Photo

Go Canucks Go

• Please log in to reply
972 replies to this topic

#81 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:06 AM

you mean luongo wanted to win it in the olympic arena? ;) if they just finish what they started in the last 2 periods of game 6 they'll win pretty easily i think. vancouver was doing all the right things & except for that 5-on-3 boston looked completely overrun (especially in the 3rd). I think their only challenge will be to keep it together & ignore the home crowd that will definitely be going ape**** in the last <10mins of the game. it will probably be tempting for some of them to take their foot off the gas if they get too excited before it's over.

I was watching a different game.

#82 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:22 AM

I was watching a different game.

what did it look like to you then?

#83 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:21 AM

what did it look like to you then?

It looked like da Broons running them out of the rink.

#84 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:45 PM

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#85 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,603 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:00 PM

Pretty obvious a lot of the Canucks are really hurting, aside from Kesler which everyone knows about, but also Edler and I'm told by a Vancouver sports media type that "one of the Sedin's" has a serious owie as well which would explain in part why they have been invisible in this series. In addition I think its obvious that Tim Thomas is in the Canucks' collective heads. Interesting start - nice push initially by Vancouver, but the B's get the opening goal. As much as I am no fan of Luongo, can't blame that one on him. Shaping up to be an exciting finish.....

#86 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:53 PM

Can't blame Luongo for any of it if the Canucks don't score goals.

#87 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,603 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:14 PM

Canuck's are completely gassed, as in "out of". Would take some kind of special mojo indeed to mount anything resembling a comeback.

Arrogance as they say is almost always misplaced; the Canucks, and the Vancouver media, were full of it coming into the series. Looking very much like they will wind up regretting it too.

Luongo dissing Thomas was bad enough, but Sedin's Game 7 'guarantee' was possibly one of the dumbest things any NHL player has said in recent playoff memory. Both he and his brother are doing great imitations of ghosts when it counts most. And to boot they have been on the ice for all 3 Bruin goals tonight....

#88 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:40 PM

Ah, who really cares about those silly guarantees that athletes make? The sports media and schoolkids, I suppose. Nobody else, surely.

The Canucks had a good year but they just didn't show up for the finals. The way things played out, the Bruins were unlucky not to have won it in four or five games.

...the Vancouver media, were full of it coming into the series. Looking very much like they will wind up regretting it too.

I don't think they'll regret it at all. They'll feast on it. There will be no end of fools calling for the dismantling of this team.

Boston has been the most blessed city in pro sports in recent years. Will the Bruins join the party and make a big comeback here?

This past decade or so in Boston has really been over the top. Remember when we used to make fun of Boston? Only the Celtics were good?

#89 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,603 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:19 PM

I don't think it was a case at all of them not showing up; Vancouver was simply physically beaten up by a superior team. Boston punished them on literally every shift and the Canucks, unfortunately, had no answers.

And I don't think anyone will call for a dismantling of the core of the team per se, but I would seriously think about trying to shed Luongo's ridiculous contract - consider they are on the hook for that albatross for another 11 years. He is also now at the age where he starts to become a declining asset, whereas Cory Schneider has more than proved he can assume the starter's role. He'll also come a lot, lot cheaper. Problem is, how to find a trade-dance partner to take on 'The Contract'? Imagine what the Canucks could do with that money not only in terms of acquiring new blood should they so choose, but also to retain current key players - consider Bieksa to name but one is going to command a bundle more $$$ than he currently does.

And unless Salo agrees to a home town discount I would look to jettison him given his injury history. Other than that I wouldn't make any drastic changes.

#90 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:52 PM

If I was another team with goaltending woes I'd be very interested in Luongo. He's good enough to get a decent team to the finals. As long as they understand that it's not also his job to score goals or to win the whole darned thing by himself.

Meanwhile, the rioting and all the rest... it's really time for Vancouver to shed the whole "idiot backwoods lumberjack" element of its personality. Enough is enough.

#91 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,603 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:01 PM

Yup I agree 100% on the rioting nonsense; I sure would hate to be a Vancouver or Surrey cop tonight.......

