Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
10338 replies to this topic

#10281 Danma

Danma
  • 823 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 09:04 AM

On the westshore there's three middle schools, which means that many schools are not within walking distance to a lot of people. There is no middle school north of the highway, for example, nor is there a high school. I would encourage my kids to bike to school but I don't feel 100% comfortable about my kids biking on Millstream to cross the highway. They would have to be in the bike lanes, but then they're on a busy road full of cement mixers and dump trucks.

It's great that the E&N path runs east-west and the Goose cuts through the south half of Langford, but there are no good north-south routes, and surprisingly few paths that lead to middle or high schools.

Edited by Danma, 22 November 2021 - 09:08 AM.

#10282 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 70,828 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 09:13 AM

I agree, where distances and practicality dictate and the parents can drive that's fine. But it's gotten to the point now where it's pretty bonkers. My neighbour drives his teenager to her middle school, for example. The walk is 15 minutes if you're dragging your feet. I see parents getting into cars in Vic West, and driving their kids to Vic West Elementary. The walk couldn't be more than 10 minutes.

• Danma likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10283 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 70,828 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 09:30 AM

Jeez, I was at a friend's place and we were doing some repair work, and the wife walks in panicking that we forgot to pick up the kid. I said no worries, I'll go get the kid. Kid was 13, and his walk from school was through suburban quiet streets, no more than 20 minutes. And funnily enough, it's the same walk I did when I was in grades 3 and 4.

• mbjj likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10284 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 01:05 PM

This is something I never understood. From Grade 2 onwards, I was always walking to school, whether it was a 5 min walk, or 25 min walk. Granted, both my parents worked, so I never really had an option to get a ride. But it was the same with a lot of my friends in those days too. Rarely would I ever walk alone, as most of the kids in our neighbourhood would walk as well. 

Regarding biking, I never biked to school back then. Maybe biking wasn't as popular or "cool" in those days, who knows. Although now I wonder why not - would have helped with the 25 min walk to junior high and high school. But these days, I definitely think traffic danger is a deterrent for kids to bike to school, especially in the West Shore. Where I live now, if a child was going to bike to the local elementary school, they would have to bike along both Pandora and Fort. Would I want my elementary aged child going along there by themselves? Not a chance. And with the amount of cycling intrastructure in the West Shore, or lack thereof, I sense a lot of families would feel the same. Unless they were lucky enough that they could access the local school on quiet streets only. But having to cross any of the highways? Going along one of the busy arterials? No thanks.

#10285 Danma

Danma
  • 823 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 02:00 PM

This is something I never understood. From Grade 2 onwards, I was always walking to school, whether it was a 5 min walk, or 25 min walk. Granted, both my parents worked, so I never really had an option to get a ride. But it was the same with a lot of my friends in those days too. Rarely would I ever walk alone, as most of the kids in our neighbourhood would walk as well. 

Regarding biking, I never biked to school back then. Maybe biking wasn't as popular or "cool" in those days, who knows. Although now I wonder why not - would have helped with the 25 min walk to junior high and high school. But these days, I definitely think traffic danger is a deterrent for kids to bike to school, especially in the West Shore. Where I live now, if a child was going to bike to the local elementary school, they would have to bike along both Pandora and Fort. Would I want my elementary aged child going along there by themselves? Not a chance. And with the amount of cycling intrastructure in the West Shore, or lack thereof, I sense a lot of families would feel the same. Unless they were lucky enough that they could access the local school on quiet streets only. But having to cross any of the highways? Going along one of the busy arterials? No thanks.

Yeah, that's our exact issue. It's an hour walk which is just excessively far... but there's no side roads or paths because Langford can't design neighbourhoods to save their lives and stuff like a pedestrian bridge across the highway from around where Mr. Mike's is was scrapped ages ago.

#10286 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 02:25 PM

Yeah, that's our exact issue. It's an hour walk which is just excessively far... but there's no side roads or paths because Langford can't design neighbourhoods to save their lives and stuff like a pedestrian bridge across the highway from around where Mr. Mike's is was scrapped ages ago.

Yeah I only recently learned about this whole debacle. For residents in the Florence Lake area, they had their walk essentially doubled from their neighbourhood to the Goldstream Ave. strip. I don't fully know the history, but I recall that Langford said they'd build the pedestrian bridge as part of the highway upgrade, then decided it was the Province's responsibility, and basically said not our problem. People kept illegally crossing the highway to save the huge walk around, so Langford's solution was to install fencing to prevent that, instead of recognzing that maybe they should dip into their financial reserves and build a pedestrian bridge or underpass. 

• Danma likes this

#10287 Danma

Danma
  • 823 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 02:42 PM

It might improve once all the undeveloped lands around Costco etc. are built and new roads and paths are implemented... but I'm not holding my breath.

#10288 freedom_2008

freedom_2008
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 05:37 PM

Traffic dangers?

I think that’s the first time I’ve heard that excuse as the reason. The families in my circles say their kids don’t have time to walk to school, or that they might get abducted, or that it’s too wet, too cold, too hot. But it all comes down to that choice being there, and kids loving it. Who wouldn’t?

