• Please log in to reply
541 replies to this topic

#101 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:55 AM

When the option of liquor stores in grocery stores was announced, online comment sections in various news outlets were exploding with predictions of the end of the world.

Now it seems overall availability will change very little. 

I don't buy much alcohol but the times I do need to pick up a bottle of wine I've never felt that I needed the liquor store to be closer to the meat aisle.  The BCL store at Fort/Foul Bay is plenty close to the pork chops for me.  Although it would be nice if I could buy wine and flowers together. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#102 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:26 AM

^ You won't be able to. Flowers and wine will need separate tills.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#103 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:31 AM

I hope when the happy hour rules come out, that some local places do some clever promotions.  1pm shooters for $1 etc.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#104 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:00 AM

^ happy hour still has some price minimums unfortunately. I don't think we'll see $1 shooters. Maybe $3... maybe.

Wasn't there a new BC liquor store going into Hillside? That's certainly a lot closer than 1 km to the Hillside Corner liquor store... I suppose the rules may not apply to BC Liquor Stores...

#105 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:48 PM

I think each municipality can set the minimum drink price? Victoria has a minimum prize of $3, doesn't it?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#106 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

I think each municipality can set the minimum drink price? Victoria has a minimum prize of $3, doesn't it?

Ya, but it's based on 1oz of 40% alcohol, so you can have weak (17% etc.) shooters at $1.50.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#107 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:28 AM

Sign me up for a prize of $3 per drink. Maybe can bring in 40 bucks before i pass out... :P

#108 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:46 AM

Sign me up for a prize of $3 per drink. Maybe can bring in 40 bucks before i pass out... :P

Paparazzis downtown, every Monday and Tuesday I think, $3 for everything, including tax.  Darcy's has $4.25 drinks, including tax from M-Th.

#109 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:17 AM

^ Tuesday and Wednesday.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#110 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:19 AM

^ You won't be able to. Flowers and wine will need separate tills.

Same goes for wine and condoms.

#111 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:38 AM

Paparazzis downtown, every Monday and Tuesday I think, $3 for everything, including tax.  Darcy's has $4.25 drinks, including tax from M-Th.

Price sure... but prizes? :P

#112 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:39 AM

Same goes for wine and condoms.

Tequila and condoms you mean? ;P

#113 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:55 AM

Well of course Gin works too.

We all know the other name of Gin

#114 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:56 PM

So the fencing requirement is gone now.

http://www.vancitybu...ee-flow-liquor/

And I never knew what the hard-liquor rules were at sporting events, you have been able to get spirits at every Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre sports event since it opened, in the restaurant/lounge.  I'm not sure if all sports arenas are going to jump at the idea of spirits in the stands, that can open it a up a bit for people to sneak in booze and transfer to their arena-bought cups.  A lot easier to do with spirits than currently with beer.  

I think it would be nice now to see some type of wine festival along the harbour or at Fort Rodd Hill, or even at a park like the revamped Fisherman's Wharf park.

#115 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:25 AM

I'm not sure if all sports arenas are going to jump at the idea of spirits in the stands, that can open it a up a bit for people to sneak in booze and transfer to their arena-bought cups.

You have always been able to do this with arena/stadium bought fountain/bottled drinks  :muching_out:

#116 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:40 AM

A flask isn't hard to hide.

#117 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:41 AM

You have always been able to do this with arena/stadium bought fountain/bottled drinks  :muching_out:

I guess.  But if stopped and questioned and your cup smelled before, they knew if was fishy if it smelled like vodka (that they did not sell on premise back then).

#118 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:54 PM

The Vic Theatre has applied for a LP license.

#119 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:17 PM

What's the motivator?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#120 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:28 PM

What's the motivator?

So people can drink while watching a movie.  I guess they have had to keep using special occasion licences.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users