#92 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:00 PM

Seeing those car fires so close to the overhangs of the Hudson's Bay store... Can you imagine if the building were to catch fire? That's the freakin' Hudson's Bay store. Unbelievable lack of respect for the city. These aren't city people, these are yokels. It's ridiculous.

They're talking about it now on CTV.

#93 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:00 PM

I hope a mass identification program results in more arrests and fines for these losers soon.

Image: twitpic.com
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#94 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:09 PM

I don't think it was a case at all of them not showing up; Vancouver was simply physically beaten up by a superior team. Boston punished them on literally every shift and the Canucks, unfortunately, had no answers.

And I don't think anyone will call for a dismantling of the core of the team per se, but I would seriously think about trying to shed Luongo's ridiculous contract - consider they are on the hook for that albatross for another 11 years. He is also now at the age where he starts to become a declining asset, whereas Cory Schneider has more than proved he can assume the starter's role. He'll also come a lot, lot cheaper. Problem is, how to find a trade-dance partner to take on 'The Contract'? Imagine what the Canucks could do with that money not only in terms of acquiring new blood should they so choose, but also to retain current key players - consider Bieksa to name but one is going to command a bundle more $$$ than he currently does.

And unless Salo agrees to a home town discount I would look to jettison him given his injury history. Other than that I wouldn't make any drastic changes.

Keith Ballard at $4 mil + has to go. He did zip.
Nobody will touch Luongo with that contract, one of the worst in the league, though I don't think they want to move him.

#95 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:10 PM

Seeing those car fires so close to the overhangs of the Hudson's Bay store... Can you imagine if the building were to catch fire? That's the freakin' Hudson's Bay store. Unbelievable lack of respect for the city. These aren't city people, these are yokels. It's ridiculous.

They're talking about it now on CTV.

Ray Ferraro on TSN, who lives in Van, said its people who come downtown with the sole aim of vandalizing and rioting. These monkeys aren't fans.

#96 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:16 PM

Wow, what a mess in Vancouver.

Can you imagine if this happened during the Olympic gold medal hockey game?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#97 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:26 PM

The riots have nothing to do with sport or fans, just narcissism. I fear it was inevitable, win or lose. Completely shameful.

The game itself was tough. Can't pin this one on Luongo - he actually played pretty well. Boston just outclassed the whole team. Hopefully people can remember this as a successful season overall though.

#98 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 436 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:29 PM

If I was another team with goaltending woes I'd be very interested in Luongo. He's good enough to get a decent team to the finals..............

He would be an average goalie on an average team. He had the benefit of some of the best D in the league.

This riot was in the cards regardless of the outcome of the game. These louts were there strictly to cause sh*t!

Unfortunately, the focus will inevitably sfift from the assh*les behaviour to how the police handles the situation. The cops can't win. I got really pissed off at the hordes of idiots with their cel phone cameras trying to capture the next incriminating video. Shameful. There should be a world of hurt dealt to anyone who doesn't leave on demand. It is a mob mentality. All gloves are off.

#99 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:52 PM

I'd say Luongo is slightly better than average. I can't tell you how many arguments I've had with people about Luongo over the years. I always said he was overrated by Canucks fans beyond all reason, but nevertheless good enough to get a team to the finals. (At the beginning of these playoffs I said he was good enough to lose in the finals... the young guy I said that to was really miffed)

Prevailing opinion was that he was the greatest goaltender ever. End of discussion. Better than Brodeur and Roy combined (no joke, I actually had that argument with someone).

Then prevailing opinion reversed and suddenly Luongo was the only thing preventing the Canucks from winning 10 straight Stanley Cups. End of discussion. The most perfect team in history was being held back by the shakiest goaltender in history.

Simple-minded Canucks fans always blame the goalie. Their team could get beat 20-0 and it would still be the goalie's fault. He broke the hearts of his teammates when he allowed that first soft goal, etc.

Methinks Canucks fans deserve themselves.

#100 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:25 PM

Websites are popping up where you can post pics and tag offenders.

ie: http://www.facebook....218307958191810

http://www.facebook....121837081234162
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users