BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9584 replies to this topic

#8101 Moderation

Moderation
  • Suspended User
  • 364 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 04:06 PM

Is there any point in time to make such a change? 

#8102 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 04:15 PM

So now public transit is only for smartphone users.  :confused:

if you relied exclusively on those to know when your bus would arrive you probably only went from major stop to major stop in which case you probably only need 10-15 minutes scheduled. Just as an example, I'm not 100% sure but I don't think there's any spot to even have the schedules anywhere along the 30/31 routes between Uptown and Royal Oak Mall except Glanford/Vanalman. That's about half their route (and the only part actually unique to them) that there is no difference and I'd be willing to bet most routes are probably the same. 

#8103 FogPub

FogPub
  • 980 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 December 2021 - 09:07 PM

I noticed at the two stops I was at today (Uvic and Uptown) the printed schedule was gone replaced with a "to see up to date schedules visit Nextride, BCTransit.com or the Transit app!" I guess this kinda makes sense. Probably not worth the effort driving all over the place replacing those for the few people who don't have a smartphone.

Or who have a smartphone but don't want everyone and their dog's apps on it.  When I use transit, which isn't often, I rely on those schedule signs at the stops; and most in-town stops have - or had - them.

• Nparker likes this

#8104 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 09:17 PM

Or who have a smartphone but don't want everyone and their dog's apps on it.  When I use transit, which isn't often, I rely on those schedule signs at the stops; and most in-town stops have - or had - them.

Do you have Google Maps? If not https://nextride.vic...ansit.com/Home/ works on your mobile browser

• Matt R. likes this

#8105 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,007 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 04:46 AM

Some systems have a “text for the next buses” system that only require a text enabled lesser phone.

#8106 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,007 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 05:02 PM

Problem:  Many bus trips are being cancelled

Solution:  Unpublish the bus times.  You can't miss a bus that isn't scheduled.

Removal of printed timetables from bus stops stems from driver shortage: B.C. Transit

B.C. Transit is apologizing to bus riders in Greater Victoria for removing printed schedules at stops, saying a driver shortage has made it difficult to judge bus arrival times.

This doesn't sound like something that will increase regular ridership by students and workers that have fixed schedules.

Printed schedules will return to bus stops in January, as soon as the new materials can be produced and installed, the company said.

In addition, the Rider’s Guide, printed for this fall, is still valid through to January. Transit said it has a limited amount available, and they were also distributed to libraries, recreation centres and malls throughout the region.

What's the point of the Riders Guide if times published there are unreliable?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 December 2021 - 05:07 PM.

#8107 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 05:23 PM

This doesn't sound like something that will increase regular ridership by students and workers that have fixed schedules.

Good thing students are done until January when they come back.  :banana:

What else would you suggest though? Keep them there and pretend the bus will arrive when they know it won't? I would be more annoyed by that since at least if I knew mine wasn't going to come I could take an earlier trip. If I don't find out until my bus just doesn't show up it's too late.

#8108 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 05:34 PM

There have been driving shortage issues, and mechanic shortage issues, for over a decade.

07 January, 2009, on this very forum:

Meanwhile, the driver shortage has left commuters in Victoria waiting twice as long as usual for buses when routes are missed because a driver isn't available.

"We get complaints all the time from livid customers. Buses get packed and passengers are cheek by jowl for 35 kilometres," said Mr. Jones.

- The Globe and Mail

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8109 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,007 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 05:42 PM

Good thing students are done until January when they come back. :banana:

What else would you suggest though? Keep them there and pretend the bus will arrive when they know it won't? I would be more annoyed by that since at least if I knew mine wasn't going to come I could take an earlier trip. If I don't find out until my bus just doesn't show up it's too late.

Permanently cut the most lightly used routes and trips until such time as you have the situation under better control.

Run extra unpublished runs on the 6 and 50 with your spare drivers ready to step into other routes.

#8110 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 06:04 PM

Run extra unpublished runs on the 6 and 50 with your spare drivers ready to step into other routes.

