Canada Post issues and news in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
810 replies to this topic

#521 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:10 AM

And any new prospective employee can decide whether they want the job based on the conditions. If they don't like the pension plan they can work somewhere else.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#522 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:38 AM

What a load of horseshit. Unions are supposed to protect their members now and in the future. "Gold-plated" is simply code word for "suck more profit by finding another way to pay workers less".  Pensions are not an extra, they are part of an overall compensation package where we take less pay now for a more secure retirement.

And BTW you are all conveniently forgetting that Canada Post is profitable now and can be even more so in the future without having to screw over younger and future workers.

This is not about a fair deal for workers it is about political ideology that a) has been proven flawed (at best), and b) was voted out at the last federal election but remains thanks to unethical and undemocratic actions by Mr Harper on his way out the door.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#523 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:54 AM

They are going to be more profitable in the future? Not sure about that. 

https://youtu.be/Le46ERPMlWU

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#524 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:49 AM

Pensions are not an extra, they are part of an overall compensation package where we take less pay now for a more secure retirement.

Except posties don't make low pay. They make very, very good wages, before you consider any benefits.

#525 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:56 AM

Except posties don't make low pay. They make very, very good wages, before you consider any benefits.

With all the exercise they get on the job, you'd think the employer could cut a little from health benefits. ;)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#526 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:52 PM

Never said they were. What is wrong with good wages and benefits? Oh wait, nothing.

• North Shore, Jill and Daveyboy like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#527 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 July 2016 - 02:05 PM

You wrote they take less pay now in order to get a more secure retirement. That isn't the case here. Similar jobs, not with Canada Post, - ie. Fedex, Purolator, pay less or about the same, and have far less benefits.

#528 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:54 AM

With all the exercise they get on the job, you'd think the employer could cut a little from health benefits. ;)

For sure, but they ought to receive a sunscreen and (hat) clothing allowance.

jbw

#529 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:40 PM

I imagine ID thieves are happy. When these community mailboxes are broken into, does Canada Post hold your mail until the locking mechanism is fixed/replaced?

Here we go again.

Central Saanich police are asking for public assistance in the theft of mailboxes from businesses in Brentwood Village.
Police said that sometime from Aug. 13-15 a mailbox was damaged at a business on West Saanich Road near Wallace Drive, followed by a second mailbox being removed from an exterior wall at a neighbouring business.

Call Central Saanich police at 250-652-4441 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) with any information.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.hjgUPTT2.dpuf

#530 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:53 PM

Central Saanich police are asking for public assistance in the theft of mailboxes from businesses in Brentwood Village.

Police said that sometime from Aug. 13-15 a mailbox was damaged at a business on West Saanich Road near Wallace Drive, followed by a second mailbox being removed from an exterior wall at a neighbouring business.

The stolen mailbox might have contained valuable items, police said.

Call Central Saanich police at 250-652-4441 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) with any information.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...2.WvHBJWh4.dpuf

I know it's the weekend TC, but at least write coherent articles, or don't even bother.

What the hell is Brentwood Village?  And what is the second (or more) stolen mailbox?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#531 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:23 PM

^ I don't think any local would not understand that Brentwood 'Village' = Brentwood Bay.

#532 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:19 AM

I sure know where it is and I sure the heck didnt  mix it up with Brentwood California

#533 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:23 PM

It appears contract talks at Canada Post have stalled as a strike mandate for more than 51,000 members of the Canadian Union of Postal Workers is set to expire.

The postal agency's biggest union has until midnight Thursday to serve the Crown corporation with a 72-hour strike notice.

"After 9 months of negotiations, including 60 days of conciliation followed by more than 70 days with the help of mediators, both sides remain far apart," said Canada Post spokesman Jon Hamilton.

"The union continues to press for more than $1 billion in demands with no appreciation for the current and troubling future state of the postal service caused by declining mail volumes and increasing pension obligations.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...talks-1.3734532

#534 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 05:35 AM

24-year-old Paulo Anthony-Murphy was arrested at around 3:00 a.m. on Thursday after a resident reported a bunch of mailboxes broken into near the 800 block of Mt. Newton Cross Road.

The suspect was driving a stolen vehicle and there was a pry bar and numerous pieces of stolen mail found inside.

http://www.cfax1070....ly-morning-mail

#535 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:27 PM

http://news.national...the-agency-time

Canada Post task force floats door-to-door delivery fees among options that could buy the agency time

• Mr Cook Street likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#536 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 September 2016 - 03:06 PM

^ oh boy. How does that work if a couple of people in a neighbourhood don't want to pay to get door to door, but the rest want to keep it.

#537 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 03:14 PM

^ oh boy. How does that work if a couple of people in a neighbourhood don't want to pay to get door to door, but the rest want to keep it.

The rest goes to the supermailbox.  The guys delivering to the supermailbox is there every day anyway, if he's got 11 paying customers nearby, he heads to your hone.

#538 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:27 AM

I'm good with this. I used superboxes my whole life until moving to Victoria with nary an issue. 

Now, if I develop multiple, chronic, terminal diseases like Hillary Clinton, I'll cough up the extra money for doorstep delivery. *SARCASM* 

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#539 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:48 AM

Andrew Coyne: If Canada Post finds it too hard or costly to deliver mail, let someone else do it

http://news.national...eone-else-do-it

The job of a post office, one might reasonably suppose, is to deliver the mail. That was surely somewhere in the vicinity of what those who established it had in mind, or they wouldn’t have put “post” in the name. The 1981 Canada Post Corporation Act sets out as its primary objective “to establish and operate a postal service.”

And yet, although it now charges a minimum 85 cents per letter — five times as much as in 1981 — and maintains about 64,000 employees on its payroll, the post office seems increasingly unwilling to do the job for which it was established, the job that it alone is allowed to do: deliver the mail.

This is not new. The decline has been going on for decades. Saturday delivery was the first to go. The overnight delivery standard was next: as of 1986, two days within the same city was acceptable. Over much of the country, in the years that followed, home delivery was eliminated in favour of community mailboxes. In effect, much of the public now deliver the mail to themselves.

#540 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:36 PM

Canada Post delivered a package the other day see the guy coming up the walkway decide to head to the door and open it to save time for the guy on the chance a signature was needed, open the door my packages is in mid-air rolls across the porch and perfectly lands in front of me I looked down the stairs and the Canada Post worker looking slightly embarrassed saysta-dah” and backs away.

Edited by todd, 03 October 2016 - 12:43 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users