Photo

[Johnson Street Bridge REPLACEMENT] General, technical, design and naming discussion

• Please log in to reply
7993 replies to this topic

#7601 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 06:16 PM

Mental Effort:

Normal.

Well I'm out.  :P 

• Mike K. and Rob Randall like this

#7602 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:58 PM

Grade 10...WTF is that?

How about "high school" which would certainly be more in line with how most employers would demarc various job categorizes, i.e. high school (or HS equivalent), college diploma or certificate, undergrad degree, graduate degree etc; how or why did someone arbitrarily decide Grade Ten was a minimum requirement for a job paying close to $50K annually, presumably with benefits and a pension etc? In that case why not Grade Nine, or Grade Eleven? Makes no sense to me.

#7603 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:33 PM

Grade 10...WTF is that?

How about "high school" which would certainly be more in line with how most employers would demarc various job categorizes, i.e. high school (or HS equivalent), college diploma or certificate, undergrad degree, graduate degree etc; how or why did someone arbitrarily decide Grade Ten was a minimum requirement for a job paying close to $50K annually, presumably with benefits and a pension etc? In that case why not Grade Nine, or Grade Eleven? Makes no sense to me.

If I had to guess I’d say it’s because the city wants to hire people from a specific ethnic group with statistically low high school graduation rates?

#7604 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:01 AM

I believe it’s to indicate a specific level of English and mathematical comprehension. Immigrants, even if highly educated, would often have to go to night school and take an equivalence course if applying for certain positions just to prove they could read and write at a grade 10 level. I know it sounds weird but it’s a fairly normal requirement.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7605 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:04 AM

sounds like a good job for a university student. temporary and just weekends and one weekday morning.

#7606 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:44 AM

I believe it’s to indicate a specific level of English and mathematical comprehension. Immigrants, even if highly educated, would often have to go to night school and take an equivalence course if applying for certain positions just to prove they could read and write at a grade 10 level. I know it sounds weird but it’s a fairly normal requirement.

Could be but most immigrants would go for a ged type certificate and not specificalky grade 10. A cynic would say that the person who they have already identified for the job completed grade 10 hence the requirement!

Either way, for the two times a day one would have to push the up/down button, one could take on a second full time job and just do it remotely from the operators booth!

Edited by spanky123, 04 January 2019 - 08:45 AM.

#7607 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:18 AM

I agree with Mike here, as someone who submits hundreds of applications every summer, grade 10 schooling is pretty common. If I were to guess it has to do with where the provincials used to be and how after that point students start splitting into different fields of math, science, etc so you can't guarantee everyone knows past the grade 10 level (aside from English)

#7608 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:23 AM

How about train the poet laureate? You know, kill two birds.

• Mike K., Bob Fugger and RFS like this

#7609 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:23 AM

How about train the poet laureate? You know, kill two birds.

Ha. Good idea. Save some money and put the poet to work

#7610 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:27 AM

maybe just advertise it at our place.

#7611 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:28 AM

I'm not saying I dislike the position of poet laureate. I'm more thinking it's a way to get some good material out of them. Like the Canadian War Artist program in WW2.

#7612 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:31 AM

Grade 10...WTF is that?

Likely some weird language in their CBA circa 1975...

#7613 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:47 AM

How about train the poet laureate...

Why not just make bridge operation part of the poet laureate's job description?

• Bob Fugger likes this

#7614 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:51 AM

Why not just make bridge operation part of the poet laureate's job description?

Heck you could add in the FN artist in residence and Mayor's strategy person as well.

#7615 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:03 AM

Heck you could add in the FN artist in residence and Mayor's strategy person as well.

And still probably only need someone less than 20 hours/week.

#7616 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 12:46 PM

Another great article from Focus on the sad state of affairs.

https://www.focusonv...bad-design-r9/ 

• A Girl is No one likes this

#7617 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 January 2019 - 02:07 PM

Basically, the bridge is already corroding, and specific items of the bridge raising/lowering mechanism are either already majorly malfunctioning, or are already in need of replacement.

The bridge looks pretty at night in its blue light ... but it's a complete and utter dog of a project that nobody wants anything to do with from here on in.

In short, the bridge is already falling apart and the rats can't disappear any faster than they're already trying to.

Edited by Cassidy, 06 January 2019 - 02:07 PM.

#7618 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 02:18 PM

the duct tape is a bad sign.

https://www.focusonv...-bad-design-r9/

This was supposed to be an “architecturally significant” structure, a “signature” bridge. What else could justify its eventual $120-million cost? Yet not a single mention of the project can be found on any of the websites of the companies involved in designing, engineering, and constructing it. None of them wants to put their corporate signature on the hodgepodge of metal confusion. But Victoria is stuck with it, the engineers claim, for the next 100 years.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 January 2019 - 02:20 PM.

• aastra likes this

#7619 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 04:23 PM

...the duct tape is a bad sign.

Cynical. As far as we know, duct tape hasn't yet been employed to reinforce the structure itself, right?

#7620 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 04:25 PM

Basically, the bridge is already corroding, and specific items of the bridge raising/lowering mechanism are either already majorly malfunctioning, or are already in need of replacement.

The bridge looks pretty at night in its blue light ... but it's a complete and utter dog of a project that nobody wants anything to do with from here on in.

In short, the bridge is already falling apart and the rats can't disappear any faster than they're already trying to.

I don't know if you can suggest that the bridge is malfunctioning based solely on the article. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users