Photo

Closed, defunct, old restaurants you knew and loved

• Please log in to reply
770 replies to this topic

#761 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 398 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 03:33 PM

I'm not sure if it was posted somewhere else on this site but I saw on Facebook a couple weeks a go that Bob Fisher (of Bob's Burgers fame) passed away at the ripe old age of 83. I don't know how well-known that burger joint was with folks from "town" but it was a legend here in the western communities. It was on the Colwood strip close to where the Burger King is now. I used to go there as a kid with my parents in the 60s. At first it was a just a little take-out shack but by the time I had my licence and took my dates there there it had grown to be a regular restaurant...typical American style diner like Arnolds from Happy Days. Some of the booths even had there own little juke boxes mounted on the wall above the tables.

#762 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 54,088 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 03:58 PM

Wow. Is there a business occupying the old space, or was the building bulldozed and replaced?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#763 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 2,956 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:10 PM

Wow. Is there a business occupying the old space, or was the building bulldozed and replaced?

Based on Rob's post, the original location was located where Burger King is now, 1681 Island Highway.

#764 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 54,088 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:14 PM

Oh crazy.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#765 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 11,782 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:45 PM

All Daily Colonist mentions of Bob's Burgers and the Island Highway address end abruptly in 1975.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#766 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 398 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:46 PM

I think Bob's was sold in the late 70s. It was an Indian restaurant for a couple of years after that (Taj Mahal). I think it was a little before its time...either that or Indian cuisine was just a little too exotic for the Colwood/Langford crowd. I never saw anyone in there. Then it became a place called J' Mai (or something like that). For the longest time I thought it was another Indian place and never tried it until I discovered it was actually a Chinese restaurant. They had outstanding food and it became our go-to for Chinese food for a couple of years. The building was in a pretty sad state of disrepair by this point and in the end they probably shut it down before it fell down. It sat boarded up for a few years before they finally dozed it. Right beside the Burger King (heading towards Victoria) is a used car lot. There is a little wooden building in the back corner that they use as a sales office. I think that may actually be a part of the original restaurant because I don't remember it being exactly where the Burger King building is. I remember it being further back from the road...right up against that big cliff face.

#767 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 54,088 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 05:10 PM

Nice.

And the house that was up on the cliff was something else, from what I’ve heard. Tucked away, it was quite private and included a big pool. It was sold about a decade back and now two condo buildings stand on the site.

Know it all.

#768 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 54,088 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 03:50 PM

Where Turmeric is now on the Goldstream strip, Columbo’s was there before. But what was there before Columbo’s? It was some kind of a general diner/eatery or family restaurant, no?

Know it all.

#769 Jaysomethin

Jaysomethin
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 04:37 PM

Tommy Tucker’s
  • Mike K. likes this

#770 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 10,487 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 04:52 PM

Tommy Tucker’s

how far back are we going?

screenshot-www.facebook.com-2020.02.15-19_50_38.png

#771 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 54,088 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 04:59 PM

Very good, thank you!

Know it all.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users