Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#1961 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:03 AM

They must have also had their fair share of complaints from the smoke wafting directly into the adjacent apartment building. I like that smell when i am camping but don't need my work clothes to smell like it.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1962 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:07 AM

Leaven Bakery on Cook Street has closed. I'll miss their wood oven rustic Italian bread. sigh. https://www.facebook.com/LeavenBakery

Despite a successful first year and a great customer following, due to rent increases over the year, it was no longer feasible to continue on.

That sounds a bit odd.  Landlord not want them?  Can you increase the rent in the middle of a lease period? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1963 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:31 AM

That sounds a bit odd.  Landlord not want them?  Can you increase the rent in the middle of a lease period? 

You can pretty much build whatever you want into a commercial contract.  Everyone is an adult at the table.  The landlord and tenant could specify that the staff must dress as chickens one day per year, if they want.

This was in the little mall, with Mac's?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1964 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:31 AM

It all depends on their lease.

It could be that operating costs spiked due to an unforeseen maintenance issue or they only had a one year lease signed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1965 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:28 AM

not many bakery models can handle a "mall" rent and it could have been that both parties decided to try it out with an understanding that the LL would want the rent to eventually get to where the other tenants were,
rent wise, and if the bakery couldn't do that then there might have been an out for the tenant. all speculation of course, anything as mentioned above could have been written in to the lease.
Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#1966 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:44 AM

I can't help but think that location in the corner of the mall wedged between a convenience store and restaurant must have been tough to attract customers to a new business. Also there was limited visibility from the busy street corner due to the trees and bushes surrounding the mall.

#1967 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:16 AM

Yeah it wasn't a very good location for a boutique kind of place.

#1968 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:20 AM

^But but Mount Royal Bagels is two blocks further from town beside an alley on North Park off Quadra. They have an even more obscure location with less foot traffic and they've been there for years if not decades.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#1969 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:30 AM

^But but Mount Royal Bagels is two blocks further from town beside an alley on North Park off Quadra. They have an even more obscure location with less foot traffic and they've been there for years if not decades.

I think wholesale is their big thing.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1970 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:45 AM

True, but there aren't that many bagel places while there are bakeries all over the place.

#1971 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:29 AM

Mount Royal Bakery sells almost exclusively to stores

#1972 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:00 PM

^OK, then they should have made a fantastic product like Portofino or Bon Bon's and gotten themselves into the stores and restaurants so they didn't have to rely on walk bys. Cobb's does pretty well in that tiny shop hidden away by the Yates St. London Drugs.

• jonny likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#1973 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:45 AM

VIATec's new head office, 'Fort Tectoria,' at 777 Fort St has begun renovations over the past month or so. They are still a ways away from being done (fall or late this year) but changes are beginning to the exterior.

I'm sure some on this forum will be happy to see that they are removing the previous setback and are framing this building to be flush with the brick exterior.

#1974 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:35 PM

Coles books closing in Bay Centre, last day is August 16

#1975 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:42 PM

So we knew something was happening with the Indigo stores in Victoria. We had wrongly assumed it was Chapters that was closing but it looks like it's Coles. Mystery solved.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1976 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:44 PM

From what I hear the Shoppers/Chapters move might still be in the works. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1977 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:10 PM

What move is that?

Know it all.

#1978 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:31 PM

^ Come on, there is some reason that the Shoppers (freshly bought by Loblaws) downtown is in tatters with no signs of maintenance, a move is afoot soon.  Loblaws has tons of money, they are not spending any on Shoppers here as it's moving to the Chapters space soon.

Or moving somewhere, they want a bigger space to expand the food section big time.

#1979 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:48 PM

Didn't Chapters just sign on to a long term lease?

I think it's too early to speculate that they'll be moving -- they may very well want to refurbish the existing space.

Know it all.

#1980 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:53 PM

Didn't Chapters just sign on to a long term lease?

I think it's too early to speculate that they'll be moving -- they may very well want to refurbish the existing space.

They say they did, but we don't think it's true.  We'll see.  Loblaws has enough money they'd at least patch up the embarrassing floor even if they planned a reno soon.  But the size does not jive with their longer-range planes.  They want bigger, to expand food.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users