Victoria Royals | WHL hockey team

• Please log in to reply
582 replies to this topic

#481 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,861 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 09:01 AM

well i guess that explains why most whl teams see such a significant drop in attendance for the first round or two of the playoffs.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 March 2019 - 09:02 AM.

#482 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:34 PM

well i guess that explains why most whl teams see such a significant drop in attendance for the first round or two of the playoffs.

I mean, that's not at all true but I guess anyone can just make stuff up. Last season, only 4 of 16 teams had a "significant drop in attendance" (larger than 5%) in the first round, and one of those four teams wasn't even playing in an arena with a capacity large enough to surpass their regular season total. In the second round, only 2 of 8 teams has a drop larger than 5%.

whl.jpg

• jonny and unclespeedo like this

#483 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,861 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:39 PM

ya. first of all the yearly average is usually pretty small compared to big games and important games. so just barely beating their average is no big feat. so really any drop off is not good.

secondly playoff attendance in the first round will indeed pick up as the series goes on. so those averages above probably mean games 1, 2, 3 and 4 were not nearly as high as those averages might suggest.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 March 2019 - 12:42 PM.

#484 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:46 PM

Was at the game tonight. Place looked like it was about half full. Late in the game it was announced that attendance was 4,103. I figure that if the Royals make it to game five, which will be here next Saturday if needed, the attendance will likely be higher.

#485 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,861 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 03:23 AM

that sounds about right. they had as usual 4 or 5 sellouts this season (including 7006 at last Friday’s game) but then 4103 for a playoff game.

so even Friday vs. Friday they drop almost 3,000 fans. or over $60,000.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 March 2019 - 03:32 AM.

#486 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,861 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 04:27 PM

Folks keep showing up at the games despite prices rising every year.

http://www.hockeydb....hp?tmi[]=10729

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 March 2019 - 04:29 PM.

#487 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,861 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 04:57 AM

4614 announced attendance last night for playoff game #2.

4103 on friday.

series tied 1-1.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 March 2019 - 05:00 AM.

#488 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 08:52 AM

One thing to keep in mind is that regular season attendance numbers are "paid attendance", meaning all the season ticket holders are counted whether they show up or not. Actual attendance is often quite a bit lower, especially at weeknight games. Last night's game was better attended than the average regular season game in terms of actual attendance.

#489 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,861 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 09:05 AM

One thing to keep in mind is that regular season attendance numbers are "paid attendance", meaning all the season ticket holders are counted whether they show up or not. Actual attendance is often quite a bit lower, especially at weeknight games. Last night's game was better attended than the average regular season game in terms of actual attendance.

yes right.  but is that also a bit problematic in that some substantial proportion of season ticket holders do not buy playoff tickets?

#490 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 09:23 AM

yes right.  but is that also a bit problematic in that some substantial proportion of season ticket holders do not buy playoff tickets?

I think there is some of that. Especially in the Club seats for example. People renew their season tickets, because they don't want to lose their seats, even if they know they are going to miss some games (or an entire season in a few cases). But if you know you are going to be out of town during the playoffs, there is no reason to pay for the seats.

The other thing that works against the playoffs (for all teams) is just the emerging schedule. I have the entire season of hockey games in my calendar from September. So I don't buy a ticket to some discretionary music show that I could go either way on if I already have a game in my calendar for that night. But we don't know when the playoff games will be until shortly before they happen. So schedule conflicts are much more common.

And specific to Victoria, when the weather turns to premature summer like it did this last week and as it is known to do sporadically, and the evening gets longer with the DST change, it just seems less like hockey season, at least to me. I mean, if you support the Canucks you might have no idea that people even play hockey in April.

• Matt R. likes this

#491 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,861 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 09:27 AM

I mean, if you support the Canucks you might have no idea that people even play hockey in April.

:banana:

• Matt R. likes this

#492 unclespeedo

unclespeedo
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:19 AM

Despite the smaller crowds, the atmosphere has been great and I've been impressed with fan engagement.

#493 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:50 AM

I think that RG is going to have a tough time with box and king club renewals. Other than hockey, you can count on one hand the number of quality events that come to the arena anymore and it is rarely difficult to get a ticket anyways.

#494 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,861 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 11:12 AM

4854 at the game in kamloops last night.

#495 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 07:01 PM

The Victoria-Kamloops series is 2-2 (out of 7). Game 5 at the arena here on Saturday night.

#496 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 09:34 PM

Announced attendance of 5,856 tonight for game 5, which the Royals won 6-3 (taking a 3-2 advantage in the series).

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#497 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,861 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 06:03 AM

$175,000 extra in the bank!   bring a game 7 here for even more. 

#498 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,861 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 04:13 AM

VANCOUVER  2
VICTORIA  1  (OT)

Vancouver leads series 2-0

The Vancouver Giants put the Victoria Royals to the sword at the Langley Events Centre in their Western Hockey League second-round playoff series.

#499 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,861 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 11:18 AM

interesting that city of victoria is losing youth hockey players.

https://www.vicnews....ues-amalgamate/

#500 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 08 April 2019 - 11:39 AM

The team names are horribly antiquated so guaranteed that they'll choose some bland, inoffensive moniker and logo.  Here are some for your consideration, in no particular order:

• Victoria Capitals
  • Victoria Rain
  • Victoria Sky Puppies (no less nonsensical than Victoria Harbour Cats)
  • Victoria NIMBYs
  • Victoria Fatscrapers
  • Vibrant Victoria
  • Vision Victoria
  • Victoria Treaty Rippers
  • Lekwungen Settlers
  • Camosack Raiders
  • Victoria Amor de...aw hell no!
  • Victoria Snowflakes

• Mike K., jonny, RoadRunner and 1 other like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users