Victoria radio stations

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

#101 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,631 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:54 PM

Yep....radio on-air (or behind the scenes for that matter as program directors are falling like flies as well) is definitely not a hot career choice these days. 

#102 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:19 AM

I would suggest that you are correct too, however, for talk radio I am betting CKNW has more Victoria listeners than 90.5 CBC does and eats into CFAX audience quite a bit.

You don't consider CBC to be talk radio?
Pieta VanDyke

#103 VictoriaSportsNews

VictoriaSportsNews
  • 27 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC (Saanich)

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:40 PM

You don't consider CBC to be talk radio?

I haven't said that or inferred that, in fact I said that CKNW probably - and I am only guessing - has more Victoria listeners than CBC does, which tells you right there I am comparing competition: talk radio vs talk radio. Perhaps they don't, but like I say, I wouldn't be surprised.

Christopher Kelsall,
Owner
Victoria Sports News
Athletics Illustrated

Victoria Run Series

chris@victoriasportsnews.com

@VSNSportsNews
Facebook
www.victoriasportsnews.com
www.athleticsillustrated.com
www.victoriarunseries.com

#104 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,631 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:11 PM

I haven't said that or inferred that, in fact I said that CKNW probably - and I am only guessing - has more Victoria listeners than CBC does, which tells you right there I am comparing competition: talk radio vs talk radio. Perhaps they don't, but like I say, I wouldn't be surprised.

Hard to know for certain today; in the past I would agree 100% that CKNW had far more listeners here than did CBC, but since the heyday of the station (roughly from 1980-2000) 'NW has been completely gutted and is a pale shadow of its former self. Today I would be not at all surprised if CBC has a considerable lead in terms of audience share in the CRD.

#105 Coopershawk

Coopershawk
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:37 AM

Hard to know for certain today; in the past I would agree 100% that CKNW had far more listeners here than did CBC, but since the heyday of the station (roughly from 1980-2000) 'NW has been completely gutted and is a pale shadow of its former self. Today I would be not at all surprised if CBC has a considerable lead in terms of audience share in the CRD.

We listen to CBC Vancouver and not Victoria.

#106 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:11 AM

You think the most popular station in Victoria is CKNW?

One thing that makes Vancouver TV and radio almost unlistenable to me is the incessant and irrelevant traffic reports. If you totalled it up I estimate six months of my life has been spent hearing the phrase "...traffic is backed up on the Port Mann"
  • lanforod likes this

#107 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:12 AM

One thing that makes Vancouver TV and radio almost unlistenable to me is the incessant and irrelevant traffic reports. If you totalled it up I estimate six months of my life has been spent hearing the phrase "...traffic is backed up on the Port Mann"

I kinda miss the wait times for the Albion Ferry though.  When that ferry was cancelled, I lost interest in Mainland radio.  Man, sometimes that ferry had a 3-sailing wait.  That's exciting stuff.

• Rob Randall likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#108 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:15 AM

I liked Phillip Till and John McComb, but now when it's mixed in with boring traffic.  And Till retired and McComb does not have the same chemistry matched with a 22-year-old.

• AllseeingEye likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#109 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,631 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:14 AM

I liked Phillip Till and John McComb, but now when it's mixed in with boring traffic.  And Till retired and McComb does not have the same chemistry matched with a 22-year-old.

Till, McComb, Frosty Forst....they've lost a lot of talent over the years @ NW and haven't been able to replace it nearly adequately enough.

Graham Hatch is a good friend and very well known YVR broadcaster who quite openly and plainly will tell anyone willing to listen to 'stay well away' from radio as a career which is a pretty sad indictment of the state of the industry. He's moved around in the last decade from something like six different stations due to consolidations, buy-outs and the need to be creative to keep the career and income flowing. Remember back in the day before he passed away Fred Latremouille used to do the weather on BCTV on a part time, fill-in basis, his radio show on CFUN and voice over work for TV and radio commercials because none of them by themselves paid the bills. Corporate concentration has meant that the bottom bottom line assumes more importance than ever, so once an on air personality especially reaches a certain point - in salary - they are squarely in the cross-hairs.

Locally I think the only reason Bain and Cliff Lequesene have survived this long on the Q is that presumably their show still pulls in the (ratings) numbers. Re: Forbes and Marshall, salaries aside, I've heard the kiss of death was the fact their ratings had tanked in recent years. 

#110 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:42 AM

I have an 18 year-old at home who has just been accepted into BCIT's broadcasting program and nothing can sway him from the belief that he will one day become an on-air radio personality.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#111 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,511 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:45 AM

I have an 18 year-old at home who has just been accepted into BCIT's broadcasting program and nothing can sway him from the belief that he will one day become an on-air radio personality.

As long as he graduates average at best, CKNW will happily hire him for the evening newscasts. 

God they're dreadful since they canned Terry Bell. 

• Rob Randall and AllseeingEye like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#112 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:56 AM

Oh, if there is enthusiasm, I'm sure a job can be had.  But they do not pay very well.  Having said that, the very top people do very well.   Rush Limbaugh makes over $45M a year on radio.  George Noorey maybe $500k.

#113 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,631 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:58 AM

Good for him don't dissuade him Rob; that is an excellent program and can lead and branch out into lots of related careers. I have two friends who graduated from it way back in the day, neither of whom made a living in radio per se, but rather got into TV and movie production and they're doing really well. As in having a second home in Palm Springs well.

I think if he can content himself with staying in smaller to medium markets - Kamloops, Red Deer - he can still have an excellent radio career if that is *the* goal. Its really get icky in the bigger markets and especially if you work for Corus or Bell.....

• Rob Randall likes this

#114 VictoriaSportsNews

VictoriaSportsNews
  • 27 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC (Saanich)

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:28 AM

No. I hope what I wrote doesn't imply that, what I intended to say is that (I don't know, but) I wouldn't be surprised if CKNW has more Victoria listeners than CBC-Victoria does at 90.5. I still think CFAX would have more listeners in talk radio and I would assume that The Q! + The Zone - yes different format - have more listeners than the others as well. But at the end of the day, I am guessing and assuming.

Christopher Kelsall,
Owner
Victoria Sports News
Athletics Illustrated

Victoria Run Series

chris@victoriasportsnews.com

@VSNSportsNews
Facebook
www.victoriasportsnews.com
www.athleticsillustrated.com
www.victoriarunseries.com

#115 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:33 PM

Ocean 98.5 has announced their new morning radio hosts.  A.J. and Lisa D.

A.J. was part of the team at Hot 103 /Jack Fm with co-host Crash years ago. They had a really good chemistry together but then he was let go.  Most recently AJ was at Kool Fm as mid day host.  I believe his real name is Craig Richards.

http://www.pugetsoun...-show-j-lisa-d/

#116 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:44 AM

Intriguing comment from a friend. Can anyone pick this up?
"Found a pirate radio station at the end of the dial. It's a mix of classic 60s, 70s and 80s hits. No commercials, just the occasional "Arrrgh"! Great working music!"

#117 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,595 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:32 AM

FM?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#118 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,152 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:42 PM

Found a pirate radio station at the end of the dial.

There's a dial?
  • sebberry likes this

#119 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:29 PM

I'm thinking it might be a format switch for an existing station. Some times they do that for a few days to build mystery and listeners.

#120 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,511 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 May 2016 - 02:15 PM

There's a dial?

Yeh, I'm confused about this dial thing...

Untitled-1.jpg

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users