Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:33 AM

save on security?

#322 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:35 AM

You can hire them for only 25,000 Save on More Rewards points.

#323 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:43 AM

Yup. I didn’t want to snap a photo but the security staff wear Save On Foods Security logos, decked out in all black/bullet proof vesty looking attire.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#324 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:43 AM

That map showing the new route is the dumbest thing ever. I'm sure that new plaza will have some pretty rude knicknames before long. Well guess we'll be outputting more car exhaust getting there!

• Nparker likes this

#325 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:43 AM

Fort & Foul Bay store charged me again for my paper bag. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#326 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:22 AM

Fort & Foul Bay store charged me again for my paper bag. 

Have people forgotten that even before the CoV put in place that bylaw, most major chain businesses were charging for both paper and plastic bags? Why are people so shocked that even after the bylaw being deemed illegal, businesses are still charging for bags? There's nothing that says a business can't charge for bags. If they want to do that and you don't agree, just don't shop there.

#327 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:25 AM

'cause it was never $0.25 per paper bag.  And if you're charging, give me choice, including the one to use a multi-use plastic bag.

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#328 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:30 AM

'cause it was never $0.25 per paper bag.  And if you're charging, give me choice, including the one to use a multi-use plastic bag.

But that's not their obligation. They're a private business and can do whatever the heck they want. Like I said, if you don't like it, shop elsewhere. Most major chains are moving away from plastic regardless. And with the volatility around what the CoV may or may not do with challenging the ruling, why would Save-on-Foods run the risk of ordering more plastic bags for them to be banned again shortly thereafter.

#329 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 10:06 AM

But that's not their obligation. They're a private business and can do whatever the heck they want. Like I said, if you don't like it, shop elsewhere. Most major chains are moving away from plastic regardless. And with the volatility around what the CoV may or may not do with challenging the ruling, why would Save-on-Foods run the risk of ordering more plastic bags for them to be banned again shortly thereafter.

Much like Mayor Helps threatened to consider suing to OPCC for defamation (which of course never materialized), the City has no intent of challenging any court rulings. Not only would it add to the costs they have already wasted on this, the Province and Feds are planning to introduce their own rules anyways.

Edited by spanky123, 09 August 2019 - 10:06 AM.

#330 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 09 August 2019 - 10:21 AM

Much like Mayor Helps threatened to consider suing to OPCC for defamation (which of course never materialized), the City has no intent of challenging any court rulings. Not only would it add to the costs they have already wasted on this, the Province and Feds are planning to introduce their own rules anyways.

They don't need to challenge the ruling though. The ruling was that the Bylaw requires approval from the Minister of the Environment. So once they get that approval, I assume they can enforce the Bylaw again.

#331 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:53 PM

I noticed Save Ons had its own security brand manning the main entrance. I’ve never seen that before.

i think they know enough about the neighbourhood that they know security is needed, and not just hidden security and tons of cameras like many stores have but in your face security being pro-active from the first day they open letting people know that they won't put up with drama and they will not put up with theft in the store (and also letting people know they are safe shopping in the store)

• Mike K., Nparker, grantpalin and 2 others like this

#332 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:03 PM

Definitely not rent a cop security. Was there twice today and one is always by the door closely watching and scanning all coming in, while the other is pretty active moving through the store. I asked both separately if they were busy today, both replied with “oh yah...”. No panhandlers out front though. Surprisingly the view looking out to Pandora is quite beautiful, it’s a little below ground level inside and the through the windows you can see a beautiful sea of green trees, grass and idyllic bike lanes. Let’s hope they don’t plaster or cover up those windows with ads or translucent coverings.

#333 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:31 PM

Just curious on the same day of the grand opening that council are going ahead with the Vancouver St. bike lanes. How will people access the underground parking off Vancouver on Mason St? 

#334 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:03 PM

Just curious on the same day of the grand opening that council are going ahead with the Vancouver St. bike lanes. How will people access the underground parking off Vancouver on Mason St?

Spectacular question. I bet the developer is already prepping lawyers for a challenge.
  • martini likes this

#335 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 11:16 AM

...the view looking out to Pandora is quite beautiful, it’s a little below ground level inside and the through the windows you can see a beautiful sea of green trees, grass and idyllic bike lanes. Let's hope they don’t plaster or cover up those windows with ads or translucent coverings.

Imagine that. Large and tall windows, that look out onto stuff. That people can see into. Not covered over. In Victoria. It's like 1899 all over again.

• zoomer, Rob Randall and Nparker like this

#336 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:11 PM

It's the nicest Save-Ons I've ever seen.

These urban stores just have such a flair to them, and the activity beyond the windows adds so much to the ambiance of the store.

Save-Ons-1.jpg

Save-Ons-2.jpg

• zoomer, Nparker, martini and 2 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#337 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 02:34 PM

Seems to me that if you're trying to get there from Fairfield you're going to have to make an awful lot of left turns now.

• martini likes this

#338 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:57 PM

Are Fairfielders incapable of using Cook Street?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#339 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:35 PM

That looks nice. I don't like the one in Saanich Plaza, feels... dated, dirty.

#340 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:42 PM

That looks nice. I don't like the one in Saanich Plaza, feels... dated, dirty.

It's over 30 years old!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users