Photo

Closed, defunct, old restaurants you knew and loved

• Please log in to reply
854 replies to this topic

#821 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 01:14 PM

Raisin pie, that brings back memories. Haven't seen that for a while. And never seen Welsh Rarebit on a menu before. My mother used to make that all the time. My eldest brother even called home from Alberta for the recipe.

#822 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 01:21 PM

...And never seen Welsh Rarebit on a menu before...

IIRC the James Bay Tearoom used to offer Welsh Rarebit.

#823 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 11:15 AM

Hop on the Coho get some cool drinks ..

Attached Images

• 793A4C9D-B31F-410F-9A9B-DCD621314A1E.jpeg
  • FC8633C1-04A7-45A1-8AEB-2568251E930F.jpeg
  • 44BF12EE-0E9C-41C2-96BA-42FB1599AB42.jpeg
  • 260F5003-77E1-40A5-A307-DDD06D91F91C.jpeg

• Nparker and todd like this

#824 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 11:22 AM

Real good time for $5.00

Attached Images

• EF92C8B2-921C-4B36-9056-69CB2DF80064.jpeg
  • 925A26C0-AABB-47E2-A6EF-527C4C24FCFA.jpeg
  • 7760E588-7027-4CE7-8F17-F6D68410684C.jpeg
  • 2F6E67F4-6C31-4873-A6FE-AFABD1373220.jpeg

• todd likes this

#825 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 11:26 AM

^Surprising decent beers. Must have been shortly before the Molson/Labatt near monopoly?

#826 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 11:28 AM

I was going to say, that's one heck of a beer selection.

What's the timeframe with that? 1960?

• Mr_E_Squirrel likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#827 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 11:30 AM

I mentioned earlier I once saw a case of 1952 Guinness here.

https://vibrantvicto...-29#entry324041

#828 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 04:10 PM

I was going to say, that's one heck of a beer selection.

What's the timeframe with that? 1960?

1967-68 for the Fox Pump Room apparently
  • Mike K. likes this

#829 hotdoglegz

hotdoglegz
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 10:32 AM

apologies if this is posted here already;

When and where was the French Connection restaurant

#830 nutsinmay

nutsinmay
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 05:28 PM

After a couple days of barrelling through what is currently at 42 pages, I hope to mention one or two that haven't been mentioned (um, I think?)...

Felicita's in the Uvic Student Union building. Centre of my universe as a student on Thursday nights back in the 80s.

Rebar in Bastion Square.

Sam's Deli on Government. I recall them posting a photo of Trudeau with his hands out wide, with the caption, underneath, saying "...and they make sandwiches THIS wide." Also floored by the most bewitching red-head server I've ever seen.

Concerning the aforementioned Little Jimmy's - was there a small convenience store on the north end of Nootka Court ran by the same gentleman? Definitely seemed to have this...bookie air, about him.

Mentioned only in brief passing, the Cultured Cow was one of my favourite spots, namely because of the Most Feared Hambuger On Earth - The Super Cow, which was gigantic. Fellow idiots and I would fast for maybe half a day, then head down there and just maow down on them. Funky, mustachio'ed proprietor ("couple glasses of moo, comin up.") who drove around in a Smart Car (I think) with the awesomest black and white cow motif paintjob.

Was there an Arby's located where the Tim Horton's (next to University Heights) is currently located?

Worked at Old Vic Fish'n Chips on Broad in '81 - a place to be avoided when Parrmi wanted to clean out the fryers with boiled vinegar. (extreme vomit emoji)

All I can offer about already-mentioned Garcia's is that it was owned by Bill Evans, a considerably overwieght person who is stil the only human being I've ever witnessed playing tennis while smoking.

At K-Mart, there was the Fiesta Grill. Strange how places that, at the time, you thought were maybe on the slightly bleak side, but in recollection, they're romanticized into long-gone vestiges of an irritrievable youth. Or something.

And then in the same complex, I recall there was another restaurant, with both outside and inside "mall" access, situated where the RBC currently is. And then the mall, itself - just a strip adjoining Kmart and Safeway, featuring the Radio Shack of My Youth.  :cool:

Yep, I remember that killer chooclate cake with rapserbery sauce, as well, at the Grand Central Cafe. (Every muscian wanted to honestly kill the ridiculously snarky sound man who worked there.)

Can't remember if the Nootka Court Meatmarket mentioned yet?

And about the aforementioned Harveys - wasn't there also a location near the Ukranian Hall on Douglas, immedidately neighbouring Swiss Chalet?

Yeah, that Topper Cafe menu slayed me.

But hey - head of lettuce! Only 25 cents! (funny - trying to look for the "cents" key.)

