BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9626 replies to this topic

#7201 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,048 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:55 PM

B.C. Transit cancelled a handful of bus trips Thursday afternoon because of a shortage of buses.

https://www.timescol...noon-1.24006170

#7202 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 07:55 PM

Are you sure those are cancelled and not just late? A couple weeks ago I was waiting for a 31 at Uptown around 7:30ish and by the time it got there the 30 was almost supposed to have arrived which according to NextRide had barely started. According to the schedule that was about 10 mins late (31 should have been 7:26 and 30 7:39) so if you're waiting for a 50 one being that late would look like a trip was cancelled. I have no idea why they were so late or if that's a regular thing though.

In my experience late buses do not show up on Nexride. The system seems to nix them from view.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7203 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 November 2019 - 02:10 AM

what would people think about the city and/or transit installing heated bus covers at fort and douglas both for buses leaving northbound on douglas and eastbound on fort?  i think it would be nice and probably only needed 30-45 days per year.

Really bad idea.

Putting a heater outside - can't think of a more direct way to contribute to global warming than that.

#7204 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 07:41 PM

how are those free youth passes coming along?  only 10 business days left to distribute up to 7200 of them.  the announcement was made almost 2 weeks ago.  even at 720 passes a day that's going to require some significant manpower if the eligibility test is going to be at all robust (which i suspect it won't be).

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 November 2019 - 07:49 PM.

#7205 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:12 AM

Today's announced cancellations:

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.  The following trips will potentially not operate on Monday November 18 due to bus availability:

27 Gordon Head leaving Shelbourne and McKenzie at 7:47a.m.
27 Gordon Head leaving Shelbourne at McKenzie at 7:58 a.m.

27 Downtown  leaving Tyndall and Grandview at 8:00 a.m.
27 Downtown  leaving Tyndall at Grandview at 8:11 a.m.

15 UVIC  leaving Dockyard at 8:01 a.m.

16 UVIC  leaving Carey at Ravine at 8:03 a.m.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7206 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:13 AM

Several B.C. Transit bus trips ‘potentially’ cancelled this morning

https://www.timescol...ning-1.24006170

is this some type of softening up of the pr language by saying potentially?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 November 2019 - 09:13 AM.

#7207 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:20 AM

We're less than two weeks away (nine business days, not including today) from the start of December and the City of Victoria has not outlined the process for supplying transit passes to youth.

The City's web page on transit passes says stay tuned.

Know it all.

#7208 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:33 AM

how are those free youth passes coming along?  only 10 business days left to distribute up to 7200 of them.  the announcement was made almost 2 weeks ago.  even at 720 passes a day that's going to require some significant manpower if the eligibility test is going to be at all robust (which i suspect it won't be).

i could swear i said that last night.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 November 2019 - 09:33 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#7209 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:59 AM

Several B.C. Transit bus trips ‘potentially’ cancelled this morning

https://www.timescol...ning-1.24006170

is this some type of softening up of the pr language by saying potentially?

3 of the tips (the 16 although late and 2 of the 27 trips) did end up running (although a 14 got cancelled I guess after Mike posted) https://www.bctransi...d=1529706349713

so maybe these were driver shortage rather than bus shortage and managed to find some people willing to do overtime? 

#7210 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:32 AM

So potentially (an official BC transit term), the CoV could add an additional 7200 passengers - via the "free" youth bus pass program - to the system daily (I realize that a certain percentage of this number already use the transit system). Cancellations are occuring on a regular basis. How can the system possibly handle an influx of thousands of more users with no additional hardware on the roads?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#7211 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:57 AM

I had some time this morning and looked through the Nov 5 commissions meeting documents. Points of note:

75 won't go through Brentwood heading north due to safety concerns, increase in service will be looked at in Spring 2020 when the Peninsula local area planning is slated to start (https://www.bctransi...s/1529706253846)

Select trips for 1, 13, 43 and 64 will be cancelled in January due to an average of 2 (or less) passengers per trip, additional 22 morning trip to serve Colquitz Middle school. That's it for service changes in January.

Report on the Burnside/Tillicum and Jubilee local area will be shown during the February meeting and Phase 2 of the Sooke, Esquimalt/View Royal, Broadmead/Cardova Bay local area plans will begin early 2020. 

