- - - - -

Save-On-Foods grocery stores in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
364 replies to this topic

#161 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:24 PM

Found the Fort and Foul bay more expensive than the Vic West Save On for several of my common items...... Not sure if its near Oak Bay they can pay more or what ?

#162 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:35 AM

In Sidney last weekend, saw a sign asking for patience as the start phase 2. Was told it involved making the bakery and produce departments smaller and adding MORE??? shelving and a larger bulk dept.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#163 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,569 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:18 AM

Found the Fort and Foul bay more expensive than the Vic West Save On for several of my common items...... Not sure if its near Oak Bay they can pay more or what ?

Save-Ons has gotten more expensive lately so you're probably seeing the same prices out there that we're seeing in Vic West.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#164 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:39 AM

Have to pay for their recent purchase.
  • Mike K. likes this

#165 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:57 AM

In Sidney last weekend, saw a sign asking for patience as the start phase 2. Was told it involved making the bakery and produce departments smaller and adding MORE??? shelving and a larger bulk dept.

Yup, went into the Fort/Foul Bay store for the first time last night and was underwhelmed at the reduction in the bakery as that's what that store was famous for imho

#166 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:21 AM

It's happening at Fort/Foul Bay as well as Tillicum.

Tillicum seems to have shrunk the bakery a bit by moving the greeting card rack to that area.  I too was a little underwhelmed by the bakery when I went to get dessert on Sunday. 

They're moving quite a bit of stock around at the Fort/Foul Bay store and it looks like the bakery is shrinking there too.  I don't get a lot of baked goods so I can't make an accurate comparison. 

I'm liking the changes, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#167 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:21 AM

It always surprises me in this day and age that Save on continues to go the route of pre packaged vs interactive counter and specialty service. They cant be stupid though, so it must be a profitable business strategy. Perhaps this is a blessing for specialty businesses in Oak Bay and Sidney.

#168 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:44 AM

They're also rearranging a lot of stuff, presumably to apply the familiar Save-On layout to the store.  So while it might be good for that minority of Oak Bay shoppers who travel to Save-On, it's a pain for the majority who have been shopping at the Safeway for years. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#169 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:08 PM

The Vic West store seems to have more junk food/chocolate everywhere.... not just because of Easter seems to be all the time now...

#170 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

More kids around that store?

#171 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:40 PM

The new "Save on" layout at Fort/Foul Bay doesn't make very much sense (at least to me).

Jams and spreads used to be near the bread.  Made sense, you put them on bread.  Now they're in the middle of the store across from the candy. 

Hot dogs, bacon and other processed meats were near the deli and bakery.  Mostly made sense.  At least the hot dogs were close to the buns.  Now they're in the fridge where the fruit juices used to be in the produce section. 

Fresh pasta and sauce used to be near the meats.  Ok, that didn't really make sense, hot dogs and cold cuts should have been there.  Now the pasta is next to the hot dogs in the produce section where the fruit juice used to be.  Fruit juice is now in the dairy fridge. 

...And I thought it was odd that Safeway never put the sugar cubes in the tea/coffee aisle. 

The Black Forest Strudels appear to have been discontinued :(

#172 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:07 PM

The goal of all supermarkets is to make you walk as long as possible. Notice that if you only want a loaf of bread and a jug of milk you have to thread your way along the longest possible route and your bill ends up at $26.54 instead of $5.60.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#173 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:22 PM

Oh, and Safeway had handy "price per 100ml" marks on the price tag to better help shoppers pick the better value. 

That now appears to be gone. 

#174 LJ

LJ
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:34 PM

Oh, and Safeway had handy "price per 100ml" marks on the price tag to better help shoppers pick the better value. 

That now appears to be gone. 

Aren't they all supposed to post that information?

• LocalMom likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#175 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:36 AM

The goal of all supermarkets is to make you walk as long as possible. Notice that if you only want a loaf of bread and a jug of milk you have to thread your way along the longest possible route and your bill ends up at $26.54 instead of $5.60.

Why would you trudge all the way to the supermarket for just $5 of groceries anyway? :P

Aren't they all supposed to post that information?

Quebec is the only province that regulates so-called "unit pricing".

Edited by bluefox, 06 May 2014 - 09:38 AM.

(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#176 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:48 PM

they do that because they are actually selling milk at a loss

#177 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:16 PM

I've noticed at the Fort & Foul Bay store quite a few new faces wearing black and green with many of the old ones not around much.

It could be that I'm going at different times, but it seems like some of the older employees have either gone or moved to other stores.

Am I alone in this observation or does it look like some big staffing changes have taken place? 

#178 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:51 AM

^I agree with that, I haven't seen any old employees of Safeway there.  I would suspect the seniority of the Safeway workers was gone and they had to start at the bottom at Save On which is of course near minimum wage.

There were more carry overs from Safeway in the first month or so, but I suspect some stayed and just kept working while they looked for a new job

Has any one noticed how much more expensive Save on is compared to Safeway?

#179 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:20 AM

I thought Save On was going to retain the employees, which as I understood it meant that they weren't going to substantially change the working conditions or compensation.  Such a substantial change would, I think, constitute a termination of the old position and the creation of a new one.

I also thought that the union local was tied to the physical store location and not the name of the place. 

If Save On did manage to axe the old employees or squeeze them out then it's really unfortunate. 

#180 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,569 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

Well if there was a union involved then senior employees could bump employees in other stores and change locations. There are quite a few stores to choose from now and I bet many people relocated which opened up desirable schedule opportunities for those who stayed behind.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users