BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9638 replies to this topic

#6301 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,501 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 01:18 PM

that’s quite a bit quicker. at least outbound to esquimalt at rush hour.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 March 2019 - 01:19 PM.

#6302 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,764 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 01:50 PM

Would that the case while the bridge is being repaired?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6303 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,501 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 01:54 PM

that’s part of the reason yes.

#6304 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 02:16 PM

They replied

4 Downtown will turn left onto Burdett and service a stop at Burdett and Douglas before laying over on Fairfield at Blanshard.

4 UVic will now service the stop northbound Douglas at Humboldt.

So essentially how the 27/28 work. I always thought it was weird how the 4 (and previously 21) were on the opposite side. Still weird everything doesn't just go to Legislature. There is room for 3 more routes down there. 

#6305 Dinya

Dinya
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 03:51 PM

I was on a 28 a couple weeks ago that was advertising the Next Stop software with instructions on how to set it up on your phone. I didn’t get a chance to do so, and now I can’t find those instructions anywhere. Not even on the Victoria Transit website.

Anybody know where to find them?

#6306 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 04:25 PM

Here you go.

https://youtu.be/ZLL1pF1ho4M
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#6307 Dinya

Dinya
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 12:53 PM

Either I'm incredibly stupid, or it's not ready to be set-up yet despite the advertising, but I can't find the "Next Ride" button on BCTransit.com.

Wish they would hurry up with this already.  Maybe they are waiting until all buses have the "Next Stop" sign and announcements installed?  This is so much better than every street, road, lane and PLC being called out along the route.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#6308 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:13 PM

Either I'm incredibly stupid, or it's not ready to be set-up yet despite the advertising, but I can't find the "Next Ride" button on BCTransit.com.

Wish they would hurry up with this already.  Maybe they are waiting until all buses have the "Next Stop" sign and announcements installed?  This is so much better than every street, road, lane and PLC being called out along the route.

yeah it's not up yet. The FAQ says Spring (https://www.bctransi...y/faq-next-ride) The website will be https://nextride.vic...m/Home/Desktop# (same URL as all the other locations, except replace the city name). It was up a while ago with like 5 buses at a time but I guess they realized people were using it and took it down. I assume once all the buses have the "next stop" thing it will launch.

#6309 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:54 PM

who wants to associate the further delay with this roll out with our website crash in February? That Victoria Transit flipped a switch to test and servers couldn't handle all the information?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#6310 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 02:22 PM

who wants to associate the further delay with this roll out with our website crash in February? That Victoria Transit flipped a switch to test and servers couldn't handle all the information?

I don't think so. The "next stop" signs are part of Nextride and not all the buses have them yet (I've only been on a double decker with it twice and it might have been the same one, was just on my first non-nova single deck with it today) so unless they stopped installing those for a bit when that crash happened I don't think the two are related. 

#6311 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,764 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 02:41 PM

Was it a crash or did they rejig the URL to keep folks from looking in?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6312 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 03:08 PM

I think by site crash they mean when https://www.bctransit.com was down during those snow days we had not the tracker site

• sdwright.vic likes this

#6313 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,764 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 03:09 PM

Oh I see. Yeah that tracker was removed long before then.

Know it all.

#6314 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,501 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 04:17 AM

is transit still using the “temporary” transfer system they brought in a few years ago?

#6315 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 29 March 2019 - 07:20 AM

You mean transfers from bus to bus?  They ditched transfers altogether - it's $2.50 per segment (any distance on the same bus) or $5.00 for an all-day pass (e.g. unlimited transfers) sold by the bus driver.  It's a piece of paper, the same as the old transfers.

Was that supposed to be temporary?  I'm just waiting for the NFC tap (not really, I ride the bus very rarely).

#6316 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,501 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 07:39 AM

oh ya.

#6317 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 07:45 AM

You mean transfers from bus to bus? They ditched transfers altogether - it's $2.50 per segment (any distance on the same bus) or $5.00 for an all-day pass (e.g. unlimited transfers) sold by the bus driver. It's a piece of paper, the same as the old transfers.

Was that supposed to be temporary? I'm just waiting for the NFC tap (not really, I ride the bus very rarely).

Friends from Vancouver who come here and need to use the bus say it's like going back in time. Having to go out and buy tickets or scrounge for change
  • Nparker likes this

#6318 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 29 March 2019 - 08:02 AM

Yeah, it was almost four years ago that Translink introduced the Compass card.

#6319 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,994 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 08:04 AM

Yeah, it was almost four years ago that Translink introduced the Compass card.

But Victoria/the CRD prides itself on not being like Vancouver.

#6320 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 29 March 2019 - 08:13 AM

But Victoria/the CRD prides itself on not being like Vancouver.

Non sequitur.

The observation is that it's like travelling a bit less than four years into the past.  Not exactly Old Timey just yet.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users