9626 replies to this topic

#8081 BCTransitLTC

BCTransitLTC
  • 28 posts
  • LocationLangford

Posted 18 November 2021 - 08:06 PM

Questions:

• Rapid bus to Westshore in the next 1-2 years
  • Immediate removal of some 50 stops along Goldstream and Jacklin to make it an express route until rapid bus is brought in. Stops will still be served by local routes
  • Chose if you would prefer 50 and Rapid Route to terminate at Westhills or Bellmont Market
  • short term goals
  • 43 proposed to serve Fort Rod Hill (no mention of service boost)
  • upgrades to 52 (more direct service, increase in service
  • introduces 44, peak service only, to replace some cut 52 service and serve other parts of Bear Mountain that currently have none
  • 54/55 more direct
  • combining 56/57 into 1 route, option on where it loops back
  • 59/60 will terminate at a new exchange in Royal Bay making them unique routes rather than the same route in different directions
  • 60 replaces 52's cut Royal Bay service
  • Question if 39 should keep current routing or be more direct (turn directly to Lanford Parkway from VMP instead of going to Goldstream and Jacklin
  • 3 proposed lines for 61 (would no longer be interlined with 50 and directly service downtown all day)
  • via Jacklin and Kelly, via VMP similarly to how 65 currently goes, via Jacklin and Goldstream)
  • Medium term goals
  • 52 becomes frequent service and even more direct, 45 new route to replace cut service
  • 46 extended service to Goldstream Meadows (seems to turn around at roundabout on Langford Parkway)
  • Retire 55 (basically same route as 54) to cut down duplication when 64 extension is brought in
  • Options for Bear Mountain terminus, City Gate by Costco or Millstream by Western Speedway
  • Some infrastructure stuff such as bus lanes between McKenzie and Six Mile and Sooke road between Royal Roads and Colwood Corners. Transit priority queue jumps at lights, the usual more shelters, more park and rides, etc

I put on a suggestion that Route 56 should go straight to Costco from Langford Exchange. Head down Dunford, Carlow, Goldstream, Leigh, McCallum like it does now; however the Route 56 should stop on the same side of the road as Costco. Route 57 can return through Florence Lake (complete the Thetis Heights loop, then head straight along Treanor towards Setchfield). 

Passengers along Florence Lake would have a much shorter travel time if they didn't have to wait for the bus to loop through Thetis Heights, then head along Millstream. Same for customers wanting to go to Costco, they don't want to have to wait for the bus to go through Thetis Heights, then go to Costco.  80% of customers seem to get confused and get off on Millstream and walk up the hill anyways. 

Now many of you may not agree; however I put in a suggestion that Route 61 should head straight along Sooke Road towards town. There is a stretch of Sooke Road with NO SERVICE during the day (Sooke at Jacklin up to Sooke and Goldstream, aside from a few places where the 52, 59, and 60 cut in). It would make a shorter commute for the Sooke residents, and service a portion of Langford/Colwood with no service at all during the day. For the few people on the Sooke bus that want to head into Langford, they can get off on Sooke Road somewhere and catch a 59, 60, 52, 39 to get to Langford. Furthermore; Route 61 should just terminate at Colwood Exchange, loop back around, and head back to Sooke. They could increase the service to 35-40 minutes. 

As for 54/55, a good majority of those passengers live on the start of the route, between Glen Lake and Sooke Road. Perhaps transit can make a seperate route that just goes along Glen Lake, Sooke Road, and back to the exchange? Call it the Route 49 for example. And surely they can do something to make the 54/55 less lengthy, more frequent. 

Another thought; Route 51 should run throughout the day, on an hourly basis (6am to 6pm, once an hour). There seems to be a demand for people to get off on McKenzie on the Route 50. Meanwhile you have Route 46, which runs empty during the day... why have that route going for 2-3 people, when there'd be more demend for the 51. 

I would hope in the next 5 years, BCT could get an Uptown Exchange built and have all the ferry runs and West Shore runs start and finish there. 50, 70, 72, 75 for example. Commuter trips like 32, 47, 48, 61, 53, etc can run from the Legislature but the runs that run all day can just go from Uptown to Swartz Bay/Langford. 

#8082 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 08:28 PM

Ooh, I dunno. I think the split between Sooke riders wanting to access downtown Langford vs. the number of people along Sooke Road between Jacklin and Goldstream puts the favour in 61 connecting with the Langford exchange. But there should be a regular route that does the entire Sooke Road stretch through Langford and Colwood, for sure. Is there really nothing there during the day (outside of the 61 running straight in the early AM)?

