Photo

BC (Victoria) liquor law issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
541 replies to this topic

#341 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:33 PM

Can McDonald's get a license to serve their patrons who "lounge" in the parking lot of the Pandora/Vancouver location? If so I see some major profits to be had.

#342 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:35 PM

Hmm. Can I startup a hot dog cart and sell booze to dudes sitting on a nearby lawn chair?

If their seating area fits the rules.  Look, nobody has been calling loudly for this change, likely someone that knows someone in power got this thing put in.  It'll be interesting to see what pops up (likely in Vancouver).

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#343 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 04:59 AM

My guess is booze served on beaches in Vancouver.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#344 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:03 AM

New liquor laws announced today will allow booze to be sold in barber shops, spas, art galleries, cooking schools and book stores.

• thundergun likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#345 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:11 AM

Finally!

#346 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:17 AM

Yes, alcohol-free barber shops have been the bane of our society for generations.  :wacko:

• http, tedward and nagel like this

#347 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:20 AM

Yes, alcohol-free barber shops have been the bane of our society for generations.  :wacko:

I think the idea is more for salons (so the male equivalent is barbers?), but the idea is you can have a glass of wine while having your nails done, or a beer while waiting for your haircut.

#348 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:28 AM

I think the idea is more for salons (so the male equivalent is barbers?), but the idea is you can have a glass of wine while having your nails done, or a beer while waiting for your haircut.

Shhh...don't tell anyone, but a hair salon I have frequented* has on occasion already offered a glass of wine to its clients.  :eek:

* ps: hair salons haven't been the domain of women-only since about 1970

• VicHockeyFan and Matt R. like this

#349 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:37 AM

I'm disappointed oil change stations aren't on the list.  They can take an hour sometimes and you're just sitting there waiting.  Should be able to pound 3 or 4 Fat Tugs back before getting back on the road.

• Mike K., Nparker and lanforod like this

#350 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:39 AM

I'm disappointed oil change stations aren't on the list.  They can take an hour sometimes and you're just sitting there waiting.  Should be able to pound 3 or 4 Fat Tugs back before getting back on the road.

Well, if you are smart, you go to the bar next door.  A lot of car dealerships near Fox Pub, Tally Ho, and Shark Club. 

#351 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:55 AM

In fact it looks like any old business will be able to apply:

All types of businesses will be able to apply for a liquor primary licence, so long as they do not operate from a motor vehicle or target minors. 

https://news.gov.bc.....cg_n=HootSuite

So your oil change shop might qualify.

• Nparker and nagel like this

#352 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:29 PM

How about a beer cart or a mobile growler filling station?
  • nagel likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#353 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:34 PM

How about a beer cart or a mobile growler filling station?

Growler fillers have never been available away from the brewery, have they?

#354 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:34 PM

Growler fillers have never been available away from the brewery, have they?

Well the Victoria Public Market is apparently trying it out with the tap takeover concept.

• VicHockeyFan and thundergun like this

#355 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:48 PM

I dunno, I see now real downside.  Beer at the laundromat?  Why not?  Anywhere you are forced to wait it seems good.  Walk-in medical clinic?  Maybe not.  Hospital waiting room?  Sure!   Funeral hall?  Mini golf course.  FERRY TERMINAL.

• nagel and Prom2 like this

#356 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:52 PM

Interactivity Board Game Cafe has struggled with getting a liquor license; This should open that door, no?

• Nparker and Midnightly like this

#357 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:00 PM

Interactivity Board Game Cafe has struggled with getting a liquor license; This should open that door, no?

I'd think so.  Struggled as they do not sell enough food for a food-primary, right?

I don't think it's all that big a deal, pubs and bars should not be all that concerned.  Licensed coffee shops hardly seem to do much liquor sales, places like Pig and Shine we know do not.

#358 Prom2

Prom2
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:15 PM

I dunno, I see now real downside.  Beer at the laundromat?  Why not?  Anywhere you are forced to wait it seems good.  Walk-in medical clinic?  Maybe not.  Hospital waiting room?  Sure!   Funeral hall?  Mini golf course.  FERRY TERMINAL.

.... Ferry Terminal.   Yes, a great place to also showcase BC Wines and Brews for the tourist traffic.  Not only at the terminal, but on the ships as well.  If not a stand alone storefront.. then create one by opening a SPA or Barber Shop.

#359 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:11 PM

I'd love to be able to get some Baileys in my coffee.
  • Nparker likes this

#360 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:10 PM

We were staying overnight just outside of Salt Lake City and we were out for dinner I asked the server where I could get a bottle of wine. She came back a few minutes later and said "the closest place is in Provo, but it closes in half an hour."

I did without.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users