PM

There was an Apple store here for years on Douglas at Discovery then it moved to Douglas at Dupplin then it closed after a breakin where someone burrowed like a rat through the wall and stole everything last year

#1922 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:05 PM

I know the one you mean but it wasn't an Apple store but instead just a private licenced reseller. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1923 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:52 PM

Yeah there used to be a few of those. They seemed to all have closed. One on Quadra and the one on Yates are gone.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1924 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:39 AM

Yeah there used to be a few of those. They seemed to all have closed. One on Quadra and the one on Yates are gone.

? Restart computers, on Yates, was still in business last time I checked (yesterday). They are a licensed dealer and repair facility.

#1925 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:06 AM

Simply Computing has moved to Fort & Foul Bay (from Quadra & Hillside), and is still doing Apple sales and support.  Restart is still going.  There's also BYTE Computers and SOHO, both doing Apple sales and service.  There's no shortage of places to buy your Apple products in Victoria, and a lot of them are probably as good as an Apple store.  I know Simply has some very knowledgable staff (that's where I tend to go for my iPad/iPod/iPhone support).

#1926 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:28 AM

Yeah, but I can take a malfunctioning iPod into an Apple store and they'll take it into the back, diagnose it and reset it there on the spot, no charge, no questions asked, no obligation to purchase anything. I wouldn't dare expect another retail store to do that.

• LocalMom likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#1927 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

There's also a Mac reseller in Vic West in that two storey flat-iron building off Esquimalt road.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1928 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:15 AM

No kidding, 29 stores in Canada, including 6 in Metro Vancouver.  Halifax has one.

https://www.apple.com/ca/retail/

Halifax punches well above it's weight for many things, mostly because of it's significant size relative to the Atlantic region. They have a large amount of stores and also host many events, conferences and concerts. If Vancouver weren't right next door I'm sure we'd have an Apple store as well. It also doesn't hurt that Halifax is one regional municipality with a population >400K!

#1929 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

Halifax punches well above it's weight for many things, mostly because of it's significant size relative to the Atlantic region. They have a large amount of stores and also host many events, conferences and concerts. If Vancouver weren't right next door I'm sure we'd have an Apple store as well. It also doesn't hurt that Halifax is one regional municipality with a population >400K!

Halifax also has an average age of like 30 whereas Victoria's average age is 90! Big difference in demographic for Apple.

#1930 Southpaws

Southpaws
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

Thanks for the responses, everyone! Just wanted to be aware of our options (we are Apple fans).

#1931 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:07 PM

I have an apple Macbook and consider myself a fan but have never needed to go to an appple store for anything including the purchase of it and would never consider an apple store to be a selling feature of moving a town.

But thats just me.

I oredered mine online via apple store.

Put my order in for eveything I wanted in the computer and it was at my door 2 days later.

Better selection too.

Staples has a large selection of Apple Products in store on Tolmie too if you need the touchy feely experience

#1932 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

Came across a leasing ad for the Philip Nyren store space on Yates St. - http://victoria.en.c...4290402227.html

They moved some ~8 years ago from a spot on Government Street. I wonder if that decision ultimately proved to be negative for the business. Of course we don't yet know if Philp Nyren is moving, downsizing or closing.

Philip Nyren is reportedly closing after the Christmas season. Their property has sold to Alpha Project Developments (developers of Mondrian and Aria) who plan to build a 15-storey residential tower.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1933 gkz

gkz
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

Apple certified resellers do not repair iPhones (Apple's most popular product). I once had to make a trip to a Vancouver Apple Store because of issues I was having, which could not be resolved through the mail. It was an inconvenient hassle. 

#1934 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

Walked past the Philip Nyren store today. I question how the will make it till after Christmas as the store was more the 3/4 empty.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1935 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:21 PM

Oh really? So they might even wrap up well before then.

Know it all.

#1936 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:03 AM

Yeah, they are having a 3 day sale this weekend. 50% to more off everything. Starts today.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1937 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:12 AM

View St. near Quadra.

10514590_820202304666110_176048944881920

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1938 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:19 AM

Apple certified resellers do not repair iPhones (Apple's most popular product). I once had to make a trip to a Vancouver Apple Store because of issues I was having, which could not be resolved through the mail. It was an inconvenient hassle. 

Check usedvictoria and there are a dozen local folks who will fix your iphone for a few $$$.

#1939 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:12 AM

Check usedvictoria and there are a dozen local folks who will fix your iphone for a few $$$.

While voiding your warranty...

#1940 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:45 AM

Why are all these new iPhones breaking?

I thought they were the best?

"If you don't have an Apple, you don't have an Apple!"

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users