Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#8541 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:34 PM

Has Her Worseship now opted to take a "messy" bike to get to those innumerable national/international junkets she feels its her right to attend?

Of course not. She's maxing out on mayoral air junkets before she's done with CoV's beleaguered taxpayers.

#8542 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,712 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:10 PM

A narrow concrete island/curb has been poured along Vancouver Street from Pandora to Mason, about a meter or so out from the sidewalk adjacent to the new Bosa rental building. Presumably this is for a "protected" bike lane.

#8543 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 12 August 2019 - 04:57 PM

A narrow concrete island/curb has been poured along Vancouver Street from Pandora to Mason, about a meter or so out from the sidewalk adjacent to the new Bosa rental building. Presumably this is for a "protected" bike lane.

Are you putting the word protected in quotes because you feel you could still jump that with a motor vehicle if the need arose?

#8544 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:23 PM

Are you putting the word protected in quotes because you feel you could still jump that with a motor vehicle if the need arose?

Can't speak for NParker, but there have been many comments that having a concrete curb on either side of the bike lane causes bikes to be less protected as they can't avoid each other.

I also can't speak for bikers that don't follow the rules and jump the lane......not that would ever happen.

Edited by On the Level, 12 August 2019 - 09:24 PM.

#8545 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:01 AM

Can't speak for NParker, but there have been many comments that having a concrete curb on either side of the bike lane causes bikes to be less protected as they can't avoid each other.

I also can't speak for bikers that don't follow the rules and jump the lane......not that would ever happen.

My understanding is that the protected part of protected bike lanes is protection from motor vehicles, not from other bicycles.

You can't really speak for anyone other than yourself, but I don't imagine that you would be jumping the curb on either a bicycle or in a motor vehicle.

• Danma likes this

#8546 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:44 AM

Yeah... Other cyclists are not my main safety concern when I'm riding my bike downtown. I don't need protection from other cyclists anymore than I feel I need protection from other pedestrians when walking on the sidewalk. It's an entirely different story when I'm required to mix in with 4000 lb metal boxes that can hurl themselves at 3x my speed with ease, whose drivers are often enraged at the mere sight of me. Even the painted lanes can be nerve-racking (try squeezing between the car traffic and bus bays around the Bay Centre on Douglas and tell me again how much more cyclists are protected without an actual physical barrier between you and motor traffic).

On a different note, there is a slick new bike counter for the Wharf Street bike lanes at the plaza next to the scramble crosswalk, that also has a digital clock and tells you the temperature (though this feature didn't seem to be working yet). Does anyone (perhaps Corey Burger) know if there's a website that you can view bike stats for this counter, similar to the Galloping Goose one?

• Greg likes this

#8547 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:27 PM

Does anyone (perhaps Corey Burger) know if there's a website that you can view bike stats for this counter, similar to the Galloping Goose one?

In theory yes, not sure of the number of the counter

#8548 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:16 PM

According to Google Maps’ traffic data, Wharf is now the slowest/most congested road in downtown Victoria.

Just wait a month or two when the rain starts....and no one but the devoted want to ride their bicycles.  

• newbie_01 likes this

#8549 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:31 AM

Just wait a month or two when the rain starts....and no one but the devoted want to ride their bicycles.  

It might be more than you think it will.  Wait, how many do you think are devoted?

#8550 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:30 PM

Speaking of devoted cyclists, the Tour de Victoria is this Saturday, so expect lots of closed roads and folks in lycra. Looking forward to doing 100km again this year!

#8551 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:46 PM

It might be more than you think it will.  Wait, how many do you think are devoted?

5 out of every 100?

#8552 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:27 PM

I think in winter ridership is a little less than half, at least that's from my observation of the Borden/McKenzie counter. Like 1,500 on a nice summer day and four or five hundred on a decent winter day. Rain has an effect on the numbers winter or summer.

• Danma likes this

#8553 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:33 PM

I think in winter ridership is a little less than half, at least that's from my observation of the Borden/McKenzie counter. Like 1,500 on a nice summer day and four or five hundred on a decent winter day. Rain has an effect on the numbers winter or summer.

That would be a third or less.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#8554 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:44 AM

That would be a third or less.

Yeah I never really count bikes but I do pay attention to the lanes as I'm walking.  I would assuming about a 25-35% during worse weather periods.  Especially with commuters, the weather will affect the joy riding much more obvs.

#8555 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:59 AM

Speaking of counters, this was installed by the Tourist Info Centre:

bike_counter.JPG

• Mike K. and Danma like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#8556 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,511 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:03 AM

The Great Trail? That's the first I've heard of that.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8557 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:09 AM

The Great Trail? That's the first I've heard of that.

They rebranding the TransCanada Trail a few years ago and this part of Wharf is on that

#8558 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,511 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:35 AM

Ohhhh. Interesting.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8559 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:39 AM

^ Interesting that the official map includes portions that have not been built yet, such as a bridge across Rock Bay from Bridge Street

#8560 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:04 AM

5 out of every 100?

I think it's about 30% or so? Pretty good turnout on cloudy days in winter, not so good when it's actually pouring out.

In the last winter there were maybe 2 weeks in which it was snowing or too rainy to ride to work and back for me. Mostly just drizzle and cloud.

EDIT: oh, didn't read further down yet. OK, looks like that's pretty close...

Edited by Danma, 15 August 2019 - 10:04 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users