Photo

Closed, defunct, old restaurants you knew and loved

• Please log in to reply
854 replies to this topic

#761 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 03:33 PM

I'm not sure if it was posted somewhere else on this site but I saw on Facebook a couple weeks a go that Bob Fisher (of Bob's Burgers fame) passed away at the ripe old age of 83. I don't know how well-known that burger joint was with folks from "town" but it was a legend here in the western communities. It was on the Colwood strip close to where the Burger King is now. I used to go there as a kid with my parents in the 60s. At first it was a just a little take-out shack but by the time I had my licence and took my dates there there it had grown to be a regular restaurant...typical American style diner like Arnolds from Happy Days. Some of the booths even had there own little juke boxes mounted on the wall above the tables.

#762 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 03:58 PM

Wow. Is there a business occupying the old space, or was the building bulldozed and replaced?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#763 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:10 PM

Wow. Is there a business occupying the old space, or was the building bulldozed and replaced?

Based on Rob's post, the original location was located where Burger King is now, 1681 Island Highway.

#764 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:14 PM

Oh crazy.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#765 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:45 PM

All Daily Colonist mentions of Bob's Burgers and the Island Highway address end abruptly in 1975.

#766 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:46 PM

I think Bob's was sold in the late 70s. It was an Indian restaurant for a couple of years after that (Taj Mahal). I think it was a little before its time...either that or Indian cuisine was just a little too exotic for the Colwood/Langford crowd. I never saw anyone in there. Then it became a place called J' Mai (or something like that). For the longest time I thought it was another Indian place and never tried it until I discovered it was actually a Chinese restaurant. They had outstanding food and it became our go-to for Chinese food for a couple of years. The building was in a pretty sad state of disrepair by this point and in the end they probably shut it down before it fell down. It sat boarded up for a few years before they finally dozed it. Right beside the Burger King (heading towards Victoria) is a used car lot. There is a little wooden building in the back corner that they use as a sales office. I think that may actually be a part of the original restaurant because I don't remember it being exactly where the Burger King building is. I remember it being further back from the road...right up against that big cliff face.

#767 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 05:10 PM

Nice.

And the house that was up on the cliff was something else, from what I’ve heard. Tucked away, it was quite private and included a big pool. It was sold about a decade back and now two condo buildings stand on the site.

Know it all.

#768 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 03:50 PM

Where Turmeric is now on the Goldstream strip, Columbo’s was there before. But what was there before Columbo’s? It was some kind of a general diner/eatery or family restaurant, no?

Know it all.

#769 Jaysomethin

Jaysomethin
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 04:37 PM

Tommy Tucker’s
  • Mike K. likes this

#770 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 04:52 PM

Tommy Tucker’s

how far back are we going?

#771 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 04:59 PM

Very good, thank you!

Know it all.

#772 Old Esquimalt Guy

Old Esquimalt Guy
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 09:01 AM

I’ve read numerous mentioning of Bobs Burgers out in Colwood but no mention of the his second location on Esquimalt Road. Was located in the retail strip plaza in behind the old Pay Less gas station, across from the old Heliport. Rumour had it that it’s poor performance dragged the Colwood location down.

Grew up in Victoria but have not been back in years. Use to hang out late Friday or Sat nights at Lum’s Polynesian after closing down Ronny White’s good ol Bacchanalia.

Another place I liked was Le Petite Colombe (sp). Nice intimate French restaurant that eventually turned into a sushi restaurant on Broad St (??)

#773 Catrella

Catrella
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:26 PM

Help - can anyone remember the name of the great breakfast restaurant that was in The Counting House for a while - where the Medieval Inn used to be. And all the other restaurants that were there at one time. It's driving my brain crazy.

#774 zenbunny

zenbunny
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:51 AM

Help - can anyone remember the name of the great breakfast restaurant that was in The Counting House for a while - where the Medieval Inn used to be. And all the other restaurants that were there at one time. It's driving my brain crazy.

I only remember the one that was upstairs, Goodies.

• Catrella likes this

#775 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 03:19 PM

Perhaps I am imagining it, but wasn't A&W once located on Douglas Street downtown? I keep thinking it's where Burger King is today.

Edited by Nparker, 03 November 2020 - 03:20 PM.

#776 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 November 2020 - 08:48 PM

Perhaps I am imagining it, but wasn't A&W once located on Douglas Street downtown? I keep thinking it's where Burger King is today.

Are you sure it wasn't a Safeway
  • Nparker likes this

#777 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 09:17 PM

It was a Blenz Coffee. Don't recall an A&W.

#778 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 09:19 PM

This would have been before Blenz.

#779 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 09:43 PM

Catrella, are you sure you are not thinking about the Red Swing? It was located in the space now occupied by Pagliaccies a few doors north of the Counting House.

It was owned and operated by a nice lady that offered a fantastic breakfast for $1.49 or thereabouts.

#780 CoolCuke

CoolCuke
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 04:09 PM

Does anyone remember the lovely singer named something like Loa Dan, who sang at George's Bavarian Dining Lounge on Pandora?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users