Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#10321 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 07:40 AM

Think about where government likes to put them now.

At libraries. At random parking stalls downtown. At random parks, etc.

Aka where 99% of the population doesn’t go.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10322 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 April 2022 - 10:37 PM

Nothing wrong with capitalism charging what consumers will pay, and putting chargers where they’ll get the most use.

Society shouldn’t be subsidizing rich people buying expensive brand new electric cars.

Perhaps, but sooner or later in theory we'll all be buying (hopefully) less-expensive electric cars, which will still need charging.  Lack of infrastructure (and non-standardized chargers where they do exist) is hardly an encouragement to go out and get one now.

That’s the problem with government, they will put them in all the wrong places.

Make it easy for supermarkets to add them and you’ve got a winning model.

Indeed - supermarkets, restaurants, malls, theaters, hotels, and anywhere else people are likely to stay put for a while.

There is a rather large cohort of people who otherwise can't even think of getting an electric car for the foreseeable future, those being renters in apartment blocks (many such buildings probably won't get chargers until someone forces it by legislation) and owners of condos where the strata council decides not to install chargers.

#10323 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 03 April 2022 - 01:08 AM

As Marko said, soon enough multi family buildings with no chargers will become much less attractive. They’ll still exist, but they will mostly be for younger and older people, and others that don’t drive.

Another place chargers can be located of course, is workplaces. Lots of people drive to work and leave the car outside for 6 or 10 hours.

Office buildings, schools, hospitals, the airport etc. if you just had 8 central locations for charging downtown, where there is a very strong penalty for taking up a charge stall but not using it, and you’d have all your downtown parkers covered that need it.

In some multi family housing, the solution won’t yet be to have one in every personal parking stall, but again a common charger or more, again with a penalty to be there and not charging.

But, as Marko also noted, at one time it was mostly unheard of to have insuite laundry. It was expensive both for the plumbing and the machines and it took up some space. And ongoing maintenance. Now it’s a given. And I’d argue a charger today is not as complex or troublesome or expensive as laundry sets, all told. A 30-car underground parking garage today costs $2 million to build ($65,000 per car). Adding 30 chargers there at the construction stage is a very small fraction of that cost.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 April 2022 - 01:17 AM.

#10324 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 03 April 2022 - 08:09 AM

There is a rather large cohort of people who otherwise can't even think of getting an electric car for the foreseeable future, those being renters in apartment blocks (many such buildings probably won't get chargers until someone forces it by legislation) and owners of condos where the strata council decides not to install chargers.

Sure they can. They just can’t plug in at their stall, but they can use charging stations.

None of them currently have a gas station at their apartment building.

It’s still a wealthy person’s game if you’re buying an EV with any kind of range. We shouldn’t be subsidizing wealthy people buying $60k-$150k new vehicles. That’s bonkers.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10325 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 03 April 2022 - 08:17 AM

It’s still a wealthy person’s game if you’re buying an EV with any kind of range. We shouldn’t be subsidizing wealthy people buying $60k-$150k new vehicles. That’s bonkers.

MSRP: $38,198 CAD

Range: 417 kilometres 

6037250edcfcd.jpg

The bowtie-brand’s all-electric Chevrolet Bolt hatchback is as sensible as it is efficient. It’s also the top-ranging EV at 417km on a full charge, making it the ideal choice for anyone worried about range for road trips and long commutes. It comes with a reasonable starting price of $38,198. With the $5,000 federal rebate and any potential provincial rebates or EV incentives, the Chevrolet Bolt offers excellent value.

https://www.canadadr...-cars-in-canada

In BC you can get $8,000 combined federal and provincial rebate for the base model Bolt.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 April 2022 - 08:21 AM.

#10326 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 03 April 2022 - 08:26 AM

The equivalent Chevy 4-banger gets 700km to a tank and costs $11,000.

This is still a rich man’s game.

Know it all.

#10327 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 03 April 2022 - 08:29 AM

The equivalent Chevy 4-banger gets 700km to a tank and costs $11,000.