Some places like James Bay Tearoom and Blethering Place struck me as too frou-frou to patronize, while at the other end of the scale, places like the Medieval Inn, Longhorn Steakhouse, and maybe the Bacchanalia struck me as little on the possibly unhygenic side of things to bother with.

bon appetit!

#831 nutsinmay

nutsinmay
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 05:58 PM

Really? I can't post multiple quotes in the same post unless they're all taken from the same page?  

Oh well - I must forge on, gallantly... :)

Another hamburger joint was at the corner of Quadra and Union and was shaped like an igloo. The name escapes me. It was an aluminum roof and it was lifted off by a helicopter and I think it went to Saltspring and became a residence. 

Whoa - for reals, dude? The Brite Spot was helicoptered out to SS to become a residence? And, according to a following post, someone named Chris bought it? Say what? Any more sordid bon mots on this would be appreciated - the place always fascinated me, and it's possible I was too, um, chicken, to patronize it, possibly for the same reasons for the ole Longhorn.

#832 nutsinmay

nutsinmay
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 06:05 PM

I miss the 80's late night coffee spots, they used to be a good show on weekends from around 1-3 AM, like Coffee Mac's, Bino's, Scott's Diner, The Day & Night, sadly they are all gone.

Anyone remember that Chinese Buffet on the Gorge, in the basement of where The Loft Pub is now? It was "all you could eat" and started at 11:00 PM and went until 3:00 AM or later, sometimes it was a crazy place, they had a big projector screen and satellite TV and they played MTV loud...  Must have been 1983 when I was going there.. it was a gong show Saturday nights.. once someone overturned the entire buffet lol

Oh I remember that buffet, alright. Stumbling in there after the bars closed, maybe different idiots in tow this time. I remembered it being quite civil, given the clientele, but yeah, super piggish. Really really blankety-blank piggish. And wasn't there some Ingy-style terry-clothed big bar there as well, with free popcorn? Or am I thinking of the Sherwood?

Indeed, back when MTV was a cultural motherlode for those types of joints.

#833 nutsinmay

nutsinmay
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 06:08 PM

...Marion, Leif, Garret, MJ and Kate...

Thank-you for correct name sequence.

#834 nutsinmay

nutsinmay
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 06:09 PM

Jesus. How old are you? In my day tracking was done via remote.

And thank-you for the most quality chuckle today.

• Mike K. likes this

#835 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 02:12 PM

Welcome aboard, nuts!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#836 nutsinmay

nutsinmay
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 04:56 PM

Welcome aboard, nuts!

Thanks -  kinda bonkin my head that my big post had too many drinking establishmnets in it (for what's suposed to be a restaurant thread) but anyway I'm at a loss trying to find an apporpriate thread to inquire about the Bounty Hunters' clubhouse on Hillside, where there's now a big parking lot, near Douglas, and I'm pretty sure this isn't the thread to do it in.

#837 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,870 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 04:58 PM

Thanks -  kinda bonkin my head that my big post had too many drinking establishmnets in it (for what's suposed to be a restaurant thread) but anyway I'm at a loss trying to find an apporpriate thread to inquire about the Bounty Hunters' clubhouse on Hillside, where there's now a big parking lot, near Douglas, and I'm pretty sure this isn't the thread to do it in.

Old restaurants, pubs, nightclubs in Victoria

> > https://vibrantvicto...ictoria/page-17

Between the years 1956 and 1965 five Motor Inns’ were built on a six mile stretch of Douglas Street, from Discovery to Tolmie: The Colony Motor Inn (1956), The Ingraham Hotel (1960), The Imperial Inn (1961), The Tally-Ho (1961), and The Red Lion Motor Inn (1965).
This article will look at the history of these motor hotels and their drinking establishments.

The Bounty Hunter’s Motorcycle Club had their clubhouse on Hillside Avenue and the Colony was only blocks away.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 December 2021 - 05:03 PM.

#838 nutsinmay

nutsinmay
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 09:28 PM

Old restaurants, pubs, nightclubs in Victoria

> > https://vibrantvicto...ictoria/page-17

Between the years 1956 and 1965 five Motor Inns’ were built on a six mile stretch of Douglas Street, from Discovery to Tolmie: The Colony Motor Inn (1956), The Ingraham Hotel (1960), The Imperial Inn (1961), The Tally-Ho (1961), and The Red Lion Motor Inn (1965).
This article will look at the history of these motor hotels and their drinking establishments.

Ah, thanks - I'll go post it in the "Old restaurants, pubs, nightclubs in Vicotria" thread instead.

#839 nutsinmay

nutsinmay
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 09:31 PM

^ Heh, oops - looks lke my response ended up in the quote box.  :redface:

#840 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 December 2021 - 10:09 PM

Did something change with Felicita's? It's still there, but first on your list here.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users