Save-On-Foods grocery stores in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
364 replies to this topic

#141 skeptic

skeptic
  • 387 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:14 PM

Daft forum software doesn't work well on ipad

Edited by skeptic, 31 March 2014 - 06:18 PM.

• skeptic likes this

#142 skeptic

skeptic
  • 387 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:16 PM

I signed up for the card today.all, I was asked for was name, phone number and date of birth (which I lied about, of course). Note to tin foil hat people: you don't have to submit to a lie detector test or provide any ID so why get all bent out of shape about the form?

As for prices, the grocery business is very competitive so if you don't like them go where it's cheaper. Always been that way.

Save-on is beaming rays into my brain! Ey-owwwww!

#143 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:56 AM

Why can't all grocery stores price their wares like SuperStore? I was there the other day and couldn't believe the price difference.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#144 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:39 AM

I find the quality of SuperStores fruits and veg is terrible compared to even Walmart (similar prices), or Country Grocer. Even Fairways was better. Thrifty beats all of them in that category though.

#145 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:36 AM

I never found the quality to differ much from that of Save-Ons, but I do think that the sheer volume of shoppers that move through SuperStore make quite a mess of the fruit and vegetable displays. They can look a little disheveled at times if staff haven't tended to them as quickly as they should.

I've seen similar produce issues in busy stores in large US cities. No matter what the staff do within minutes the produce section looks like a tornado has skipped Oklahoma and landed in their aisles.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#146 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:20 AM

Why can't all grocery stores price their wares like SuperStore? I was there the other day and couldn't believe the price difference.

The cost structure in a hypermarket is much different (read: lower) than a conventional supermarket.

(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#147 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:22 AM

I never found the quality to differ much from that of Save-Ons, but I do think that the sheer volume of shoppers that move through SuperStore make quite a mess of the fruit and vegetable displays. They can look a little disheveled at times if staff haven't tended to them as quickly as they should.

I've seen similar produce issues in busy stores in large US cities. No matter what the staff do within minutes the produce section looks like a tornado has skipped Oklahoma and landed in their aisles.

That doesn't seem to be a problem at the Uptown Walmart.

#148 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:25 AM

SuperStore and Fairways can be great for some stuff, but I have also seen fresh food actively going through the decay process at these stores as well.

Wal Mart has good prices, but the parking situation and lack of open cashiers means heading there is always a painful, time consuming odyssey.

#149 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:29 AM

^ Cashiers, yes. What's the problem with parking? Its just a parkade. One level of it is always busy but there are plenty of spots. People seem to think if they can't park within 10 spots of the escalator, its too far?

#150 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:30 AM

^ Cashiers, yes. What's the problem with parking? Its just a parkade. One level of it is always busy but there are plenty of spots. People seem to think if they can't park within 10 spots of the escalator, its too far?

You live in a city with a lot of old people, that's why :P

#151 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:32 AM

That doesn't seem to be a problem at the Uptown Walmart.

I've seen it looking pretty haggard as well. For what it's worth SuperStore has actually taken tremendous lengths at improving their image and the interiors of their stores. It's a far cry from where it was even two years ago.

The cost structure in a hypermarket is much different (read: lower) than a conventional supermarket.

How so?

Know it all.

#152 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:36 AM

The parking's not terrible it's just not as good as other grocery stores. You can't run in and out IMO.

#153 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

I've seen it looking pretty haggard as well. For what it's worth SuperStore has actually taken tremendous lengths at improving their image and the interiors of their stores. It's a far cry from where it was even two years ago.

How so?

Fewer, bigger locations with less employees not only means lower overhead but also less variable costs.

#154 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:18 PM

How so?

Jonny beat me to it. In the simplest terms, it comes down to scale.

#155 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:29 PM

So I got a reply to my email to Save On Foods about obtaining a card without my address and everything going along with it...

Hello <me>

We can set up an account with just a first name, last name and phone number. We need at least this information to create an account.

Let me know if you would like me to create one and mail it out.

• lanforod likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#156 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:48 PM

Got a few groceries today and the cashier (a Safeway veteran) handed me the card and said I could fill out the form and return it whenever I wanted to.

Perfect, I have my card and I didn't have to make up a name. 

Mission accomplished. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#157 LJ

LJ
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:45 PM

Got a few groceries today and the cashier (a Safeway veteran) handed me the card and said I could fill out the form and return it whenever I wanted to.

Perfect, I have my card and I didn't have to make up a name. 

Mission accomplished. 

Oh, that is not nearly as much fun as making a name up. I love it when the cashiers look down at the receipt and say "Thank you Mr. Superstud for shopping at ........" :1954_dancing:

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#158 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:29 AM

Thrifty Foods has a sign posted at their tills offering to accept Safeway Gift Cards. 

#159 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:00 AM

I think I remember seeing a sign at Safeway mentioning that before big red and white S came down.

#160 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:27 AM

But as I mentioned earlier, they have to phone in to determine the balance so expect a delay.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users