This is still a rich man’s game.

You can get a manual-transmission 98 HP Spark for under $13,000. 

A Bolt has ~200 HP.   So not sure that's an equivalent.

https://blog.clutch....-cars-in-canada

Other cheap cars are more like $18,000+.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 April 2022 - 08:31 AM.

#10328 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 03 April 2022 - 08:30 AM

Sure they can. They just can’t plug in at their stall, but they can use charging stations. None of them currently have a gas station at their apartment building...

This. As a strata owner, I don't currently assist in my fellow residents' gasoline purchases. I don't see why I should be involved in the fueling of their electric vehicles.

#10329 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 03 April 2022 - 08:40 AM

This thread is quite off-topic?

#10330 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 03 April 2022 - 08:40 AM

I have recently purchased a jet engine attached to a generator, and it all goes into the back of my truck.  At night I can come by your apartment building and charge up your Bolt in just 35 minutes.

22-1495430140-volkswagen-pickup-truck-tr

And warm up the underground parking garage too.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 April 2022 - 08:41 AM.

• todd likes this

#10331 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 03 April 2022 - 08:41 AM

You can get a manual-transmission 98 HP Spark for under $13,000.

A Bolt has ~200 HP. So not sure that's an equivalent.

https://blog.clutch....-cars-in-canada

Other cheap cars are more like $18,000+.

$10,398 according to Chevy’s website.

The Bolt is tiny shopping cart. Rich people buy them as their third car.

Know it all.

#10332 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 03 April 2022 - 09:52 AM

This. As a strata owner, I don't currently assist in my fellow residents' gasoline purchases. I don't see why I should be involved in the fueling of their electric vehicles.

(You certainly do in the form of fossil fuel subsidies by our Federal government to the suppliers.)

All vehicle owners ought to chip in towards dropping the use of gasoline imo, and charging stations are seen (rightly or wrongly) as a means to that end.

Though, until more than 5% of the main component, the electric batteries, are being eventually recycled (eg. through a battery deposit process), the EV concept being a help to our environment appears iffy to me.

#10333 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 03 April 2022 - 10:19 AM

You certainly do in the form of fossil fuel subsidies by our Federal government to the suppliers...

And I will continue to do so if government "invests" in EV charging stations across the country. All the more reason I don't need to subsidize my neighbours with EV charging in my building.

#10334 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 25 April 2022 - 01:11 PM

An excellent investment of CoV tax dollars.

Screenshot 2022-04-25 140913.png

#10335 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 25 April 2022 - 01:45 PM

I drove Vancouver on the weekend. Wow! Great for the residents who only bike. I will say the bike network in Rotterdam is what made it livable. But even their bike lanes were not as overly robust and complicated. 

#10336 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 03:44 AM

Others, including the reallocation of space on Tillicum Road for protected bike lanes, are proceeding as planned.

Mersereau describes the 800-metre stretch, between Arena Road near Tillicum Centre to Gorge Road, as “harsh and uninviting” for pedestrians and cyclists.

Two of the existing five motor vehicle lanes will be removed and replaced with protected cycling lanes. When completed, the lanes will qualify as an all ages and abilities — AAA — bike route.

https://www.timescol...t-years-5679455

So this road has had 4 vehicle lanes (I don't think it has 5, as the article says) for 40 or 50 or more years, and now less are required?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 August 2022 - 03:47 AM.

#10337 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 03:46 AM

Two of five? Tillicum is one of the rare four lane thoroughfares. There is no span between Arena Road and Gorge Road that is five lanes, save for small turning lanes at either end of the span.
  • Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#10338 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 04:16 AM

And like almost all cycling infrastructure in our region it will be used by only a fraction of the number of people it previously served.
  • Barrrister likes this

#10339 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 04:20 AM

Have you seen what’s been done at the Tillicum Road Bridge?

It used to be two lanes in both directions, now it’s one lane southbound.

Know it all.

#10340 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 08:47 AM

https://twitter.com/TristinHopper

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)