BUILT
Black and White
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1033 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, penthouse, 1BR + den, 2BR + den, junior 1BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Black and White is a six-storey mixed-used development with five residential levels above a ground floor comme... (view full profile)
Learn more about Black and White on Citified.ca
Photo

[Fairfield] Black and White | Condos; commercial | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
960 replies to this topic

#921 Glen

Glen
  • 279 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 12:24 PM

.........something to consider

B&W provided a BMW, i-3  and electric bicycles as part of their sales promotion.  The car was stolen and damaged before even going into use.  These so called EXTRAS have many implications to a new condo board, all adding to the monthly maintenance fees.  THe car will get sold from what I hear as will the bicycles.

The cost for the extra insurance and risk is nothing but a negative.  New builds don't have extra cash reserves to fund these EXTRAS provided by the builder.

I believe Bellewoods will have a similar provision.  Certainly an upscale building like Bellewoods doesn't require an in house vehicle and bicycles.  Owners can afford their own if they wish.

• Nparker likes this

#922 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 03 August 2020 - 12:44 PM

.........something to consider
B&W provided a BMW, i-3 and electric bicycles as part of their sales promotion. The car was stolen and damaged before even going into use. These so called EXTRAS have many implications to a new condo board, all adding to the monthly maintenance fees. THe car will get sold from what I hear as will the bicycles.
The cost for the extra insurance and risk is nothing but a negative. New builds don't have extra cash reserves to fund these EXTRAS provided by the builder.

I believe Bellewoods will have a similar provision. Certainly an upscale building like Bellewoods doesn't require an in house vehicle and bicycles. Owners can afford their own if they wish.

I had a repo company ask me outside my building on January 11th if they could check out the building's underground parking to see if they could find a black and white BMW.. they hinted about it being stolen.. wasn't really sure if THEY were trying to steal it. I looked for them and said there was only a black BMW i3. Only later did I realize they meant the condo black and white! Took a better look and there it was.. with the B & W wrap. Told them, and asked them to contact building management to get access. Apparently the car was pinging it's location.

#923 Promontory Kingpin

Promontory Kingpin
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 01:42 PM

Owners in B&W are going to take a huge and unfortunate hit to their property values. Be prepared to see some new listings on the MLS in the coming months...

https://www.cheknews...g-units-695585/

#924 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,831 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 01:45 PM

“We are grateful to the province for this important investment in supportive housing in Victoria,” said Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps in a statement. “We know from experience that these new, purpose-built buildings fit well into existing neighbourhoods and create safe, secure places for people to live in our city and in communities throughout the capital region.”

they do?

• Nparker likes this

#925 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,663 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 01:47 PM

...Along with the new property, the government said BC housing will set up a new community advisory committee in order to oversee the development’s “integration with the community.” The intention of the committee, says the province, will be to address any concerns raised by people living in the neighbourhood...

Yeah, right.

#926 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,831 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 01:50 PM

to be fair a purpose-built place for homeless has not been built for at least a decade, maybe two.  no?

#927 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,663 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 01:53 PM

to be fair a purpose-built place for homeless has not been built for at least a decade, maybe two.  no?

From the above story: "Last month, a first-of-its-kind supportive housing complex for Indigenous women opened in Victoria"

#928 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 02:01 PM

Owners in B&W are going to take a huge and unfortunate hit to their property values. Be prepared to see some new listings on the MLS in the coming months...

As much as owners will put up a stink (and rightfully so), the movement of properties is unlikely to happen. I was living at 834 Johnson when the new neighbours moved in, and while it caused a ton of headaches, it didn't drive people to sell en masse, nor did it have much impact on property values.

Unfortunately this issue is something that every property owner in Victoria will have to continue to deal with until those in power realize that the current approach to homelessness in this town simply isn't working.

Edited by shoeflack, 27 August 2020 - 02:02 PM.

• aastra likes this

#929 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 02:01 PM

“Everyone deserves a good, safe place to call home,"

...in downtown Victoria or on the fringes of downtown, but nowhere else.

