Victoria Royals | WHL hockey team

• Please log in to reply
582 replies to this topic

#501 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,980 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:50 AM

4622 announced tonight. below their season average.

#502 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:06 AM

More than 90% of tickets in the family zone (section 104) still available for Thursday night's game. 

As I said earlier, I think that the Royals are in tough next year. Victoria will support a winning team but with new options for sports entertainment I can see a lot of empty seats next year if performance is weak.

#503 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:21 AM

The Royals have made the playoffs every year since moving to Victoria.

This year was supposed to be a rebuilding year after going all in for the playoff run last year. The team performed far above expectations, but were still a "seller" at the trade deadline. Yet they made it to the second round of the playoffs while missing two of their 20-year-olds and their top scorer all to injuries. I don't think there is any particular reason to think that they will be a losing team next year.

/although, there is the small matter of goaltending...

#504 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:56 AM

As I said earlier, I think that the Royals are in tough next year. Victoria will support a winning team but with new options for sports entertainment I can see a lot of empty seats next year if performance is weak.

The new options are not in the same season as the Royals though. Really the only competition the Royals have is UVic or Camosun fall/winter sports, or the other local junior hockey teams. Aside from a few years above 5,000 average attendance, the Royals have been steady at around 4,800 most of their existence and I would expect that to stay the same going forward.

The Royals were not a good team this season and people still showed up. Their top scorer finished with fewer than 50 points, and their overall record was their second worst ever (only their inaugural season was a worse record). All that considered, the fact they averaged the 8th best attendance in the league shows more that people in Victoria are happy to support the team whether or not they have a bunch of NHL draft picks or other exciting players on the team.

#505 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:02 AM

And probably way higher than their Tuesday night average. 

#506 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:10 AM

Quick table for you all from data pulled off the Royals website (because data rather than conjecture is always nice). 

Royals.png

Clearly there's a reason they strive for so many Friday/Saturday games in minor hockey, that much should be self evident to even the most casual of observers. Fans are way more willing to show up and open their wallets on the weekends rather than mid-week. Out of 34 home games, 22 are on Fri/Sat.

4,622 fans in attendance last night is still 32% higher than their average Tuesday night attendance (in what has been noted is supposed to be a rebuilding year against an opponent everybody expects will cream Victoria). 

• Greg, thundergun and shoeflack like this

#507 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 11:35 AM

4,622 fans in attendance last night is still 32% higher than their average Tuesday night attendance (in what has been noted is supposed to be a rebuilding year against an opponent everybody expects will cream Victoria). 

And while play-off hockey is exciting and should be a draw, the date for last night's game was only known a matter of days in advance. Those other Tuesday night games were known months in advance.

#508 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 11:39 AM

And while play-off hockey is exciting and should be a draw, the date for last night's game was only known a matter of days in advance. Those other Tuesday night games were known months in advance.

True but the majority of people who go to any event in Victoria have lots of free time on their hands :-)

#509 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:14 PM

The team names are horribly antiquated so guaranteed that they'll choose some bland, inoffensive moniker and logo.  Here are some for your consideration, in no particular order:

• Victoria Capitals
  • Victoria Rain

Here are some more:

• Victoria Storm
  • Victoria Namastes
  • Victoria Patriarchy Smashers
  • Victoria Little Vancouvers

#510 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:28 PM

• Vancouver Island Islanders

• Matt R. and Bob Fugger like this

#511 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:28 AM

May have been the case but even last night's game was very sparsely attended. Most of the top 10 rows in each of the end and side sections were empty. 'Scalpers' were in front of the arena trying to sell tickets for $10 and there were few takers.

#512 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:26 PM

May have been the case but even last night's game was very sparsely attended. Most of the top 10 rows in each of the end and side sections were empty. 'Scalpers' were in front of the arena trying to sell tickets for $10 and there were few takers.

It was 4,500+ which is well above the weeknight average. Plus it was pretty clear after Tuesday that the Royals were done for this year!

#513 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,980 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:31 PM

the 2nd round of playoffs should be sold out. period.
  • RFS likes this

#514 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:45 PM

It was 4,500+ which is well above the weeknight average. Plus it was pretty clear after Tuesday that the Royals were done for this year!

I think the only reason it was above 4,500+ was because they count all of the box seats and season tickets holders whether they show up or not.

#515 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:03 PM

I think the only reason it was above 4,500+ was because they count all of the box seats and season tickets holders whether they show up or not.

Nope. Season ticket holders have to buy playoff tickets separately. So if you bought the playoff package and didn't show up you were counted, for sure, but not all the regular season ticket holders. Some people renew season tickets even when they will miss some/many games, so as to not lose our seats, but there is no such incentive playoff tickets, so people only buy them if they plan on going. In other words, during the playoffs the attendance numbers are actually far less inflated than during the regular season.

The Royals finished the season 8th our of 22 WHL teams in attendance, and the playoffs attendance was slightly higher than season average for most nights. I don't think there is a real problem here to be honest.

#516 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,980 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:10 PM

it is the only team in the whl with a playoff attendance in the 2nd round less than their season average. last out of 8 teams.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 April 2019 - 02:19 PM.

#517 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:24 PM

it is the only team in the whl with a playoff attendance in the 2nd round less than their season average. last out of 8 teams.

With such strong opinions on the matter, I would hope you were at both round 2 games then, right?

#518 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,980 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:32 PM

With such strong opinions on the matter, I would hope you were at both round 2 games then, right?

i like to go when the team has fun promotions. or any promotions. they had none for their playoff games - except higher priced tickets than the regular season . so I stayed home. most fans agreed with me.

#519 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:02 PM

I am not trying to be down on the team, I was just stating what I saw and what people have been telling me who own seasons tickets and boxes. 

If RG sells out every event next year then I would be very happy for them.

#520 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 05:24 PM

They had a Tuesday game and Thursday game as their only home games in the second round. And both games had above average attendance for weeknight games. Those are the actual facts. I mean, I don't really care if you are down on the team for whatever reason, I just can't stand to see data misconstrued.  :)

Edited by Greg, 12 April 2019 - 05:24 PM.

• thundergun and shoeflack like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users