BUILT
The Mondrian
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1090 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 10
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Mondrian is a 93 unit condo with ground floor retail space. Designed to appear like a Mondrian-inspired pa... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Mondrian on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Mondrian | Condos | 10 storeys | Built - completed in 2013

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
480 replies to this topic

#21 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 04:40 PM

OK- it looks like the project will be called The Mondrian and its address will actually by 1090 Johnson Street.

Alpha Developments has announced the project on its website:
http://www.alphadeve...ewprojects.html

#22 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 09:40 PM

OK- it looks like the project will be called The Mondrian

like this painting? that would be slick :cool: maybe the bright colours wouldn't work so well in victoria though

#23 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:34 PM

^ It wasn't - it just didn't get built because of the economy.

That makes sense now, thanks.

Doesn't Harris Green have higher height limits than 10 stories though? I mean there's View Towers, The Manhattan, Regent Park, etc....
In chains by Keynes

#24 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:51 PM

^I believe those all came in before the current guidelines (+ - 10 years ago.)

The Manhattan, for example was allowed to build that high because density transfer and a covenant was placed on the neighbouring two-storey office tower. Recall this prevented what would have been the 7-Eleven tower at Quadra/Yates.

The Regent's Park tower was allowed because they built that huge semi-public garden space connecting View with Yates.

The history of View Towers can be found elsewhere in this forum.

#25 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:05 PM

^ Aren't the new guidelines for much taller buildings? Why don't the developers push for that?

#26 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:31 PM

^That's the new cross-town plan. Taller on Yates, but not on Johnson.

#27 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:12 PM

Rob, do you know what kind of 'product' will be offered at the Mondrian? Is Alpha planning smaller units, somewhat larger units (like the suites at the nearby Sutton East/West and Pacific Monarch), or a mix (like the Aria, with suites ranging from 600 - 1500 square feet, not counting penthouses)?

It's great to see all of the action in the '1000' blocks of Harris Green, and I hope that the Mondrian will be a nice compliment to the Bossi House and Jukebox developments in the same area.

#28 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:49 AM

I don't know how they will be marketed but I am guessing it will be relatively "lower end" similar to 834 Johnson. There is an opportunity to brand this building as a stylish Mosaic-type condo.

I will find out more about this in the new year.

#29 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:16 AM

like this painting? that would be slick :cool: maybe the bright colours wouldn't work so well in victoria though

OK - great name for a building - but why don't they make it look like a Mondrian painting, or have design influenced by Mondrian? there is such great potential - the black vertical and horizontal lines, white background, blocks of primary colour - it would be fantastic! one of the more interesting buildings in the city, if they would only do it. But, being Victoria, design will always drift toward the mediocre.......sigh......
Pieta VanDyke

#30 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:03 AM

^ True. But perhaps in this area the city would let them be a bit more adventurous, this part of town could use the colour.

#31 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:51 PM

I'm pretty sure there's a rule that condominium buildings named "Mondrian" must not be colourful:

Mondrian Vancouver:

picture from http://www.6717000.com/mondrian/

Mondrian Ottawa:

picture from http://www.mondriano...com/tag/ottawa/

#32 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:02 PM

^That's the new cross-town plan. Taller on Yates, but not on Johnson.

This drives me nuts - its not one street that should allow tall buildings, its neighbourhoods. This ghettoization is the same thing that gave us 800-block view and Yates. The tall buildings should be spread out around Harris Green, not all plopped on Yates.

#33 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:20 PM

The Mondrian Vancouver has a neo-classic arch - that is just WRONG! and pink stucco - excuse me while I retch...... If they are going to co-opt a name, they should at least be required to stay in the genre!

At least the Ottawa one has a strong grid pattern. But as you say - no colour!
Pieta VanDyke

#34 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:35 PM

This drives me nuts - its not one street that should allow tall buildings, its neighbourhoods. This ghettoization is the same thing that gave us 800-block view and Yates. The tall buildings should be spread out around Harris Green, not all plopped on Yates.

The 800 Block of Yates is the best part of the street outside of oldtown.

#35 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:56 PM

^ Sure the street is fine, but jamming the Wave, 860 View, Chelsea, and whatever the other pink thing is into one block is poor planning in my opinion.

#36 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:56 AM

I like it. The more density the better. We need actually higher density to ensure that Downtown remains vibrant. I am sure that if it was awful no one would live there.

#37 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:11 PM

You could have achieved the same density in a more comfortable format if every building in the 800-block had been just a bit slimmer and just a bit taller.

The downside: some bozo from Central Saanich or View Royal who goes downtown once a year would surely have written a harsh letter to the TC complaining about how 860 View is two or three stories taller than it should have been.

It puts Victoria city planners in a difficult position when they have to weigh the interests of hundreds of downtown residents against the interests of a hypothetical loudmouthed bozo in another municipality.

#38 phx

phx
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:49 PM

It puts Victoria city planners in a difficult position when they have to weigh the interests of hundreds of downtown residents against the interests of a hypothetical loudmouthed bozo in another municipality.

Is this another aspect of the "Victoria Attitude"?

#39 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:58 PM

^I was just thinking along the same lines as I read the post. I guess there are no local bozos.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#40 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:18 PM

Has this passed council? There is fencing up and equipment on site.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users