Canada Post issues and news in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
810 replies to this topic

#641 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 07:50 AM

interesting that CP has suspended all its delivery guarantees.  they are still very short-staffed.  is CERB better than working at CP?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 October 2020 - 07:50 AM.

#642 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:17 AM

I think mail delivery from the island is bad.  I sent a letter beginning of October to Vancouver and it just got there this week.

Meanwhile had something delivered to me from Manitoba.  It was sent on monday this week and got it on thursday.

This is standard letter mail.

#643 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:56 AM

interesting that CP has suspended all its delivery guarantees.  they are still very short-staffed.  is CERB better than working at CP?

That's been in place since March.

BTW, I did see an ad from Canada Post saying they were hiring. Think the first time they have ever had to go looking for employees?

#644 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:02 AM

^ oh i know.  i'm just saying 7 months later they do not have their sh&t together still.

i've had two parcel issues with them just this week..  it's like their employees could not care less that a person is waiting for that delivery.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 October 2020 - 09:03 AM.

#645 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:05 AM

... it's like their employees could not care less that a person is waiting for that delivery.

That's no different than at least one private courier company I have dealt with recently.

#646 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 12:30 PM

i got a call from my daughter on the weekend she told me that the guy she has been dating for about a year asked her to marry him.

he's a mailman.  

sounds like she wants to do it.

but i'm not sure if i'm going to letter.

• Ismo07 likes this

#647 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 12:35 PM

Oh come on. Give her your stamp of approval.

• kingcollar and Victoria Watcher like this

#648 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 June 2021 - 10:46 AM

They can go to Parcelona for their honeymoon.

• Mike K., Nparker, kingcollar and 1 other like this

#649 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 16 October 2021 - 05:26 AM

Canada Post cuts off deliveries for residents living near dog park citing safety concerns

https://www.timescol...erns-1.24364259

About a dozen houses along ­Gonzales Avenue in Fairfield have been cut off from mail deliveries for the past six weeks after Canada Post cited concerns about loose dogs straying from nearby Pemberton Park.

Residents of Gonzales have had to pick up their mail at Canada Post’s Glanford Avenue sorting plant about six kilometres away, and more recently from a facility on Fort Street.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 October 2021 - 05:27 AM.

#650 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 16 October 2021 - 06:50 AM

No Postie has ever suffered a dog bite in this block.

Canada Posts refusal to deliver mail is incredibly knee-jerk and poorly thought out.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#651 m3m

m3m
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 16 October 2021 - 12:13 PM

No Postie has ever suffered a dog bite in this block.
Canada Posts refusal to deliver mail is incredibly knee-jerk and poorly thought out.

A bite should not be necessary in order to effect this change. If a postal worker feels uncomfortable or unsafe delivering to a particular house, then an alternative should be made. These seem like terrible alternatives though.

I find that most people, especially people who own dogs, are oblivious and to the fact that people that don’t like dogs exist.

#652 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 16 October 2021 - 03:29 PM

The thing is though ... a posties job is to deliver your mail to your house. That's their only job. 

How a postie might "feel" while at work is irrelevant, as it is also irrelevant in my place of work when I don't "feel" like doing the job I'm being paid to do ... I suck it up and do the job I'm being paid to do anyway because that's how the system works.

I "might" get hit by a car walking to my office, and I "might" get stabbed or shot in a robbery taking place in my building ... what "might" happen has no bearing on what I'm required to do on a daily basis in return for somebody giving me a paycheque.

#653 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 16 October 2021 - 03:31 PM

it's pretty weak sauce for sure.  the worker on that route is a wimp.  just move them to another walk.

#654 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 06:30 AM

Residents of a Fairfield block are getting their mail delivered again — two months after Canada Post stopped the service over a carrier’s concerns about a nearby off-leash dog park.

Gonzales Avenue resident Brian Rogers said home mail delivery in the area resumed Friday.

About a dozen homes on the 1800 block of Gonzales between Richardson Street and Foul Bay Road have had to pick up their mail — initially at Canada Post’s Glanford Avenue sorting plant in Saanich, and more recently from a facility on Fort Street — while home delivery was stopped.

https://www.timescol...g-fears-4738086

Canada Post has not commented on the issue, or why mail delivery was reinstated late last week.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 November 2021 - 06:31 AM.

#655 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 06:09 AM

Mail service has resumed on Lasqueti Island after the local post office was shut down due to unvaccinated staff, residents say.

As a Crown corporation, Canada Post employees are subject to the vaccine mandate for federal staff. Employees were required to submit their vaccination status by Nov. 26.

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers filed an application for a cease-and-desist order against the mandate that was denied last week.

Canada Post said service resumed to Lasqueti community mailboxes on Thursday and Friday, and the regular Monday-Thursday-Friday delivery schedule is expected to return next week.

Lasqueti, which is located off Parksville and has a population of about 400, was without mail service for the first part of this week.

https://www.timescol...-office-4829810

Seems reasonable, why not have 3-days mail service everywhere?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 December 2021 - 06:09 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#656 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 08:09 AM

Not sure why a postal carrier must be vaccinated but staff in restaurants don't have to be. I can't remember the last time I ingested a virus-laden piece of mail.

• Matt R. likes this

#657 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 08:34 PM

Not sure why a postal carrier must be vaccinated but staff in restaurants don't have to be. I can't remember the last time I ingested a virus-laden piece of mail.

i guess that would be there difference between a government job and a private job...

#658 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 12:46 AM

So only government workers can spread/get sick from COVID? And here I was thinking we were all in this together.

#659 Moderation

Moderation
  • Suspended User
  • 364 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 04:38 PM

Like many areas with multiple jurisdictions and levels of government involved making rules that fit within  the various laws is difficult..

This a good BC example of that. Can BC mandate  vaccination of small business employers? What is the reason for this situation in BC?

#660 Moderation

Moderation
  • Suspended User
  • 364 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 04:44 PM

No mandate means in BC

https://stlawyers.ca...s/bc/#nomandate

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users