• Please log in to reply
364 replies to this topic

#341 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:50 PM

It's over 30 years old!

So am I... I don't feel dated or dirty... usually.

• Redd42 likes this

#342 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:33 AM

Are Fairfielders incapable of using Cook Street?

Yes, but that's exactly the street we're trying to avoid because it is always backed up now. With more planned construction along there, it will only get worse. Sometimes it's backed up for several blocks, and not at rush hour.

#343 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:45 AM

Yes, but that's exactly the street we're trying to avoid because it is always backed up now. With more planned construction along there, it will only get worse. Sometimes it's backed up for several blocks, and not at rush hour.

clearly the solution here is to get a bike and make 3 or 4 trips for your grocery shopping

• martini likes this

#344 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:26 AM

Are Fairfielders incapable of using Cook Street?

Mason being a small residential street is not meant to deal with commercial traffic. 

Seemed the underground was designed to be accessed from Vancouver. 

I just found it ironic she would be at the opening, and then move forward with this new plan less than 24 hours later. 

Seems bizarre to me. 

The store is a hit and super busy. I hope this new plan does not cut it off at the knees. 

#345 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:09 PM

Maybe build a new tunnel for northbound Vancouver St that goes under Pandora and into the parkade. Other N/B traffic can use that diversion route the city planned out to get a bi-directional view of Harris Green’s inhabitants.

#346 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:58 PM

Two words for the new Pandora Avenue S-o-F: game changer. The store is bright, well organized, well-stocked and easy to navigate. I'll still probably do the bulk of my grocery purchasing at Walmart to save money, but for post-work shopping convenience the new S-o-F will be my go-to location. My 'hood suddenly seems a whole lot nicer.

• martini, gstc84 and Daveyboy like this

#347 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:10 PM

Game changer - true.  Yet for me as well it won't be my regular store.  Save-On is the worst option in terms of large grocery stores - they don't do anything very well, with the possible exception of bulk.  Produce is nothing special, meat department is terrible (although this one is better than most), same with the bakery.  Half the store is filled with aisles I'd never buy anything from, especially household stuff.  I'll shop there just for sales, but otherwise hit up MOY on the way home, I can be in an out in five minutes max (yah that's important to me).  Also MOY prices are actually decent if you really compare on most items.  Milk is only 10 cents more for four litres compared to Save-On for example.  MOY's produce sucks unfortunately and service has gone downhill but they have way better variety and quality on the items I actually buy compared to Thrifty's or Save-On such as sauces, marinades, olives, condiments, etc.  You can walk in MOY and be excited about buying food to cook an interesting meal - Save-On just feels grey and utilitarian in comparison as far as food choices. Love the big windows though! 

And i noticed the sign out front said NO PHOTOGRAPHY... oh well.  Dumb, make everyone feel like a criminal. Thank god Mike didn't post any photos. 

#348 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:53 PM

Game changer - true.  Yet for me as well it won't be my regular store.  Save-On is the worst option in terms of large grocery stores - they don't do anything very well, with the possible exception of bulk.  Produce is nothing special, meat department is terrible (although this one is better than most), same with the bakery.  Half the store is filled with aisles I'd never buy anything from, especially household stuff.  I'll shop there just for sales, but otherwise hit up MOY on the way home, I can be in an out in five minutes max (yah that's important to me).  Also MOY prices are actually decent if you really compare on most items.  Milk is only 10 cents more for four litres compared to Save-On for example.  MOY's produce sucks unfortunately and service has gone downhill but they have way better variety and quality on the items I actually buy compared to Thrifty's or Save-On such as sauces, marinades, olives, condiments, etc.  You can walk in MOY and be excited about buying food to cook an interesting meal - Save-On just feels grey and utilitarian in comparison as far as food choices. Love the big windows though! 

And i noticed the sign out front said NO PHOTOGRAPHY... oh well.  Dumb, make everyone feel like a criminal. Thank god Mike didn't post any photos. 

save on is one of the few places that sells dairyland milk.. so between them and shoppers are my go to for milk, surprisingly for milk most prices are very competitive across the board (shoppers is often cheaper for milk and eggs compared to a grocery store!), they also have a baked in store bakery bread for a decent price (thriftys loaf price keeps going up though cheapest baked in store for a loaf is country grocer) i also shop the sales alot but sometimes you need to run out and buy bisto on short notice and it's nice knowing they carry it..

many stores have a no photography in store policy it's just not often they enforce it now a days with most people carrying a camera around with them wherever they go, heck someone posted the other day on the facebook rant and rave group a rant about root cellar asking them not to take photos in the store and how it was against store policy

• zoomer likes this

#349 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:08 PM

It's the nicest Save-Ons I've ever seen.