• BCTransitLTC likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8083 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 09:24 PM

Ooh, I dunno. I think the split between Sooke riders wanting to access downtown Langford vs. the number of people along Sooke Road between Jacklin and Goldstream puts the favour in 61 connecting with the Langford exchange. But there should be a regular route that does the entire Sooke Road stretch through Langford and Colwood, for sure. Is there really nothing there during the day (outside of the 61 running straight in the early AM)?

after 61 turns off at Jacklin you have 52 crossing Sooke at VMP, 54, 55, 59, 60 traveling up Sooke until Metchosin. Between Jacklin and VMP is fairly far though (there also isn't a 61 Langford stop near the Sooke/Jacklin intersection so residents in that area need to walk on Jacklin to the Sunridge Valley stop

#8084 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 08:34 AM

Right. It's not ideal, at all. Also, it doesn't help that the immediate density along that entire stretch is quite low. You rarely see people at the existing bus stops.

• BCTransitLTC likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8085 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,046 posts

Posted 20 November 2021 - 05:07 AM

Demand for gasoline continued to exceed supply in the capital region on Friday.

Erik Gault, head of operations for Peninsula Co-op, said the company had a good supply of gas at about noon Friday, but by about 3:30 p.m, eight of its 12 Victoria-area service stations were out.

Gault said Co-op was ready to comply with a new provincial rule limiting customers to 30 litres of fuel for personal vehicles per station visit, although technical changes to allow the company to control amounts might not come into effect until today or Sunday. “We’re on it with our software people.”

Gault doesn’t expect the problem of stations running out of gas to go away for up to 10 days, although he hopes things will quiet down on the weekend, when demand usually subsides, to give staff members a chance to catch their breath after a busy few days.

B.C. Transit said Friday it has enough fuel and buses to accommodate extra passengers whose vehicles have been curbed because of fuel shortages.

The provincial government is encouraging drivers to carpool and take transit as gas stations are pinched by drastically reduced fuel supply.

https://www.timescol...e-slack-4780000

Who comes up with this wizardry?  The soccer mom filling up her mini-van ain't taking transit this weekend.  She is instead today on social media figuring out who has gas, and plans to stop at 2 or 3 stations today to fill it up.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 November 2021 - 05:08 AM.

#8086 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 20 November 2021 - 07:18 AM

I assume they're talking about people who live in Gordon Head and are going to Hillside Mall to meet up with their friends or the Nellie McClung library to study and could just hop on the bus and probably get there far quicker than driving around town stopping at 3 or 4 stations, probably wasting 30+ litres doing said driving and waiting in lines, not the people who have to drive all over the city anyway.

#8087 BCTransitLTC

BCTransitLTC
  • 28 posts
  • LocationLangford

Posted 21 November 2021 - 02:14 PM

Right. It's not ideal, at all. Also, it doesn't help that the immediate density along that entire stretch is quite low. You rarely see people at the existing bus stops.

I lived on Sooke Road near Kildew as a teen (a block away from Metchosin Rd), and I remember seeing the Route 61 running all the time in front of my house. I think it's only been since 2009 when Langford Exchange was built that the 61 stopped going straight along Sooke Road to the Island Highway. 

• Mike K. likes this

#8088 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 05:29 PM

3: Hold on a sec, you only accept cash? There’s no electronic tap option? HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO USE MY BITCOIN? That’s correct, cash only. However, BC Transit will have some exciting news to share soon about future electronic fare system.

from the Director of Cooperate & Strategic planning in a thread helping people who decided to take the bus this week. Based on BC Transit's usual usage of "soon" this could be any point between tomorrow and 2025 https://twitter.com/...508644503670785

• Nparker likes this

#8089 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,755 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 07:26 PM

I may actual choose to take public transit if an e-payment system (for the casual rider) is introduced. I will never have a need to buy a pass.

#8090 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 11:48 AM

BC Transit is announcing reduced service on a number of routes to reflect the lower demand from post-secondary institutions in Victoria Regional Transit System at this time of year. These changes will go into effect on December 6, 2021 and regular service will resume on January 3, 2022.

This will affect the following routes:

· 4 UVic/Downtown
· 7 UVic/Downtown
· 14 UVic/Vic General
· 15 Esquimalt/UVic
· 21 Interurban/Downtown
· 26 Dockyard/UVic
· 39 Westhills/UVic

Service reductions in the month of December, where ridership is lower on these routes, allow BC Transit to provide additional service in times of increased ridership demand. BC Transit and the Victoria Regional Transit Commission work hard to match service with demand and continue to ensure reliable transportation services are available to our customers.

Riders are encouraged to use NextRide and the Transit app for real-time bus tracking and additional trip planning resources.

Know it all.

#8091 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,046 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 07:25 AM

Better transit would help on the Malahat

Every day I see multiple suggestions to bypassing the Malahat, including bridges to Brentwood and Salt Spring Island. The people who live in these regions and also North and Central Saanich live there for many reasons, and most love living in the quiet suburbs.

