BUILT
The Argus
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 615-635 Fort Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 4
The Argus is a four storey mixed-use office and commercial building in the 600-block of Fort Street.

The bu... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Argus on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Argus | Office, commercial | 4-storeys; 17m | Built - completed in 2014

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#21 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:14 PM

It shouldn't be that long, its out for tender now

#22 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

Aug 1st.

Ralmax has come in to start the demolition. :construction:

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:27 PM

They're not wasting any time on this one, are they?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:07 PM

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

The site is now cleared. I don't think they'll be going underground with this building and it must be one of the only commercial projects built in recent years in Victoria without on-site parking.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

Is this going to be a concrete building?

I imagine it will go up quickly given it is only four stories and there is no underground component. This combined with the Sovereign is positive change for this area of Old Town.

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:21 PM

That's a good question. I don't know whether it'll be concrete or woodframe.

Know it all.

#28 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:28 PM

Its a concrete building with a full underground basement

#29 Stu

Stu
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

Does anyone know where I can find more information on this project? I bought in the Sovereign and want to know whether or not I will be facing a brick wall or if the developer will be including some outdoor space at the rear of the building? (wishful thinking). Is there a 3D design as yet? Are there any further meetings coming up about this project? Any links that anyone has to more information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

Welcome to VV, Stu. This project is approved and construction will be starting soon. There's lots of info on the previous page of this thread (we're on page 2 right now) including renderings.

Going by the renderings it would appear that the first five floors of Sovereign (facing north) will be directly impacted by The Argus and floors 6+ will not have any blocked views.

[Edit] The first six floors of the Sovereign facing north will have their views blocked.

Know it all.

#31 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:10 PM

Does anyone know where I can find more information on this project? I bought in the Sovereign and want to know whether or not I will be facing a brick wall or if the developer will be including some outdoor space at the rear of the building? (wishful thinking). Is there a 3D design as yet? Are there any further meetings coming up about this project? Any links that anyone has to more information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ok, this is hard to describe in writing, but I'll do my best. There is a courtyard between the buildings on west side about 75' long. On the east side the building abuts the Sovereign and Yarrow building and is about 30' long and stops at the 4th floor which is a rooftop deck.

I hope that makes sense. Feel free to ask if that didn't make sense

Welcome to VV, Stu. This project is approved and construction will be starting soon. There's lots of info on the previous page of this thread (we're on page 2 right now) including renderings.

Going by the renderings it would appear that the first five floors of Sovereign (facing north) will be directly impacted by The Argus and floors 6+ will not have any blocked views.

The building is only 4 floors so the 5th floor and above views will not be blocked.

Farmer was the original GC, but they withdrew. Yes construction is close, I don't know who the GC is yet.

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

Argus is four floors, but they are all commercial floors. If you look at the image below you'll see Argus rising to 5.5 of the Yarrow Building's floors, which upon closer inspection corresponds to 6 floors (one more than I originally assumed!) of the Sovereign.

Know it all.

#33 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

Touchee. Yes that makes sense, I forgot commercial units are higher than residential. Argus roof is at 53'4"

#34 Stu

Stu
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

Thanks for your posts. So it sounds like the building will go to the 6th blocking the view. My unit is on the east side.. So if I understand the comment about outside terraces.. The Argus will abut Yarrow and Sovereign until 30' high (?) and then there will be a deck? - would this line up with the deck on the 3rd floor of the sovereign? And then there would be open space...? Any idea of depth of the deck. Would be nice to be looking at a terrace and garden. Thanks again!

#35 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:07 PM

My guess is that the Argus will be set back on the south side starting at the second or third floor, and there will be windows above that.

#36 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:10 PM

Thanks for your posts. So it sounds like the building will go to the 6th blocking the view. My unit is on the east side.. So if I understand the comment about outside terraces.. The Argus will abut Yarrow and Sovereign until 30' high (?) and then there will be a deck? - would this line up with the deck on the 3rd floor of the sovereign? And then there would be open space...? Any idea of depth of the deck. Would be nice to be looking at a terrace and garden. Thanks again!

The deck is at around 42'. I don't have the drawings for the Sovereign so I couldn't tell you what they line up with. the deck is roughly 16'x30'. The open space courtyard is like a giant light well down to 0' or the level of Fort St

#37 Stu

Stu
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

Thanks for the information - much appreciated!

#38 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:08 PM

Farmer was the original GC, but they withdrew. Yes construction is close, I don't know who the GC is yet.

The rumor is Farmer is back in as a possible GC. So far there is no confirmation who it is yet

#39 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

Farmer has erected signage on site now and there was a little bit of activity on-site last week. They'll be up and running very soon by the looks of it.

Know it all.

#40 ryleyb

ryleyb
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:46 AM

They've started excavating today!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users