Did they have plastic bags?  Was the paper bag $0.25? :D

Fort & Foul Bay still charging for paper bags, whereas across the border in Saanich - plastic for $0.05.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#350 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:46 PM

MOY...have way better variety and quality on the items I actually buy compared to Thrifty's or Save-On such as sauces, marinades, olives, condiments, etc.

MoY's deli is nothing to brag about (although they have some decent specialty cheeses). Their selection of "everyday" products is limited and their fresh baked goods are often picked-over by noon. Where they shine is their butcher and fresh seafood sections.

Since the new S-o-F is closer to home for me by a couple of blocks and has some interesting quick meal options, I can't see myself making the trip to MoY too often anymore.

• zoomer likes this

#351 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,480 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:13 AM

I have noticed they’re starting to bring in more Urban Fare items to their stores.
  • Kapten Kapsell likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#352 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:34 AM

I am in the points game at Save On just for the ferry passes so it is our go-to grocery store. Nice to have one close to MOY for seafood nights.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#353 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:15 AM

To me, the biggest weakness of Save-On-Foods is their 'house brand':  Western Family.  I've tried several WF food products and I've been disappointed with most of them.  President's Choice seems to be a better 'house brand', and I wonder if the Overwaitea Group will make investments in WF or if they will eventually ditch it in favour of something else? 

I like the new Save-on-Foods downtown, but I think Market on Yates has a much better meat department and selection of 'hard to find' items and I will likely shop there more frequently (between the two).  I was a bit disappointed to see how limited the prepared meals section was at the new SoF downtown:  about half of the prepared meals choices were "Canadian" Chinese food (things like Sweet and Sour Chicken on Rice).  Maybe they will offer more choices as time goes on (similar to Urban Fare in Vancouver).

#354 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:36 PM

Gave it a try yesterday, nice and bright, decently intuitive layout, lots of fresh options in the deli and at the hot counter. I may return from time to time for mid-week deals, provided it's not dark out...

As an aside, has the guy with the cart village on the corner applied for building permit? That thing it getting HUGE!

~ Jasmine ~

#355 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:50 PM

Gave it a try yesterday, nice and bright, decently intuitive layout, lots of fresh options in the deli and at the hot counter. I may return from time to time for mid-week deals, provided it's not dark out...

As an aside, has the guy with the cart village on the corner applied for building permit? That thing it getting HUGE!

Is it more than 10 sq. m;)

Edited by Jackerbie, 13 August 2019 - 01:50 PM.

• jasmineshinga likes this

#356 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:54 AM

Save-On-Foods-coming-to-Colwood-as-part-of-mixed-use-mega-project-at-Colwood-Corners.jpg

An artist's rendering of the Onni Group's first phase of the Colwood Corners development on Sooke Road at Goldstream Avenue in Colwood. Save-On-Foods will anchor the project with a 38,000 square foot store fronting onto Sooke Road.

Save-On-Foods coming to Colwood as part of mixed-use mega-project at Colwood Corners
https://victoria.cit...olwood-corners/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#357 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:41 PM

Awesome.  Now I will have a choice where to pay too much for groceries - Thrifty's or Save-On, both named without a whiff of irony.

• Mike K., Fairbanks, sebberry and 1 other like this

#358 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 07:18 AM

Save On is significantly cheaper than Thriftys.
  • Fairbanks and shoeflack like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#359 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 01:36 PM

Save On is significantly cheaper than Thriftys.

I get that Thrifty's sells high-quality meat, seafood, fruit and veg. I am prepared to pay for quality. I am not prepared to pay 20% more for the same packaged items sold in just about every supermarket in town. Thrifty's seems to charge the yuppie premium for the privilege of shopping there. Feh!

#360 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 01:58 PM

There are differences between Save-On and Thriftys in their pricing. Save-On almost always has cheaper chicken (and sales on Hagen-Dasz!) while Thrifty's almost always has ground beef that is cheaper.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users