Photo

Canada Post issues and news in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
810 replies to this topic

#581 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:36 PM

I know that Canada Post is striking... but I have no idea what for.  What is the main issue?

• sebberry likes this

#582 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:38 PM

I know that Canada Post is striking... but I have no idea what for.  What is the main issue?

They were waiting until after the election.*

*a guess

#583 AnAndrew

AnAndrew
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 06:59 AM

I know that Canada Post is striking... but I have no idea what for. What is the main issue?

Pay equitity between urban and rural workers. Workload issues due the the significant increase in packages.

#584 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:23 AM

A few of the "brothers and sisters" were picketing across from my office today; I remember back in the day in the 70's and early 80's some truly raucous strikes where, depending who was on strike and why, unionists could command sizable crowds of sympathizers.

I am in no shape or form pro-union but I actually felt a pang of sympathy for these folks today. No one, and I mean nobody, nada, zilch was paying them the slightest iota of attention either street side or from vehicles where in the past it was common for sympathizers to honk their horns, wave fists etc. Today I watched the strikers for about ten minutes and from what I could see they might as well have been utterly invisible insofar as passers-by were concerned. I was interested in particular to observe the reaction of younger people on the street - utterly disinterested probably is a good summation - for whom a "Canada Post" might be a made in Canada wooden marker de-marking a Saskatchewan wheat-field boundary for all they know.....

I think this is going to be a long strike, especially when no one really needs mail service anymore.

I think there was a study done and the average Canadian checks their mail once a week.  With rotating strikes you still get your mail, and once a week is fine with me.  I used to check it once a week, but now make a habit of walking to my super mailbox every day for the exercise.

#585 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:32 AM

I think this is going to be a long strike, especially when no one really needs mail service anymore.

Guess you missed where it was pointed out that one of the big issues is the increase in package deliveries. 

Oh, and good luck voting in the upcoming referendum without postal service.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#586 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:32 AM

Kinda hard to get your Amazon delivery without the postal service. Although I notice only about every 3 or 4 packages from Amazon ship via Canada Post for me. Most come from some company called Dynamex that seem to be an UBER postal service of sorts with generic unmarked vehicles and no uniform on the delivery people.

#587 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 08:18 AM

Kinda hard to get your Amazon delivery without the postal service.

Probably 19 out of 20 things that I've ever bought online have been delivered by Canada Post. That's why the flex delivery addresses have been so convenient.

• Midnightly likes this

#588 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 08:52 AM

Flex mail has been a godsend for receiving packages when I'm not at home - I can instead easily pick up at the downtown Shoppers' PO after work. However not all retailers - and some merchants on Amazon for example - like shipping to what looks like a PO Box address, even though it in fact resolves to an actual post office.

Sometimes when ordering something that refuses to ship to my flex mail address, I sigh and take a chance on shipping directly to my home address. Sometimes it works out OK, and sometimes it is carried by Purolator which requires me to travel out to their place at Saanich Plaza, which is a bit more than a minor nuisance.

#589 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 01:26 PM

Guess you missed where it was pointed out that one of the big issues is the increase in package deliveries. 

Oh, and good luck voting in the upcoming referendum without postal service.

Most of my packages come via FedEx or UPS (almost knew the UPS guys name he was at my house so often).  Lots of competition thru other private companies.  Only my cheap ebay purchases from China seem to come via Canada Post

Mail is still rolling, now might just be delayed by a day if your city is targeted for a strike that day

Government should wake up and do the referendum online.  Hell I still get my MSP invoice every month in the mail where all of my company invoices both receiving and sent are via email.

I could care less if this strike goes on for 10 years.  I say get rid of all door to door service, all mail goes to super mailboxes and large packages are automatically picked up at the post office with an email saying when its ready for pick up.  There you go, now all mail delivery people don't have to worry because there jobs are redundant.

• RFS likes this

#590 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 02:31 PM

Government should wake up and do the referendum online.  

​Then they either set up the infrastructure to host it for essentially no reason or start allowing BC to vote online in provincial/municipal elections which with all the tinfoil hatting going on with electronic counters for the recent municipal elections I don't think we're anywhere near either. 

I could care less if this strike goes on for 10 years.  I say get rid of all door to door service, all mail goes to super mailboxes and large packages are automatically picked up at the post office with an email saying when its ready for pick up.  There you go, now all mail delivery people don't have to worry because there jobs are redundant.

Isn't the reason people buy on Bestbuy.ca opposed to walking into Best Buy so they don't have to leave their house? Making people pick up their packages seems counterproductive. Plus I always love people suggesting we just get rid of jobs as if new ones are just growing on trees (outside the minimum wage McDonalds that you can't live off of).

#591 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 06:54 AM

We only vote on paper because we have been doing it that way for centuries.  If I can access my credit cards and bank online I think there is enough security to vote online too

Uh, new jobs are growing on trees haven't you seen all the help wanted signs?  I get so many people cold calling me asking me if I want to make a change its getting annoying

#592 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 07:06 AM

I know, I researched electronic voting (including online) for my political science class and after looking at the many countries and places that use it I don't see any evidence of tampering but people were saying the municipal elections could easily be rigged when all that was was a computer counting instead of a person and the paper ballots still exist and could be counted.

Also how many of those help wanted signs are for minimum wage jobs or "entry level" that require 5 years of experience in the field every job requires 5 years experience? My sister has done a lot of retail jobs and they all keep the schedule so you're barely not making full time. That means you probably need to juggle two so now all the postal people doing one job need two or three.

#593 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 03:53 PM

Online voting worked out poorly for the communities in Ontario that used it this week. There was a service interruption that caused polls to remain open for as long as an extra 24 hours.

#594 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 08:53 AM

Mail delayed...

Canada Post is dealing with a parcel volume two to three times higher than normal for this time of year, said spokesman Jon Hamilton.

The backlog of six million packages is concentrated in major processing centres such as Toronto and Vancouver.

Guarantees that a parcel will be delivered within a specific window have been suspended until further notice.

The Crown corporation has rented 1,400 additional vehicles for deliveries and 500 more for moving items between facilities. It has also added 4,000 seasonal employees.

https://www.timescol...days-1.23525176

#595 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:22 AM

I'm not seeing any issues, I bought something online yesterday and its due at my house on Friday via Canada Post

#596 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 11:48 AM

Sounds statistically valid ;)

Unfortunately, not consistent with every package.

Ie: https://www.canadapo...009764008380438

#597 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 01:57 PM

I shipped a fairly large parcel with Canada Post to family in Montreal last Thursday, and it arrived this Monday, a week ahead of the estimate that they gave me. Other packages (both sending and receiving) have arrived within expected times too. All the reported delays I've read about seem like a huge overstatement.

When I asked the employee at the post office about shipping delays, he rolled his eyes and said that was BS put out by the government who doesn't want to pay them. I assume that's an overstatement too, and the actual truth is somewhere in the middle. Some delays, but not at all as bad as reported.

#598 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 02:01 PM

I have 2 packages which shipped Nov 17th, expected delivery was Dec 2nd, still have not received either package.

#599 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 04:41 PM

Where are they coming from?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#600 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 12 December 2018 - 08:18 PM

A package sent via Purolator on Nov. 30 from Toronto expected in Victoria 3-5 business days - today, Dec. 12 and no package. 

Purolator says they have 'high volume' - should've had it sent via Canada Post. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users