BUILT
The Mondrian
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1090 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 10
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Mondrian is a 93 unit condo with ground floor retail space. Designed to appear like a Mondrian-inspired pa... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Mondrian on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Mondrian | Condos | 10 storeys | Built - completed in 2013

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
480 replies to this topic

#41 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:44 PM

Has this passed council? There is fencing up and equipment on site.

The Mondrian shouldn't require a rezoning, but (to my knowledge) a development permit has not been issued yet.

Another Harris Green project, The Jukebox, is in a similar state (waiting on development permit but with fencing etc. on site).

#42 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:19 PM

LJ And phx would seem to be correct in their replies to my post above. I'm not sure why I singled out loudmouthed bozos from other municipalities when there are plenty of them in Victoria proper. Maybe there were some letters to the editor around that time from people in other parts of town? Anyway, I can't recall anything in particular so I apologize for suggesting loudmouthed bozos from other municipalities hold an inordinate amount of sway as compared to loudmouthed bozos in Victoria.

#43 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:06 AM

The Mondrian's website is at http://www.mondrianvictoria.com/ . There's not much info on the site yet...

#44 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:45 AM

The Mondrian's website is at http://www.mondrianvictoria.com/ . There's not much info on the site yet...

I also noticed a small Mondrian sign on the lot itself yesterday.

#45 slinkyo

slinkyo
  • 155 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:53 AM

Like that's what Victoria REALLY needs! Another blasé condo development.

#46 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:18 AM

^ ? They haven't even released the design yet, have they?

#47 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:43 AM

Blasé is in the eye of the beholder... ;)

#48 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:38 AM

Very interesting article here from The Atlantic March 2011 issue:

http://www.theatlant...-the-city/8387/

#49 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:02 AM

There haven't even been any designs released to come to the conclusion that this is "blasé", but what does Victoria "REALLY" need on this corner if it's not a condo development?

In my ever so humble opinion (IMESHO), Victoria and Harris Green in particular desperately needs more residents, more condos and fewer surface parking lots. As long as this building isn't a big 'ol fail, of which I don't think we have experienced downtown for quite some time so there is absolutely no reason to assume this project will be, then this project should be a net positive to the neighbourhood and community.

#50 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:16 PM

The previous proposal would have been terrific.

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:06 PM

In my ever so humble opinion (IMESHO), Victoria and Harris Green in particular desperately needs more residents, more condos and fewer surface parking lots. As long as this building isn't a big 'ol fail, of which I don't think we have experienced downtown for quite some time so there is absolutely no reason to assume this project will be, then this project should be a net positive to the neighbourhood and community.

Couldn't agree more, J.

To some individuals condos represent greedy capitalism and wanton opulence. To others a condo is new residents and density, effective land use, investment in a community and urban renewal.

Luckily in Victoria the traditionally Victorian beliefs that new buildings represent forces of evil or are selfishly used as tertiary homes for the uber rich is losing out. But that's not to say that the "windows are dark so nobody is living in that condo" mentality will disappear any time soon.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#52 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:47 AM

The Planning and Land Use Committee will consider the development permit Thursday (the recommendation is for approval).

#53 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:20 AM

10-storey “The Mondrian” condo expects green light from City Hall
By Mike Kozakowski, VibrantVictoria.ca
http://vibrantvictor...from-city-hall/

The Mondrian, a 10-storey, 30-meter tall residential building with groundfloor retail proposed for the northwest corner of Cook and Johnson streets in downtown Victoria’s Harris Green neighbourhood, will go before the Planning and Land Use Committee at Victoria City Hall tomorrow.

City planners are recommending approval for the 70,000 square foot mixed-use project that is the latest proposal on a site that has seen several concepts surface in recent years. [Read more]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#54 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:22 AM

Just read the article on the front page. Looks like a decent and dense building. I enjoy the design, it feels european for some reason. The ground level looks good and I'm glad they already have a huge ground floor anchor tenant that sells signs. From the math I just quick did in my head it looks like the FSR would be about 3.5 to 1 ?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#55 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:25 AM

I like it...therefore it will never get built, or be bastardized beyond recognition at the Council table.:(

#56 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:32 AM

Looks okay but not great. Very boxy and ordinary. There's something about the design of the upper part of the building that doesn't seem to jive with the design of the podium.

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:03 PM

I like it...therefore it will never get built, or be bastardized beyond recognition at the Council table.:(

The Planning and Land Use Committee is expected to support the project considering no variances are required from the existing zoning. Council has no reason to stand in opposition to a building that otherwise conforms to existing zoning.

Know it all.

#58 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:11 PM

It looks great, except for the top! It seems like something is missing...If you look at the podium and the first 5 floors it looks fantastic, but then after 10 stories it just ends. I think a top floor setback on a building so short would look silly, so I'm not sure what else could be done.

I really like the colours though. Too many buildings are mono-colour and I really like the bits of red, yellow and grey they have incorporated.

#59 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:29 PM

I like how the building's proportions seem to respond well to the adjacent Sutton East and Sutton West.

Alpha Developments also built the Monterrey condo at 1011 Johnson, so this will be their second development in the 10xx block of Johnson.

#60 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:33 PM

I like it! It will be a welcome addition! Very exciting.

Mind you, the proportion would make more sense if it were twice as tall.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users