Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#8521 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:41 PM

An actually scientifically conducted poll in 2016 found the exact opposite: https://drive.google...VJlzJbNvB_/view

My guess is that a lot of people were more supportive of them beforehand but then seeing how they actually turned out, the budget overruns, etc, might now have a much less favourable view. I think if the polling question had said "with good planning, competent oversight and on budget", the result might also have been different.

#8522 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:21 PM

My guess is that a lot of people were more supportive of them beforehand but then seeing how they actually turned out, the budget overruns, etc, might now have a much less favourable view. I think if the polling question had said "with good planning, competent oversight and on budget", the result might also have been different.

Well, we're about to find out, as they are redoing that poll this fall I believe. And my guess is the exact opposite: bike lanes are the their own best advocates.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#8523 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 August 2019 - 11:48 PM

^ If-when that poll gets done, any way we could see the wording of the actual questions that are asked?  Curious because a poll's wording can make a huge difference to the results obtained.

• Love the rock and A Girl is No one like this

#8524 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 10 August 2019 - 06:53 AM

Well, we're about to find out, as they are redoing that poll this fall I believe. And my guess is the exact opposite: bike lanes are the their own best advocates.

And the target group will be a random sampling of citizens on the street as they are truly the ones impacted? or residents of CoV and users of the lanes?

Interested in who the target group is, the questions and of course who is asking for the poll and who is doing said poll ...

#8525 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:06 AM

If we were to run a poll on Facebook right now we’d see an overwhelming sentiment against them.

Corey, do you have the budget offhand for the Wharf lanes that have already opened, which Helps says came in under budget?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8526 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:47 AM

And the target group will be a random sampling of citizens on the street as they are truly the ones impacted? or residents of CoV and users of the lanes?

Interested in who the target group is, the questions and of course who is asking for the poll and who is doing said poll ...

if you'd read the report, it would tell you that it was random digit dialing, looking for residents & employees of four of the core munis (Victoria, Saanich, Oak Bay, Esquimalt) and weighted after surveying is complete.

#8527 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 10 August 2019 - 11:29 AM

if you'd read the report, it would tell you that it was random digit dialing, looking for residents & employees of four of the core munis (Victoria, Saanich, Oak Bay, Esquimalt) and weighted after surveying is complete.

I'm talking about the new poll not the past poll...

#8528 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:15 AM

Question re that detour around the grassy area by Vancouver St. What do you do if you're coming from the opposite direction and are travelling south on Vancouver? Do I have to drive miles out of my way to get home, esp. from dropping off garden waste which is impossible on a bike?

#8529 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,765 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:43 AM

I believe southbound vehicle traffic on Vancouver Street will be allowed to proceed through the Pandora intersection as it currently does (although probably slower than it does now). The bizarre, 3/4 block, eastern detour for northbound traffic could only be engineered in the CoV.

#8530 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:05 AM

The mayor loves the newly created mess on Victoria's roads.

mess.gif

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8531 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:35 AM

No concerns for green house gases from our mayor here whatsoever ... and I say this as a user of those bike lanes... I just dislike the hypocrisy ...
  • rmpeers likes this

#8532 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,765 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:54 AM

Has Her Worseship now opted to take a "messy" bike to get to those innumerable national/international junkets she feels its her right to attend?

• A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#8533 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:10 AM

It seems the twitter user and Helps are referring to different types of messes. The twitter user refers to the mess of infrastructure planning. And thats a valid complaint- a good design should be intuitive, simple, and not require paid ambassadors on hand to educate cyclists.

Helps is referring to the 'messiness' of vibrancy. Which i agree, it is nice to see so many peds and cyclists on wharf.

I use the new wharf bike lanes everyday and i think its a great addition, and very clearly well-used. But the whole design down there is really shitty. It's over-engineered, overly complex, and pretty frustrating for everyone now (peds, bikes, cars)...
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#8534 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:48 AM

Who pays for those? Is it just CoV people or do OB, Saanich and Esquimalt pay for the bike lanes too?
If those cities/townships don’t pay, then I can see how they wouldn’t mind more of other people’s money being spent on those.

#8535 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:11 PM

If you buy gas, you pay.

A big chunk of the money for these lanes comes from gas taxes.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

Know it all.

#8536 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:40 PM

Who pays for those? Is it just CoV people or do OB, Saanich and Esquimalt pay for the bike lanes too?
If those cities/townships don’t pay, then I can see how they wouldn’t mind more of other people’s money being spent on those.

If you clicked through to the page, you'd have read the study I mentioned is funded by the Canadian Institutes for Health Research

#8537 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 01:59 PM

The mayor loves the newly created mess on Victoria's roads.

mess.gif

This suggests one of the main purposes of Biketoria was indeed to make motorists uncomfortable and inconvenience them. So of course the mayor is happy. The plan to upset people who are different from her is a huge success. Remember, if you are not part of ze fit und healthy bike-riding embodiment of perfection, ve do not vant you here.
  • Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#8538 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 02:10 PM

What an absolute nut job she is.

• Love the rock and A Girl is No one like this

#8539 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:01 PM

According to Google Maps’ traffic data, Wharf is now the slowest/most congested road in downtown Victoria.

Know it all.

#8540 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:12 PM

If you clicked through to the page, you'd have read the study I mentioned is funded by the Canadian Institutes for Health Research

I meant who pays for the bike lanes, not the study. Mike answered my question. 😊

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users