Westshore is getting another one

Reviewing ridership data to better allocate doubledeckers

New stop on Benvenuto just outside Butchart Gardens for Tod Inlet service (scheduled for completion mid Nov)

routes travelling down Yates crossing Douglas (14, 15, 24, 25) will now stay on Yates instead of turning onto Government then Pandora

Various stop improvements discuss with City of Victoria and City of Langford

(https://www.bctransi...s/1529706253735)

14 permanently using the current routing (rather than using Bay and Douglas) 

In Fall 2020 they plan on allocating Double deckers "more exclusively" to "rapid transit" routes (15, 16, 50, 70 so I guess no more or reduced DDs on 4, 14, 26, 72, 61 and 65?)

and add more commuter trips between Westshore and Downtown and increase service hours on frequent transit routes (4, 6, 11, 14, 26, 27, 28, 30, 31)

(https://www.bctransi...s/1529706253807)

#7212 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 02:05 PM

We're less than two weeks away (nine business days, not including today) from the start of December and the City of Victoria has not outlined the process for supplying transit passes to youth.

The City's web page on transit passes says stay tuned.

they better hurry up, especially for those who want to sell the passes before the start of the next month

#7213 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 02:36 PM

they better hurry up, especially for those who want to sell the passes before the start of the next month

buyers and sellers still advertising.

if they are wise (no guarantees) they will fan out the distribution points to the rec and community centres.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 November 2019 - 02:38 PM.

#7214 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:00 PM

buyers and sellers still advertising.

if they are wise (no guarantees) they will fan out the distribution points to the rec and community centres.  

i still think they should connect with the schools each kid that is able to have one would get one handed out to them in an envelope.. would it be too complex for a teacher to hand them out? it would mean all the kids able to get them would get them... yes there are some kids who would not get them (the have nots) but the reality is the kids who would get these passes are now in middle school/high school this isn't elementary school...

#7215 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:03 PM

Thanks for that summary Cats4Hire!

The routing of 14/15/24/25 along Pandora has been a frustration for some time. Much prefer continuing down Yates. Lower Pandora has no space for buses anymore, maybe this means they'll remove the contentious stop that was causing so much trouble for visually impaired folks to reach (thanks bike lanes...)

• Cats4Hire likes this

~ Jasmine ~

#7216 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:17 PM

i still think they should connect with the schools each kid that is able to have one would get one handed out to them in an envelope.. would it be too complex for a teacher to hand them out? it would mean all the kids able to get them would get them... yes there are some kids who would not get them (the have nots) but the reality is the kids who would get these passes are now in middle school/high school this isn't elementary school...

victoria kids probably attend 25+ schools.  i think and i've said before that schools want nothing to do with this when it shines a light on "inequity".

• Nparker likes this

#7217 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:34 PM

victoria kids probably attend 25+ schools.  i think and i've said before that schools want nothing to do with this when it shines a light on "inequity".

schools often have the "have and have nots"  ones that offer special lunch programs where parents have to pay and order, even scholastic book orders point out the kids who regularly get books and those who do not, the kids that have the money to buy the cookies at the bake sale or the ticket to the dance and those that don't...now i would fully agree with it if it was a elementary school, because hey you can't even hand out birthday invites without causing drama, but at the middle school and high school level it's a different ball game, most kids who will be getting these passes will be in 7th grade or higher (with a few in 6th grade)

if it can't be done at the school level why not another active community place, one that offers better hours and is more accessible like the public library or the rec centers/community centers.. it's hard for many to get downtown during business hours that run from 8am-4:30pm especially if you work monday-friday, and if a student is planning to go down on their own after school it's a small window they have to make it to city hall after school and before they close

Edited by Midnightly, 18 November 2019 - 04:36 PM.

#7218 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:51 PM

if it can't be done at the school level why not another active community place, one that offers better hours and is more accessible like the public library or the rec centers/community centers.. it's hard for many to get downtown during business hours that run from 8am-4:30pm especially if you work monday-friday, and if a student is planning to go down on their own after school it's a small window they have to make it to city hall after school and before they close

that's probably in the plans.  

#7219 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 07:13 PM

It will be done at the school level starting next September.

The pickup requirement is a temporary measure.

#7220 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 12:57 PM

CoV now issuing bus passes. Website seems to indicate that all youths 18 and under will receive passes and not just 12-18 as earlier reported. 

https://www.victoria...on/transit.html

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users