The odds are greater for an average Canadian to be hit by lightning than a kid under age 18 to be abducted by a stranger. https://www.macleans...ur-kids-safety/

In Canada, road traffic injuries are the leading cause of death among children and youth ≤19. Motor-vehicle collisions (MVCs) accounted for 50% of all transport-related injury costs, followed by pedal cyclists (14%) and pedestrians (11%). https://bmcpublichea...2889-018-6269-9

#10289 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 33,707 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 05:57 PM

So what is the higher chance for injury?  Car crash in your parents' car on way to school, or random car hitting you as you walk to school?

#10290 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 70,828 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 08:09 AM

I dunno, busy roads were still busy roads when I was a kid. Even busier in some regards. Craigflower was three or four lanes, wasn’t it? Now it’s two.

Upper Fort was three or four lanes, now it’s two. Lights used to be synced along downtown blocks, now they’re not so traffic moves slower.

I’d be inclined to say it’s never been a safer time to be a pedestrian in this city.

Know it all.

#10291 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 03:30 PM

Right, but I was saying how I wouldn't be comfortable with my child biking along Pandora and Fort Street. I would be more comfortable with them walking.

• Mike K. likes this

#10292 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 03:57 PM

Jeez, I was at a friend's place and we were doing some repair work, and the wife walks in panicking that we forgot to pick up the kid. I said no worries, I'll go get the kid. Kid was 13, and his walk from school was through suburban quiet streets, no more than 20 minutes. And funnily enough, it's the same walk I did when I was in grades 3 and 4.

In the Dark Ages, we were riding our bikes to school by grade two, lol. We loved walking to and from school, that was the social and gossip time. We sometimes walked early to school so we could hog the swings. My daughter walked to school from about grade 4 onwards as we were close (though Vic High was pretty far), but my nephew who lives out in behind Thetis Lake has to drive his kids as the school is quite far away. 

#10293 todd

todd
  • 10,843 posts

Posted 31 December 2021 - 02:18 PM

I think it’s foolish to spend more than $2250 on an ebike. Plenty of good bikes for that price or less. wouldn’t want to worry about something more expensive than that? Most local suppliers only seem to carry the expensive ones?

I’ve always assumed you were a rich person.

Looks like the manufacture of my ebike just put the price up by $500
  • Matt R. likes this

#10294 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 31 December 2021 - 08:15 PM

In Canada, road traffic injuries are the leading cause of death among children and youth ≤19. Motor-vehicle collisions (MVCs) accounted for 50% of all transport-related injury costs, followed by pedal cyclists (14%) and pedestrians (11%). https://bmcpublichea...2889-018-6269-9

Given that most trips are by car, I would expect the percentage of injuries to be higher. It would be better to report injuries by trip and by km travelled.

#10295 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 31 December 2021 - 08:17 PM

In the Dark Ages, we were riding our bikes to school by grade two, lol.

My mom walked me to my first day of grade 1, then after that I walked to school with a friend. Better days....
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#10296 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 22 February 2022 - 07:53 AM

The Seattle area’s recent decision to abandon its mandatory bike helmet law seems to be based more on stupidity than science. If we were more diligent in enforcing our bike helmet law, we’d sure recover a lot of stolen bikes.

https://www.timescol...lements-5087623

#10297 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 33,707 posts

Posted 25 February 2022 - 01:34 AM

Esquimalt council has unanimously approved a plan to build an active transportation network over the next five to 10 years.

The plan aims to improve infrastructure for people walking or cycling in the township.

“The Active Transportation Network Plan process provided an opportunity for the Township to comprehensively assess where we are at with active transportation and create a blueprint for Esquimalt’s future network,” said Mayor Barbara Desjardins. “Council was pleased to endorse the plan and we look forward to seeing it come to fruition”.

Staff began work on the project in October 2020, and after a process that included consultation with residents and businesses, brought the plan to council on Feb. 7.

https://www.cheknews...network-958453/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 February 2022 - 01:34 AM.

#10298 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 33,707 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 05:29 AM

As riders now have several bike routes to downtown, Victoria staff have hinted at cycle-securing improvements coming in the weeks and months ahead.

During a climate action progress presentation to council last month, Sarah Webb, manager of sustainable transportation planning and development, outlined some already funded initiatives the city is getting ready to roll out.

Retrofits are coming to the Yates Street parkade that will enhance its bike parking area. The city looks to improve the layout and bike rack facilities at the parkade, which has covered spots and security-guard presence.

https://www.saanichn...victoria-soon/#

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 March 2022 - 05:29 AM.

• freedom_2008 likes this

#10299 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 33,707 posts

Posted 12 March 2022 - 09:59 AM

‘Breaking down barriers’: New Victoria lending library offers kids bikes, not books

Bikes for kids aged two to four currently available, with more options coming soon

https://www.vicnews....kes-not-books/#

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 March 2022 - 09:59 AM.

#10300 todd

todd
  • 10,843 posts

Posted 27 March 2022 - 06:49 PM

Why aren’t ebike charging stations a thing? It’s just an outlet next to a bike rack

Cars get a station

Edited by todd, 27 March 2022 - 07:05 PM.

• qv likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users