To suggest that the traffic be moved to these areas to support Victoria residents or commuters from other areas of Vancouver Island is absurd.

There was a suggestion for frequent transit buses with reasonable fares from Victoria to Nanaimo. This makes much more sense in the wake of climate change and would also make me consider travelling this mode to visit my daughter in Duncan. Wouldn’t it be delightful to just sit and enjoy the ride?

Also, with all the damage done by recent storms, our money would be better spent on repairing the dikes on the Lower Mainland, highways in the Interior and helping all the people whose homes were flooded or burned during this year’s weather.

Let’s get our priorities in line with the current and changing climate conditions. Yes, improvements need to be made to keep this corridor open, but we need to be reasonable in our expectations. Money doesn’t grow on trees.

Eileen Cannon
Victoria

https://www.timescol...g-crash-4812217

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 November 2021 - 07:32 AM.

#8092 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,046 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 07:27 AM

^ Given that BCT has cut Malahat service for no reason, why would anyone trust them with more frequent transit?

Given the construction on the Malahat as a result of the flooding, there are still just three bus round trips available for BC Transit commuters to and from the Cowichan Valley region, two from Duncan and one from Shawnigan Lake.

The route 66 Duncan commuter buses are now leaving Village Green Mall at 5:32 a.m. and 6:10 a.m., and will begin the return trip from Government and Superior in Victoria at 3:45 p.m. and 4:45 p.m.

The route 99 Shawnigan Lake commuter bus will continue with one return trip each weekday. The bus will leave Cobble Hill Station at 6:45 a.m., and will begin the return trip from Government and Superior at 4:40 p.m.

“All other regularly scheduled travel times for these routes have been cancelled, and the above travel times will remain in place until further notice,” said the news release issued by BC Transit spokesperson Lenore Kennedy. “Customers may experience delays and longer than expected travel times, due to the nature of travel and ongoing construction on the Malahat.”

https://www.vicnews....ip-to-victoria/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 November 2021 - 07:27 AM.

#8093 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 08:22 AM

^ Given that BCT has cut Malahat service for no reason, why would anyone trust them with more frequent transit?

The route 66 Duncan commuter buses are now leaving Village Green Mall at 5:32 a.m. and 6:10 a.m., and will begin the return trip from Government and Superior in Victoria at 3:45 p.m. and 4:45 p.m.

The route 99 Shawnigan Lake commuter bus will continue with one return trip each weekday. The bus will leave Cobble Hill Station at 6:45 a.m., and will begin the return trip from Government and Superior at 4:40 p.m.

https://www.vicnews....ip-to-victoria/

You'd think that they could at least align the times with some sort of 'normal' work hours?!  Even banks don't close at 345 pm these days!

• Nparker likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#8094 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 08:34 AM

That article seems late considering they were back to full service 5 days before it was posted https://twitter.com/...1405209952260. 

You'd think that they could at least align the times with some sort of 'normal' work hours?!  Even banks don't close at 345 pm these days!

I think the 3:45 one is for UVic students. I see it at Uptown sometimes (passes there a little after 4) and I wouldn't call it busy but it has a decent amount of people on it. The other trips are 4:10, 4:45 and 5:15 which I assume works better for most jobs.

• Mike K. likes this

#8095 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,046 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 09:32 AM

Now I don't know what to think.  The VicNews article even has a quote from the BCT person.

#8096 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 09:32 AM

Service was reduced when the road was closed after 6pm. The later busses wouldn't have made it.

#8097 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 09:48 AM

It looks like the article was behind schedule.

Know it all.

#8098 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,046 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 07:30 AM

B.C. Transit workforce 98% vaccinated

B.C. Transit said it is not ­disclosing specific information on numbers of employees placed on leave in order to respect the privacy of those involved. The organization also isn’t ­providing a specific breakdown of its ­operating companies in order to protect their employees’ ­privacy.

https://www.timescol...cinated-4825440

#8099 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 02:50 PM

I noticed at the two stops I was at today (Uvic and Uptown) the printed schedule was gone replaced with a "to see up to date schedules visit Nextride, BCTransit.com or the Transit app!" I guess this kinda makes sense. Probably not worth the effort driving all over the place replacing those for the few people who don't have a smartphone. 

As a side note, I'm actually surprised how many regular transit users don't seem to know about Nextride. They advertised is pretty heavily on the buses and they still have ads on some of them. I guess it isn't too surprising considering how through this entire semester the bus calling "26 to Uptown Only, Carey and Ravine" every time the door opened always seemed to have someone think the driver made the wrong turn when they turned onto the highway to get to Carey and Ravine. 

#8100 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,755 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 02:54 PM

...Probably not worth the effort driving all over the place replacing those for the few people who don't have a smartphone. ..

So now public transit is only for smartphone users.  :confused:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)