Canada Post issues and news in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
810 replies to this topic

#501 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:25 PM

Isn't there a new Canada Post service that addresses this?

Here: https://www.canadapo...murl|pdn|lh|297
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#502 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:28 PM

Isn't there a new Canada Post service that addresses this?

It's been plastered on all the Canada Post vans for about 2 years now:

https://www.canadapo...fd/default.page

When you order something, you can specify where the package gets delivered (with some restrictions)

#503 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:31 PM

Only works as a PO box,  lots of places won't ship there.  It's also all registered mail, anything you have to sign for.  I just want to change what my "default" post outlet is.  I'm probably in some stupid shaped catchment area based on neighborhood/district rather than geography.  The main yates st. post office,  the outlet in Monk Office, and the one on Douglas are all closer by a long shot than the Cook St. Village outlet,  but I still need to walk down there for every bit of registered mail or package.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#504 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:17 PM

Only works as a PO box,  lots of places won't ship there.  It's also all registered mail, anything you have to sign for.  I just want to change what my "default" post outlet is.  I'm probably in some stupid shaped catchment area based on neighborhood/district rather than geography.  The main yates st. post office,  the outlet in Monk Office, and the one on Douglas are all closer by a long shot than the Cook St. Village outlet,  but I still need to walk down there for every bit of registered mail or package.

Mine seems to change for whatever reason. Sometimes it's the People's pharmacy in Quadra Village and sometimes it's the Shopper's Drug Mart at Hillside Mall. I much prefer the Shopper's because their hours and customer service are leaps and bounds superior. *shrugs*

#505 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:56 PM

Utility companies and local governments are starting to warn people about possible disruptions in mail service, should there be a strike or lockout at Canada Post.

A work stoppage affecting 40,000 employees including both urban and rural delivery personnel is possible anytime on or after July 2.
http://kitchener.ctv...uly-2-1.2958732

#506 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:57 PM

I got a text message from Bell telling me I should arrange other payment methods...

I've been paying automatically by CC for years.
  • 57WestHills likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#507 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:03 PM

Why can't they strike at income tax season?

#508 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 04:10 AM

I got a text message from Bell telling me I should arrange other payment methods...

I've been paying automatically by CC for years.

Ya I've never paid by mail and I got the text. Just covering I guess.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#509 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:41 PM

Will they shutdown epost? I wouldn't be surprised.

#510 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:07 AM

The Purolator guy today had a delivery for me and another neighbour.  He was running up the stairs and down the hall, half out of breath.  When I joked about him getting his workout in for the day, he replied that it's been like this every day for the last three weeks.  Canada Post! 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#511 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:24 AM

I threw 10 postcards in the mail last night, not really thinking about it.  Oh well, they are actually not all that time-sensitive, provided the work stoppage is over by August 10th or so.

#512 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:44 AM

So it's on now, the work stoppage?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#513 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:55 AM

So it's on now, the work stoppage?

Monday morning CP can lock them out.  The union has rejected binding arbitration.

#514 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:24 PM

I threw 10 postcards in the mail last night, not really thinking about it.  Oh well, they are actually not all that time-sensitive, provided the work stoppage is over by August 10th or so.

Thanks VHF I received mine already...gosh I didn't know you were in Bolivia...oh! the postmark is 1983.

#515 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:51 PM

Canada Post - we put the K in Kwality....

WP_20160705_17_23_10_Pro.jpg

Edited by LJ, 07 July 2016 - 07:51 PM.

• VicHockeyFan and sebberry like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#516 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:47 PM

Anything important like that you pretty much have to ship in a box.
  • tedward likes this

#517 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:14 PM

The fact that this is over pensions for staff that don't work there yet is ridiculous.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#518 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:49 AM

^ Because planning for the future is  bad?!?

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#519 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:01 AM

I think somewhere it is normally written that a union's job is to protect and promote the interests of current employees, not hypothetical new ones.

#520 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:09 AM

Some pension plans just are not sustainable over the long term. I've gone through several of these changes. Most crown corps have changed or tried to change their pension plans to be more sustainable. This is exactly what Canada Post is trying to do. Posties get compensated very well, they don't need a gold plated guaranteed plan on top of that, and Canada Post will have no problem finding employees in the future with a 'less gold-plated' plan.

The rural / women issue is one I'd be more focused on if I were the union.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users