Photo

Big Wheel Burger | Victoria: 341 Cook St and West Side Village | Saanich: Gateway Village

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

#201 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:49 PM

I was hopeful they would go into where Bong City or whatever it was called went into in Quadra Village... Oh well.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#202 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

That'll be popular I'm sure! We've got quite the selection of burger places in the downtown core. Highest per-capita in the country, perhaps?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#203 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:33 PM

Big Wheel Burger expanding into Saanich; Esquimalt and Langford to follow

http://victoria.citi...ford-to-follow/

Victoria's homegrown retro-themed Big Wheel Burger eatery is in expansion mode with the announcement that a second location will soon open at Saanich's Gateway Village near Uptown Shopping Centre.

The popular Cook Street Village burger restaurant opened in 2011 at Cook and McKenzie streets to much fanfare over its locally sourced, fresh ingredients and 1960's-era "stick man" theme. And as sales began to outpace capacity at the 35-seat Cook Street Village location, an expansion, says co-owner Calen McNeil, became essential.

"We're in the fortunate position where we need to offload some of the business at Cook Street Village where we're on a twenty percent growth trend right now, so unless we expand we'll literally buckle at the seams," McNeil said. [Full article]

• GaryRanson likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#204 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:26 PM

Good for them, I guess there's a big market for over-cooked plain burgers and mournful fries.

• Dr. Barillas likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#205 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:55 PM

Calling it a "big market" might be overstating it but McDonald's has had moderate success over the years.

I'm still not convinced that Starbucks will ever catch on. Are people really going to pay $4 for a cup of coffee? Time will tell.

Don't get me started on that newfangled Tom Horton's from down east.

#206 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 03:03 PM

Calling it a "big market" might be overstating it but McDonald's has had moderate success over the years.

I'm still not convinced that Starbucks will ever catch on. Are people really going to pay $4 for a cup of coffee? Time will tell.

Don't get me started on that newfangled Tom Horton's from down east.

I'm not a fan of their coffee, but Sbux "coffee" is not $4.  It's about 2.50. You only get to $4 if you want a latte, and every other place that does a real latte charges that too.  Mochas and other fancy stuff goes for even more.  There's no comparison of a Timmy's latte or mocha to one made at a real coffee shop like Good Earth, Cafe 932 or 2 dozen other places in town.

#207 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 03:06 PM

Starbucks is generally cheaper than your local boutique coffee shops. 

Big Wheel is expensive for a mediocre hamburger. Kind of a fun place, though.

#208 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 03:14 PM

I'm not a fan of their coffee, but Sbux "coffee" is not $4.  It's about 2.50. You only get to $4 if you want a latte, and every other place that does a real latte charges that too.

Thanks for the info. I should give them a try.

• Rob Randall likes this

#209 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:55 PM

I love big wheel, prefer their burgers to bin4 to be honest.
  • rjag, tedward and GaryRanson like this

#210 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:57 PM

What gets me every time are the chili cheese fries. Hot damn.

Know it all.

#211 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:31 PM

I'm not a fan of their coffee, but Sbux "coffee" is not $4.  It's about 2.50. You only get to $4 if you want a latte, and every other place that does a real latte charges that too.  Mochas and other fancy stuff goes for even more.  There's no comparison of a Timmy's latte or mocha to one made at a real coffee shop like Good Earth, Cafe 932 or 2 dozen other places in town.

2% Jazz or Discovery Coffee for me.

#212 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:28 AM

Great burgers and shakes! Nearly as good as Tartan Toque.
  • weirdie likes this

#213 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:01 AM

I'm looking forward to trying it, and since I was impressed by how they acted during the whole bike/CSV drama recently, I'm actually willing to spend my money there.

#214 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:27 PM

I tried them a couple of times when I lived near CSV and enjoyed their food on both occasions, and I concur both the food and atmosphere is infinitely superior to Bin4......

#215 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 March 2016 - 12:48 PM

I really like Big Wheel. They're definitely winning the traditional/greasy/unhealthy burger category. Pink Bike is my go to for a fancier burger, even though they're not fancy priced.

Bin 4 is good but definitely a tier below these two in my opinion.

• GaryRanson likes this

#216 Layne French

Layne French
  • 355 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:47 PM

I really like Big Wheel. They're definitely winning the traditional/greasy/unhealthy burger category. Pink Bike is my go to for a fancier burger, even though they're not fancy priced.

Bin 4 is good but definitely a tier below these two in my opinion.

The fact that you have tiers such as this is something that most cities in Canada envy.. Heck most places have tiers such as fat burger and then the A&W crowd in the other tier.

• thundergun likes this

#217 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:55 PM

Absolutely. Good point.

Know it all.

#218 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:48 PM

The Saanich Gateway location of Big Wheel is underway. It is expected to open later this summer.

Big-Wheel-Burger-Saanich-July-5-2016.jpg

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#219 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 03:00 PM

Tried this place last week. Lamest burger I've had since Western Speedway, totally disappointed.

• weirdie likes this

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#220 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 03:48 PM

The Saanich Gateway location of Big Wheel is underway. It is expected to open later this summer.

Does anyone ever go to that mall?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users