BUILT
The Janion
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: Store Street at Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, loft, 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Janion development includes the full heritage restoration of the historic Janion Hotel, built in 1891, and... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Janion on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Janion Building redevelopment | 7-storeys | Built/renovated - completed in 2016

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
2679 replies to this topic

#721 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:51 PM

From today.  Of note, workers are busy putting up the falsework for a large south wall.  Also notice the large piece of concrete jutting into the frame from the right.  That's the newly poured "cap" for the JSB east abutment pier - from my angle it sure looks close to the Janion.

16403201381_eda0660b42_h.jpg

Edited by Gary H, 30 January 2015 - 08:05 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#722 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:43 PM

Thanks for the photo.

I was over there yesterday and thought the same thing…  wow the new JSB is pretty close to those 1 and 2 floor units.

In any event, some things of note from my recent snoopings:

1. Lots of brick mortar work to be done!

2. Over the last few months i have seen a lot of  wainscotting being removed on a daily basis.  I guess it's out with the old and in with the new!

3. The south wall has been tagged!  Looks like the taggers were using the scaffolding before it got moved.  

Attached Images

• 2014_08_Brick_04.jpg
  • 2015_01_02.jpg
  • 2015_01_04.jpg

#723 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:33 AM

IMG_2575.JPG

IMG_2556.JPG

IMG_2559.JPG

IMG_2563.JPG

• Nparker likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#724 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:49 PM

That section of the south retaining wall they were working on at the end of January is finished and they're now back-filling behind it.

16505821495_cce6d5ac63_h.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#725 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:51 AM

IMG_2897.JPG

IMG_2909.JPG

• Mike K. likes this

#726 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 February 2015 - 01:11 PM

Thanks Marko!  We always appreciate your weekly updates from around town :)

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#727 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,554 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:12 PM

February 17.

The-Janion-February-17-2015a.jpg

The-Janion-February-17-2015b.jpg

The-Janion-February-17-2015c.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#728 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:09 AM

Discussion on CBC's The Current last Wednesday with Reliance's Jon Stovell and others about micro-condos : http://www.cbc.ca/ra...using-1.2962268

I didn't know that the Janion is the first development in Canada to sell 300 sqft units -- Reliance has built them in Vancouver, but current bylaws only allow them for rent. Also interesting/bizarre to hear the claims by others on the show that micro-condos might be subject to more wear and tear, and actually reinforce personal isolation.

Edited by Jacques Cadé, 20 February 2015 - 09:12 AM.

#729 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:17 AM

I didn't know that the Janion is the first development in Canada to sell 300 sqft units -- Reliance has built them in Vancouver, but current bylaws only allow them for rent. Also interesting/bizarre to hear the claims by others on the show that micro-condos might be subject to more wear and tear, and actually reinforce personal isolation.

I'm not sure how wear and tear is more.  Ya, you have more sets of residents in the halls, but most units are single occupant.  Rather than 2 or more in most other condos.

70' hallway.  10 suites, you get 20 people walking up and down the halls.  20 microsuites, you have 20 people walking up and down halls.

"Reinforce personal isolation"?  I don't even know what that means.  I like living alone, have done it for 25 years.  I'm still social.

• Mixed365 likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#730 thekenster

thekenster
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:50 AM

I'm not sure how wear and tear is more.  Ya, you have more sets of residents in the halls, but most units are single occupant.  Rather than 2 or more in most other condos.

70' hallway.  10 suites, you get 20 people walking up and down the halls.  20 microsuites, you have 20 people walking up and down halls.

"Reinforce personal isolation"?  I don't even know what that means.  I like living alone, have done it for 25 years.  I'm still social.

The thing that I would expect to increase wear and tear on common areas and units is the zoning which allows for nightly/weekly rentals. More transient use leaves no question that there will be increased wear and tear due to increased traffic. The isolation issue is a bit hard to understand - I have lived in high-rise apts in Vanc. and TO where I never got to know who lived on my floor, sometimes not even next door. Common areas and neighbourhood amenities are more important for micro-loft livability and that seems to increase the likelihood for social connections not decrease it.

#731 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:30 AM

IMG_3136.JPG

IMG_3145.JPG

IMG_3142.JPG

• Baro, Nparker and jonny like this

#732 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:28 PM

CoolSmiley.jpg

#733 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:30 PM

They have a bit of good luck--the soil conditions are more favourable in spots than planned meaning they don't have to drive as many piles into the ground which will save time and money.

• Nparker and JanionGuy like this

#734 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:14 PM

The thing that I would expect to increase wear and tear on common areas and units is the zoning which allows for nightly/weekly rentals. More transient use leaves no question that there will be increased wear and tear due to increased traffic. The isolation issue is a bit hard to understand - I have lived in high-rise apts in Vanc. and TO where I never got to know who lived on my floor, sometimes not even next door. Common areas and neighbourhood amenities are more important for micro-loft livability and that seems to increase the likelihood for social connections not decrease it.

Would tourist use really increase wear and tear more?  On door hinges?  Carpet?  I dunno.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#735 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:13 PM

Yep, I could see half the places up on airbnb for sure. Anyway, I'm pretty happy with this development so far and it reall does seem to be a perfect fit for this long derelict location so I am hard pressed to summon any criticism...

#736 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:52 PM

I agree with you in terms of the wear and tear, but keep in mind, with tourists/visitor/nightly renters they are barely in the unit as they want to go experience things outside, so, this could lead to a quieter building. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#737 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:10 PM

all good points as regards to wear and tear.  But as the owner of a couple of rental units in other cities from time to time, i can tell you from ALL certainty… vacation rentals add to wear and tear above and beyond part- or full-time residents.  

Whether or not visitors are there for a long time, or are coming and going, a transient guest just doesn't really care. So the wear and tear is more a function of "i don't need to wipe my feet" or "i've paid for a cleaning fee, so i just don't care about my wear and tear".  Just my opinion.  But i'm still planning on renting my JANION unit. The location, and zoning, is just perfect!

• Rob Randall likes this

#738 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:16 PM

Would tourist use really increase wear and tear more?  On door hinges?  Carpet?  I dunno.

Possibly, but your maintenance guy should be going through once a month or so doing touch-ups in any case. What does have an impact is garbage and recycling. As mentioned above, non-owners often don't give a damn. I've seen visitors actually leave garbage bags in the stairwell. Sometimes I think they actually think room service is going to show up. Security is another issue. Short term visitors will let any old crack addict follow them through the front door.

#739 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,554 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 06:48 AM

The last one, exactly. As someone who has rented multiple VRBO and airbnb homes I'll tell ya, some homes come with explicit, easy to grasp instructions, while others leave you scratching your head. It'd be great if there was a standard form made available by all home owners who rent their homes in that fashion. It would further help of the brokers reviewed the info and provided feedback if they felt the info was lacking.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#740 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:06 AM

I guess my question is how much wear and tear they can possibly put on common areas. Carpet is not expensive in the grand scheme of it.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users