Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The 834 | Condos | 40.7m | 14-storeys | Built - completed in 2011

• Please log in to reply
799 replies to this topic

#761 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:43 AM

Engineered can usually be sanded and refinished a couple of times - it's a layer of real hardwood after all.

No, in the case of 834 its a thin layer of hardwood veneer over plywood. I looked at the sample and laughed. I wish I should show you a cross section, but trust me you can't sand/refinish these floors. CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP

I could talk about many other examples, but everything in the 834 is the cheapest quality they could buy

#762 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

No, in the case of 834 its a thin layer of hardwood veneer over plywood. I looked at the sample and laughed. I wish I should show you a cross section, but trust me you can't sand/refinish these floors. CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP

I could talk about many other examples, but everything in the 834 is the cheapest quality they could buy

I don't think you've see the majority of condos in Langford.

At least the kitchens have decent soft close systems, under cabinet lighting, the bathtubs are titled versus skirted, etc., etc., it really isn't that bad for a building that was marketed as affordable from day one.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#763 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:53 AM

Getting into the parkade at the 834 is can be a bit of a pain if you have a larger vehicle courtesy of the pillar (pictured below).

According to a rebutable source, The City of Victoria wanted the pillar because they thought the asthetics of the Juliet parkade entrance could be improved upon (entrance looks too big?).

This makes my head explode because it is represenative of the kind of "value-add" service that City committees and staff bring to the table. I don't get how developers can actually reconcile undertaking a project within the City, dealing with this this BS, I really don't.

#764 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:43 PM

It was pretty nice on the 834 rooftop today!

#765 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:48 PM

This makes my head explode because it is represenative of the kind of "value-add" service that City committees and staff bring to the table. I don't get how developers can actually reconcile undertaking a project within the City, dealing with this this BS, I really don't.

This is a streetscape issue. Larger parking entrances make the streetscape very unattractive, reducing pedestrian volumes. We are building a city for people, not a city for cars.

#766 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

We are building a city for people, not a city for cars.

The more difficult you make it for a car to get around, the more dangerous it becomes.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#767 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

Dangerous for people, or for the car's paint job??
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#768 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:37 PM

This is a streetscape issue. Larger parking entrances make the streetscape very unattractive, reducing pedestrian volumes. We are building a city for people, not a city for cars.

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure that parking entrance was built for cars. Form follows function still makes sense. And if you want more pedestrian traffic, then enabling developers to build functional and affordable housing units in the downtown core is useful.

Also, as someone who spends a lot of time walking downtown, I have to say that parking garage entrances are pretty low on my list of complaints.

#769 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:18 PM

Also, as someone who spends a lot of time walking downtown, I have to say that parking garage entrances are pretty low on my list of complaints.

There are far worse things to be looking at, listening to, smelling or stepping on downtown than a parking garage column :rolleyes:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#770 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:33 PM

...Also, as someone who spends a lot of time walking downtown, I have to say that parking garage entrances are pretty low on my list of complaints.

Agreed. As a frequent downtown pedestrian I probably couldn't tell you if underground parking entrances all had columns in the middle of them or not, but I am sure the people who park there can. I don't see the brick pillar at 834 adding anything to the aesthetic value of the building. If taking it away allowed for the unsightly "white gap" wall on the eastern ground floor to be made over, then I'd be all for the pillar's immediate removal. :D

#771 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

Penthouse at the 834....

#772 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:52 AM

Thanks for these photos, Marko.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#773 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:19 PM

Nice view of the microwave tower.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#774 thant pix

thant pix
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:02 AM

The plain white color I find really unattractive. Not what I expected from the rendering. It stands out like a ghost from around town. The white 10 storey on View, on the other hand, I don't mind.

#775 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:09 AM

I like it. The tower really stands out from Moss Rock. Although in a few years the brightness of it will fade.

#776 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:15 AM

Nice view of the microwave tower.

Never have to worry about a bad cell signal. :D
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#777 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:11 AM

THIS Chard website indicates just two of the penthouses left.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#778 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:44 AM

The "free" TELUS saga at the 834 continues.....

You think you would be foolish not to accept 12 months free internet/TV, right? Nope, sneaky company. When they set me up on my "free TV," without telling me they added "free Super Channel," which unknown to me, the free portion ran out after 3 months. The previous two months I received a bill for "Optic TV Charge" of $17.00 thinking maybe my girlfriend ordered movies or similar, nope. I dig a bit further into it and it turns out they started charging for the Super Channel. Then their representative insults my intelligence and asks me why it took me three months to figure it out? Wouldn't refund and I haven't turned on the Super Channel once!!!

TELUS is a joke!

#779 Bebopper

Bebopper
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:24 AM

I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered a lack of response from the "cutomer care" website set up by Chard? I reported an issue over a week ago and never received the promised phone call "within 24 hours". This leads me to wonder if anyone is actually monitoring the site, or if the email reponses are merely generated by some computer program.

#780 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:47 AM

^ I would pick up the phone.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users