They were doing exactly that with 4, 14, 15, 26 over the school year. We still had trip cancellations though so I'm not sure if it was helping. For whatever reason it did get a lot worse basically after Remembrance Day (prior to that it was like 2 or 3 trip cancellations but after it was growing and growing to the point I think almost every route had at least one cancellation one day a week or two ago)

#8111 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 07:18 AM

68 cancelled trips listed today (including some on the 6 and 50). That would take a lot of less ridden trips and extra 6 and 50 trips being removed to counter 

#8112 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,007 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 07:22 AM

Permanently cut the most lightly used routes and trips until such time as you have the situation under better control.

Put managers onto buses driving.  If they do not have the training/certification, train them.

I know, the union won't allow it.

What a busted system.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 December 2021 - 07:23 AM.

#8113 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 10:43 AM

...a busted system...

:1954_dancing:

#8114 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,007 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 10:50 AM

Parts of this make no sense:

BC Transit says it made the decision after realizing a driver shortage meant it would, at times, need to adjust schedules on short notice.

“This means any printed materials would not provide the most accurate, up-to-date information,” the company’s statement reads.

It says it’s working to hire more drivers and transit operators and will return printed schedules to bus stops in January.

For the remainder of December, BC Transit says its fall Riders Guide remains accurate, of which limited quantities can be found at libraries, recreation centres and malls throughout the region. Riders can also request a printed copy or check schedules over the phone by calling 250-382-6161.

https://www.vicnews....victoria-stops/

How can "any printed materials would not provide the most accurate, up-to-date information" and also "its fall Riders Guide remains accurate" both be true at the same time? 

Today, for example 68 routes printed in the Riders Guide did not go.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 December 2021 - 10:52 AM.

#8115 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 11:03 AM

...How can "any printed materials would not provide the most accurate, up-to-date information" and also "its fall Riders Guide remains accurate" both be true at the same time? ..

Welcome to BC Transit's version of Newspeak.

By 2050—earlier, probably—all real knowledge of Oldspeak will have disappeared. The whole literature of the past will have been destroyed. Chaucer, Shakespeare, Milton, Byron—they'll exist only in Newspeak versions, not merely changed into something different, but actually contradictory of what they used to be. Even the literature of The Party will change. Even the slogans will change. How could you have a slogan like Freedom is Slavery when the concept of freedom has been abolished? The whole climate of thought will be different. In fact, there will be no thought, as we understand it now. Orthodoxy means not thinking—not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness

#8116 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,007 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 11:11 AM

I'm not even sure if I mind that BCT said it, it's more sad the TC and VicNews just going along with it and printing it.  

TC says it slightly differently but it's still wrong.  It should say:

In addition, the Rider’s Guide, printed for this fall, is still valid through to January, although some trips listed will likely not be running. 

“Since taking down the schedules [Nov. 29], we’ve heard from customers negatively impacted by the decision and those who are concerned it’s discriminatory,” B.C. Transit said. “We appreciate the feedback and can assure riders the intention was never to discriminate. However, the organization recognizes that this decision has caused additional barriers for some of our customers, and for that B.C. Transit apologizes.”

Printed schedules will return to bus stops in January, as soon as the new materials can be produced and installed, the company said.

In addition, the Rider’s Guide, printed for this fall, is still valid through to January. Transit said it has a limited amount available, and they were also distributed to libraries, recreation centres and malls throughout the region.

Riders who want to plan their trip in advance or request a printed copy can contact a customer service agent at 250-382-6161.

https://www.timescol...transit-4836175

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 December 2021 - 11:14 AM.

#8117 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 11:14 PM

There have been driving shortage issues, and mechanic shortage issues, for over a decade.

07 January, 2009, on this very forum:

- The Globe and Mail

Way back when, my wife applied to be an operator. We’re talking over 20 years ago.

Didn’t work out, we really dodged a bullet there.

#8118 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 07:57 PM

BC Transit says riders should brace for scheduling issues over the next few days with snow and freezing rain in the forecast.

I’m not sure where the freezing rain forecast originates from but they mentioned it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8119 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,007 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 08:07 PM

Red alert!

#8120 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 09:05 PM

Surely you mean !!!!!! :eek: RED ALERT :eek: !!!!!!

I mean it's SNOW for goodness sake.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users