BUILT
Douglas House
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 1515 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
Douglas House is a six-storey, 111,428 square foot office complex with ground floor retail space at the inters... (view full profile)
Learn more about Douglas House on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 1515 Douglas and 750 Pandora | Office; commercial | 6- & 13-storeys (53.6m & 27.4m) | Completed - Built in 2018 and 2017

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1271 replies to this topic

#1261 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 1,558 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 December 2018 - 04:25 PM

I just don't like evergreen trees in the city like that. They aren't good for offering useful shade, and their basic form just looks awkward and out of place to my eye. I especially don't like it when their boughs are sticking out. It just looks unkempt and comes across as a contrived effort to seem rustic or whatever. In a park, fine. But not in confined spaces right in the city. And (as always) I'm left wondering why it couldn't have been oak or arbutus, etc.

Is it a permanent tree or is it a Christmas generic non-religious holiday tree?

#1262 aastra

aastra
  • 13,868 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 04:38 PM

I assume it will have a finite life span, so it probably wasn't intended to be permanent.

You know the type of tree, a drooping/weeping evergreen of some sort. I admit I don't know my trees and plants.

#1263 aastra

aastra
  • 13,868 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 04:43 PM

Somebody will say, "Wow, that [insert comically long Latin name here] is doing great." And I'll just smile politely.

#1264 zoomer

zoomer
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 19 December 2018 - 06:40 PM

Can I be a stinker and question the choice of tree on top of the short section between the two buildings? And also the frosted windows on the one part there on the front ground floor?

Frosted windows.. I was hoping that was a temporary classy alternative to paper over the windows while they finished that interior space. :( Anything happening there yet? Wasn’t there supposed to be a fancy Vancouver seafood restaurant opening somewhere in this building?

I can’t stand the frosted windows, like to see the city discourage those at all costs. Provincial government is the worst offender, a couple on Yates (old post office building, and the Haida theatre by Yates on Yates). Right across from that in the former Saint Vicent de Paul thrift store, the new social concerns office has frosted their windows too. Wasn’t that supposed to be the free grocery store?

Edited by zoomer, 19 December 2018 - 06:40 PM.

#1265 Nparker

Nparker
  • 21,194 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 06:52 PM

...I can’t stand the frosted windows, like to see the city discourage those at all costs...

Then there needs to be a push to reduce any and all street-level office space.

• Baro and DougG like this

#1266 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,415 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 06:59 PM

https://www.sidewalk...nd floor office
  • Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1267 JETT

JETT
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 04:49 PM

Can I be a stinker and question the choice of tree on top of the short section between the two buildings? And also the frosted windows on the one part there on the front ground floor?

Translucent window film is in place to hide the trade mess beyond while space is being built out, the same treatment is being used while the Boxing gym is being completed on the Cormorant side of 750 Pandora. 

Optimistic completion for restaurant @ Cormorant and Douglas is @ June....

#1268 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,322 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 05:00 PM

It’s a restaurant that’s coming to that corner, no?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1269 Nparker

Nparker
  • 21,194 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 07:08 PM

Any updates on whether the water feature is going to be dynamic or still?

#1270 JETT

JETT
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:58 PM

It’s a restaurant that’s coming to that corner, no?

'High end' seafood...... from what I've heard

#1271 JETT

JETT
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:00 PM

Any updates on whether the water feature is going to be dynamic or still?

What you see is what you get....central pool fills, water spills over the edges to fill outboard gutter to be circulated back to central pool.

#1272 Nparker

Nparker
  • 21,194 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:28 PM

And the corten steel just gets rustier?   :confused:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.