What if somebody wants to buy a condo or rent an apartment in that same central area? Does he deserve the opportunity? Of course not. The authorities continue to aggravate the broader housing situation.

Summary:

-Yet again the mission to save the world is focused on downtown Victoria and its immediate fringes.

-Yet again the 800-pound gorilla acquires & removes a central property from the list of potential redevelopment sites, thus aggravating the broader housing crunch going forward.

• Nparker likes this

#930 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,831 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 02:02 PM

From the above story: "Last month, a first-of-its-kind supportive housing complex for Indigenous women opened in Victoria"

oh ya but that was just some container housing at blanshard court.

#931 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,663 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 02:06 PM

oh ya but that was just some container housing at blanshard court.

True, but it was still "built" for the explicit purpose of housing (presumably) homeless people.

#932 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 02:10 PM

Certainly on this scale the last two were Our Place in 2007 and Rock Bay in 2010.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#933 Ru

Ru
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 04:49 PM

...in downtown Victoria or on the fringes of downtown, but nowhere else.

What if somebody wants to buy a condo or rent an apartment in that same central area? Does he deserve the opportunity? Of course not. The authorities continue to aggravate the broader housing situation.

I don't know.. this is the perfect location in my mind, these people need support that is easily accessible (ie walking distance). Pretty ideal, with the VIHA 9,000 sq/ft Support Clinics going in just a few blocks up at the Wade (on Johnson/Pandora), these people can easily walk to this new clinic. Maybe this is actually part of a plan...

#934 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 August 2020 - 04:56 PM

As much as owners will put up a stink (and rightfully so), the movement of properties is unlikely to happen. I was living at 834 Johnson when the new neighbours moved in, and while it caused a ton of headaches, it didn't drive people to sell en masse, nor did it have much impact on property values.

Unfortunately this issue is something that every property owner in Victoria will have to continue to deal with until those in power realize that the current approach to homelessness in this town simply isn't working.

I own unit at the 834 which I've owned since day one and saying that what is going on next door hasn't impacted values is a bit of a stretch.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#935 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 05:57 PM

...these people need support that is easily accessible (ie walking distance). Pretty ideal, with the VIHA 9,000 sq/ft Support Clinics going in just a few blocks up at the Wade (on Johnson/Pandora), these people can easily walk to this new clinic. Maybe this is actually part of a plan..

Yes, but this is what I mean when I say this noble mission to save the world sure has an incredibly narrow geographical focus.

• Nparker likes this

#936 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 05:57 PM

Saving humanity... in two square miles or less.

• Nparker and mbjj like this

#937 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 August 2020 - 10:46 PM

Yes, but this is what I mean when I say this noble mission to save the world sure has an incredibly narrow geographical focus.

That's because it's taboo to allow anything but a single family home on the vast majority of the urban land in North America. If we diversified the housing types in established neighbourhoods there would be less pressure to locate all of the density in one spot. This would have a knock on effect on the location of services, transportation networks, housing affordability ...

#938 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 11:08 PM

Yet again, another heartless post from PK who is fixated on posting about how housing homeless people affects affluent people nearby.

#939 Promontory Kingpin

Promontory Kingpin
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 04:52 AM

Yet again, another heartless post from PK who is fixated on posting about how housing homeless people affects affluent people nearby.

There are a lot of folks who were first time home buyers at B&W and other surrounding buildings. Having 50k taken off the value of your home - something that takes many years of savings and discipline to achieve ain’t no joke. When the city or province initiates these pet projects they are very seldom executed well and often create havoc in the surrounding neighbourhood that leads to violence, robbery, and public drug use.

The neighbourhood plays the role of the victim in these unfortunate situations and has to assume the social costs that are associated with these projects which all too often result in a decreased quality of life for residents and small businesses within the area.
  • Barrrister likes this

#940 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,831 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 04:55 AM

maybe it will be done right for once.  not too far away on johnson a cool aid run housing project flies pretty nicely under the radar.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users