Photo

BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9626 replies to this topic

#6181 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:24 PM

I'm not sure how to post images properly but according to the tracker there's currently a 75 going up May so I guess this system isn't without its flaws. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#6182 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:32 PM

Like May Street down in Fairfield?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6183 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:35 PM

Like May Street down in Fairfield?

yup, now it's on Foul Bay just passed Oak Bay so the have a 3 labeled as a 75

#6184 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:42 PM

...now it's on Foul Bay just passed Oak Bay so the have a 3 labeled as a 75

Either that or someone took a wrong turn at Albuquerque.  ;)

#6185 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:10 AM

Service seems to be down. Just went to check if the bus coming happens to be tracked so I can test that aspect and the site just gives a "coming soon" message

#6186 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:30 AM

Oops, lol. Looks like they forgot the public has had access to the test environment ever since they began testing systems elsewhere in the province. VV strikes again ;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6187 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:48 AM

I've noticed them installed on a few buses since I think August but they haven't been on (as far as I've seen) until now so that is new. Do you know if it gave any extra information? Like say "Douglas at Finlayson - Mayfair Mall" or just the stop name?

It gave intersection information.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#6188 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:54 PM

Either that or someone took a wrong turn at Albuquerque.  ;)

Or Cucamonga!  :banana:

• Nparker likes this

#6189 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,040 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:11 PM

bad bus crash in Ottawa today. 3 dead.

#6190 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:46 AM

Why are the 4s scheduled so poorly this year? Almost constantly I'm in a standard bus that's doing the full route and already pretty full by TC and then by the time we're at the mall there's an almost empty doubledecker that I assume started at TC. Why not have the DDs do the full routes and the standards start at TC or schedule them so the one starting at TC is 3 mins earlier than the one from the start.

There's also a few places with 10 minute gaps then 3 come within 8 minutes (nit delayed or anything that's actually how the schedule has it). Mix in with the 9 and Hillside gets really crowded with just buses.

#6191 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:05 AM

- Automatic bus stop announcements and displays a step forward in plan to enhance technology within the Victoria Regional Transit System -

VICTORIA – Transit riders within the Victoria Regional Transit System may start to notice improvements to how vehicle location information is being announced along their route. Buses in the Victoria fleet are currently being equipped with on-board enhancements that will allow customers to see and hear upcoming bus stop information upon approach. This will replace the existing announcement system in the Victoria fleet.

It’s all part of BC Transit’s broader strategy to develop and install technology initiatives that will improve efficiency and enrich our customers’ overall experiences. The on-board announcements will be both visually scrolled at the front of the bus and announced audibly by recording, providing a benefit to those who are sight or hearing impaired.

Coming in 2019 to the Victoria fleet is NextRide Automatic Vehicle Location (AVL) technology, which provides customers with real-time data on the location of their bus and its predicted arrival time at a stop. NextRide operates off of a responsive website, enabling passengers to plan their trips from an internet connected mobile device or desktop. Stay tuned for more details and an official launch date!

NextRide technology was first launched in the Regional District of Nanaimo in May of 2018, followed by the Comox Valley Regional District, Whistler, Squamish, Kamloops and Kelowna.

Strategic Mapping, Inc. has been contracted to install and monitor the technology. Funding for this project is coming from the Public Transit Infrastructure Fund (PTIF), which was announced in June 2016 by the federal and provincial governments.

Know it all.

#6192 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:42 AM

It gave intersection information.

It seems they updated this as the 30 I was on had it and was giving key locations "Carey at Ravine - Uptown Shopping Center" "Douglas at Finlayson - Mayfair Mall" and "Douglas at Hillside - Gorge and Government" were the 3 I heard/saw.

The "30 Downtown" thing isn't as annoying as I thought it would be but it should play after the doors open not as they do. I just heard "own" when getting on.
  • tedward likes this

#6193 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:02 PM

Does anyone know what happened to the Burnside/Tillicum and Jubilee local transit plans? They were both supposed to be completed in Fall 2018 according to the graph but I haven't heard anything about either (I think adding the 9 was part of the Burnside/Tillicum one but that was only one of the things). They even started the Cardova Bay, Esquimalt and Sooke ones after these two. 

#6194 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,291 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:35 AM

Westshore-Park-and-Ride-options-2019.jpg

Exclusive: Westshore transit improvement plans yield 12 park-and-ride options for commuters

https://victoria.cit...-for-commuters/

Know it all.

#6195 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:47 AM

^^I assume all the dots aren't actually the same colour and that's just me. Could someone give a summary of which numbers are near term and which are long term?

#6196 kenmuir

kenmuir
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:58 AM

^^I assume all the dots aren't actually the same colour and that's just me. Could someone give a summary of which numbers are near term and which are long term?

Dots 1-5 south of Sooke rd are distant future, the dots north of Sooke rd and #6 are possibly-future.

• Mike K. and Mattjvd like this

#6197 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 11:19 AM

^^I assume all the dots aren't actually the same colour and that's just me. 

Neat

#6198 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:25 PM

The new callout system of saying "4 Downtown" every time the front door opens is a little annoying but I was sitting on a 16 at UVic that had the door open and despite it never opening and closing it would keep repeating "16 Uptown McKenzie express" which got quite annoying

#6199 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:29 PM

Holy smokes, never would have thought to consider that.

Matt, are you colour blind or could this be an issue of an improperly calibrated screen?
  • Mattjvd likes this

Know it all.

#6200 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:42 PM

The new callout system of saying "4 Downtown" every time the front door opens is a little annoying but I was sitting on a 16 at UVic that had the door open and despite it never opening and closing it would keep repeating "16 Uptown McKenzie express" which got quite annoying

The technology isn't implemented correctly. The idea is that this is only broadcast over the loudspeaker over the front door, for anyone to hear that's at the bus stop. If you've taken Translink you'll hear how this sounds.

Is it possible that our busses in Victoria don't have these speakers, so it has to be broadcast throughout the whole bus?

Maybe something that will be fixed as new busses get added to the fleet and they can be ordered with that option.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)